ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel + insurance

Clio 172
As with everybody else, I have suffered the thumb grips disintegrating and considering changing my steering wheel altogether. Does anyone know whether it will affect the insurance premium. Whilst I am at it, has anyone experienced any issues with passing MOT's since the car originally came with airbags and no aftermarket manufacturer provides airbags for the clios??

Thanks

Ant

Essentially two parts to the MOT steering wheel/airbag query:

1) Airbags only have to work if fitted. So you won't fail on that aspect.
2) Instant MOT fail if the airbag light is on. Obviously the airbag computer will turn the light on when you remove the airbag, but it can be turned off again by placing a 33 ohm (IIRC) resistor in the steering wheel airbag connector.

Depends on your insurance company. Brentacre for example don't charge for modifications as long as you declare them and don't go over something silly like 400 BHP. Mainstream insurers, certainly Admiral/Elephant/Bell/Diamond/etc, attempt to charge you for practically anything "non stanbard." So yes, a new steering wheel would be non standard, they probably would charge you.