ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rotary switch?

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Noticed the other day my airbag light is on and the horn doesn't work. Nothing has been adjusted or anything, all fuses are intact so I'm suspecting issues with the steering wheel rotary switch. What would I be paying a garage or auto- sparky to diagnose and sort? Don't fancy playing with airbags etc.

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
And how much are the parts? Can I use one from a breaker car or does it need coded in and have to be new?

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Just had the car on a computer and 4 faults were present. 3 showed as memory only and 1 active. 1 was about low voltage but missed the code. Anyway they were reset and the only one remaining was DF184- passenger seat pretensioner circuit open. The fact the horn doesn't work seems to be coincidence. I did change the rotary switch myself for a used one from a non-accident scrap 53plate Clio 1.2 and was pleasantly surprised there was no code for that showing. So, gonna get under the passenger seat tomorrow and check the horn for functionality directly powered from the battery. See what happens from there.

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Update on this if anyone can help. All lights now sorted but still no horn. Checked steering wheel wiring and all okay. Even fitted a mk1 indicator stalk to rule out an issue within the steering wheel itself but no change. I'm not sure of the wiring in the wheel arch where the horn is located but running wires direct from the battery the horn works so defo wiring. Anyone got a photo of how the wiring is laid out (+ve and -ve feeds) and where I should be looking at for issues?

Thanks

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Anyone know much about the electrical layout on the Cup? Horn is still hit and miss but I recently had the n/s headlight bulb blow. The horn then worked fine. Replaced the bulb today and again horn is being a swine. Sounds to me like a dodgy connection so wanting to check wires in the arch for headlight and horn to sort it.

renault clio 1.4 16v
have you checked the wires to the horn button... see if it goes closed circuit when you press it using a multi meter... if thats not it then you will have to follow the wires till you find a problem...

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
I've fitted a mk1 indicator stalk instead. Tempted to run direct wires from stalk to horn and be done with it

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Just for reference- I've 100% sorted this now. Rotary Switch works fine, no airbag light on and horn was due to a bad connection with the wiring into the actual horns in the arch. Pulled the white wire tight and horn worked so I've adjusted it's position and job done.