ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering play at highway + feels unsecure

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Hi
Done tracking adjustment at front about a month ago. Still when driving at highway, The steering wheel play in my hands (feels like margarine). Also, the car pulls a little to left.
Beside go back to the garage that did the tracking, what you suggest to replace at my front ? It is a 172 MK2 K registry with 50k miles.
Track rods ? wishbone bushes ? (the garage that did the tracking said that everything seems to be fine there).
Thank you

Impreza WRX
Try a twisted suspension arm.......... I had this problem with my last car - and he tracking was fine.

It pulled to the left, and scrubbed the insides of tyres for fun !

RS RIP
think they may have given it toe-out , happened to mine and felt like a totally different car. Unsecure steering, like you said. Since most roads are slightly "curbed" (sorry for poor choice of words) for waterdrainage, your wheel will want to search "upwards" because it's pointed slightly outwards.

Did they give you a printout ? Check your toe-settings. Before and after tracking is stated, this will be interesting to look at

Clio MkII 172 K reg
No, they didn't give me a printout.
The front brakes (pads + discs) are almost new (done about 8K miles).
What you suggest to do besides Tracking again (I'll come back to them to check it again for sure (anybody has Renault formal settings for MKII with 195/45 R16 ?))
From the easiest and cheap (can done myself) to complicated and expensive what to check/replace
Track rod ends are easy to change alone ?

may be my absorber mounts need to be replaced (done 50K miles) ?
* how can I know if my steering system is SMI or TRW ?

Last edited:
  Lots of Alfas
I doubt it will be the shock mounts. Sounds like something is possibly bent somewhere or the steering rack is nackered. If you turn the wheel at a stand still is there any play then. Best to get it on ramps and check for play all along the steering rack.

Clio MkII 172 K reg
If the engine is OFF and the key in switch (to not lock the steering) I still can play a little with the steering wheel before the wheels actually turn. This is steering dead spot or a problem ?
Can anybody write with parts I should replace before getting to sttering rack ?
Thank you everyone.