ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Twitchy

Clio 172 Cup
Hey guys, Ive got this problem with the steering on a 172 cup, its very twitchy a lot of the time, bumps on the road will pull the car in different directions even touching the white line in the middle of the road will do it. Sometimes it also feels like I'm driving on ice for a few seconds, like the wheels go one way and the steering wheel goes the other then it centers again. I'm constantly having to correct the steering. The tires themselves look fine. Anyone got any ideas ?

R26,172 & R5 GTT
im havin the exact same prob :(... the roads are in such bad cond after the weather its after damagein someit!! im havin another look later, but putin it up on a lift thurs so should have some bit of a solution for ya!

RB FF 182
I've got this exact problem. Had tracking checked by two garages and it's spot on. Had track rod ends, suspension, shocks and ball joints checked and they're all spot on too!! Recent tyres as well. Just check what I've had checked. Let me know if you find a solution!

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Same here, had everything checked etc. and all is ok.

Could be the top mounts :S as I also get a squeaking on bumpy surfaces and it creaks/clunks on full lock like turning on to / reversing off the drive

RB FF 182
Same here, had everything checked etc. and all is ok.

Could be the top mounts :S as I also get a squeaking on bumpy surfaces and it creaks/clunks on full lock like turning on to / reversing off the drive

It's doin my head in. I even paid to have balancing cheked today out of desperation. Not checked top mounts but when cars been stood overnight there is a faint thud from drivers side rear wheel. Kinda feels like handbrake is seized slighty.

I've been told there's a tiny amount of play in my drivers side track rod end, but I can't see such a little snout of play causing these issues??

172 Cup
I am having same issue and have pretty much checked everything. Having coilovers and solid top mounts fitted in next week or so will be interesting to see if that cures....

It will most likely be the tracking. Does it feel like there is no centre point(or its very precise). Is it easier to turn one way than it is to turn the other way?

Clio 172 Cup
Ye not that you mention it, it does feel easier turning right i think, my brother has a cup and driving his, his steering feels a lot heavier bit in a good way, like the tires are actually gripping the road.

R26
Ive fitted Coilovers, Solid Mounts, All tracking done, 4 new tyres and mine still is unsteady at higher speeds, im sure, unless its just me?!

Mondeo TDCI 130
No play in the steering rack at all?? My old one had a new rack under warranty, it was horrid to drive, hit a white line and it would pull you all over the shop!!

Nippy white cup
Nics 182 is doing this after enduring the bad roads. Another thing it does is on full lock at slow speed (I live on a big hill and it is terrible there) is it feels like the car is trying to go straight on then something 'gives' several times almost as if the wheels are slipping?!

Chris

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Nics 182 is doing this after enduring the bad roads. Another thing it does is on full lock at slow speed (I live on a big hill and it is terrible there) is it feels like the car is trying to go straight on then something 'gives' several times almost as if the wheels are slipping?!

Chris

Yes I have this too! Well worded, kind of like slow turning on ice, when there's none there?!

Clio 172
I am experiencing this as well, last week i had my sportlines fitted and the tracking done and since then the stearing has felt weird, like there is an understeer. It feels spongy if that makes sense.

My mate thinks it may be the tyres so i have just purchased 4 new tyres so i wont be going back to see the garage that done my tracking and springs until i know for sure it isnt the tyres.

The steering feels strange to me now and i am not sure i have a lot of confidence in it. hopefully the new tyres make the difference because its running on sunny tyres just now(previous owner).

Have to wait and see

BG 182 FF

Chris

I use to have this steering on ice problem.

Had a new steering rack fitted just over a month ago due to it leaking. Didn't solve the steering on ice problem, but the steering felt a lot tighter.

Got 2 new front tyres fitted a couple of weeks ago and the steering on ice problem disappeared instantly.

Can't believe how good the car drives now. The steering feel is amazing - tight and weighty, you can really feel the tyres bite the tarmac and no more slipping when parking or turning really tight corners :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Sounds like the issue i used to have with continentals when i ran them.

Even though they have loads of tread left they just don't grip properly.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Strange that because I got 2 new Michelins on the front when I got the car in November, no uneven wear and still a healthy amount of tread!

Mk5 golf gti
leaking rear shock normally causes this and anti roll bar perishing
thats what i have found any way :D

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
I would also recommend checking your rear shock absorbers as my 172 displayed similar problems and it turned out to be a rear shock and the wheels needed re-balancing...

Clio 172 Cup
I was just cleaning mine today and noticed that ride height on the rear left and right looked different. So i measured it up and the ride height on the rear right is lower by slightly over 2cm compared to the left. I have no clue about cars technically, but does that seem like it could be related to the issue I'm having with the steering ?