ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Twang/Clunk

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Hi all,

I've searched and read all the threads I can find on this topic, but most of them end with no solution being offered and the original poster doesn't come back!

This is the issue I have:

Any ideas? It passed it's MOT about three weeks ago without any issues what-so-ever and had two new bottom ball joints about 5 weeks ago. Along with new track rod ends about 18 months ago.

Are we talking springs or steering rack? (I'm an atheist but I've started to pray it's not the rack) the car also seems to be tramlining more than usual but the steering still smooth as soon as you're above 5 mph and it still corners like an absolute demon.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
  SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Awesome. Well the car is now in at a local garage, since I'm at work and didn't want to drive it the 50 miles home with potentially snapped spring! I shall add more info soon as I have it. I'd change the spring myself if I still living with my parents and had access to a decent garage.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Sounds like the same noise the Volvo made when its spring snapped. So that's also my guess.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
So this turned out to be a heat shield rubbing against the steering column! Weird eh? Cost me £20 for a local garage to sort.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Thanks. Cheers for your help too. When I thought it was springs I looked up the cost of a new one, £100! I probably would've just bought Eibachs.