ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering problem following suspension refresh

RenaultSport Clio 182
I've just replaced the following on my FF182:

Standard wishbones
Standard cup shocks front and rear
Cooksport springs
PMS top mounts

After fitting I've had a full geo carried out within spec for the car. However, it's clearly not safe to drive as when I turn left or right, at about a 45 degree turn, the car jerks and turns much sharper into the corner instantly. It's as if the wheels 'jump' onto a faster turning circle if this makes sense?

I'm at a loss as I fitted it all as per the guides I could find and tightened everything up to the correct torque settings.

Any ideas before I strip it down again?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@paul72s
This will (most likely) be the ball joints that are worn. Im guessing it will probably be more pronounced turning one way - either left or right. It can be dicey when doing high speed sweeping bends. Have a search as I dont know how to check or replace them.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Good upgrades by the way, bet that will be blinding once its turning properly.

If you've replaced the wishbones then the ball joints will be new as they come with ball joints already.

My money is on steering rack bushes.

RenaultSport Clio 182
I would have though that too but they are also new on recently.

I've had a look under it today and the OS balljoint is not seated correctly into the hub. Only a couple of mm out compared to the other side which is in nice and snug. Only problem now is it won't go in any further and I've no clearance to get a wooden mallet on it. Guess I'm off down to the garage to get it sorted.

Good spot on the balljoint, thanks.