ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steves' PH2 200T

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Blah blah blah brakes

With that being sorted….

200.gif

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Car felt mega from the passenger seat Steve. Wish I could have battled with you more. Recovery finally turned up at 6.30pm🤣

I've got unfinished business with Cadwell but at least I wasn't one of the 15 red flags yesterday🙄🤣

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
This looks mega. Definitely the potential for my Cupra replacement, 4 doors, auto and not boring.

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Nothing much happening with the car, offspring #2 is due in a matter of weeks so I've de-prioritised it for the meantime.
Admittedly I can't remember the last time I washed the car myself because I'm a silly boy so dusted off the inventory and gave it a soak this afternoon.

PXL_20230811_145453540.jpg

PXL_20230811_145735454.jpg

Little man doing his best, 2/10 for effort though as after 5 mins he preferred sucking dirty water out of a sponge.

PXL_20230811_151650535.jpg

PXL_20230811_160448585.jpg

PXL_20230811_160341719.jpg

PXL_20230811_160503659.jpg

PXL_20230811_160540607.jpg

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Fresh MOT this week on the Clio, I had it up at the Motorist which is local to me and utilised their cafe to work from in the morning, with a DBZ Soarer and a Fiesta for company.

1000027955.jpg

I also asked for them to investigate a noise from the front I'd noticed across winter when going up and down bumps, however it was clearly paranoia as they reported back saying they couldn't find anything and the car looked as though it'd just rolled out the factory, nice.

Lastly, I decided it was time to de-Maxton the car as I was tired of the bodykit and wasn't feeling the front splitter any longer. I still need to take the spoiler lip off and I'll also be removing the black front diamond too.

I'm already much happier with it as is, looks cleaner and I've found myself disliking the Maxton stuff when I see it out and about which was evidence I wasn't really a fan anymore. The front could still benefit from some kind of lip, possible a cheap eBay jobby like @Adey. and @Danith.

Oulton Park booked for end of February which I can't wait for, first time there and heard excellent things about the track 👍

1000027960.jpg

1000027961.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sits so well this. Super tempted to try some cooksports but don't want any rubbing or faff

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
looking good. my cheapo rubber splitter is still on and hasn't budged (touches wood)

@Danith I had no rubbing issues with the cooksports on stock cup shocks (well until I fitted spacers..... Plus i run 225 wide tyres)

yeah i've gone for 225 40 Contis and have 16mm front/10mm rear axle spacers. Just the front end does my head in a little, sits 5 to 10mm too high

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
yeah i've gone for 225 40 Contis and have 16mm front/10mm rear axle spacers. Just the front end does my head in a little, sits 5 to 10mm too high
I've mentioned it already but on this same setup (+Cooksports) I experience practically no rubbing on PS4s.
I have a set of same profile NS-2Rs in the garage which rub considerably more, but my rear beam is likely slightly off centre as the N/S rear shoulder catches on the bodywork as the tyres have a bit more of a chunkier profile than the Michelins.

I wouldn't be concerned with rubbing at all if I'm honest, it's never been a concern.

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Updates.

Yesterday consisted of a visit to Oulton Park, which ended up definitely being a day of two halves.
Unfortunately the weather wasn't on side, practically torrential for the drive over from Yorkshire (with delays due to standard M62 antics) and pretty dreary most of the morning.

The most important things to consider on the day were:
  • First time at Oulton Park
  • First time driving on track in the wet
  • Tyre choice was a set of NS-2Rs as I was optimistic that the weather was going to be better than I'd hoped
Thankfully I booked a pair of garages which kept us dry, I had two for me and a friend with his MG, whilst @Danith in the 220 and @JB21 were living next door.

PXL_20240221_085715973.jpg

I was already feeling apprehensive about going out in the wet, not to mention on a new track with non-optimal tyres. First 2-3 sessions were steady away just getting to grips with the circuit, gear selection, braking points and working out how to get by in the conditions. I had a couple of laps with Dan behind me in the 220, I ended up letting him by (also read: blue flagged) and he had disappeared from view within a lap, job jobbed.

53545625610_8bf8fe4bc3_o.jpg

At this point I was still using sport mode in manual. However, I followed advise to get into race mode, which will allow complete control and to stop the car from intervening so much when handling around the circuit. First time out and it felt far better, felt more in control and I was questioning why I wasn't using it to begin with.

I was feeling more confident at this point, coming round the back of the circuit over Clay Hill I passed a slow RX-8 which resulted in my entry into Water Tower towards Druids much tighter. I went on the brakes but the back end just completely went, the back end came around to the left and the car slid off circuit, onto the grass on the inside of the turn coming to a complete stop, gutted. Luckily it was a minor off, and no barriers were involved.

For some reason that off completely shook me up, I was already feeling nervy due to the conditions and I spent the lunch break on my own practically questioning whether this was all worth it. I knew I needed to pick myself up and keep going, but I couldn't believe how much it had knocked my confidence.

I had a good chat with Phil (appreciate the advice mate!) and luckily I had brought two of my PS4s (road wheel) with me purely as security, he advised I stick them on the rear and I should see an improvement in rear grip and a little more stability.

PXL_20240221_151043613.jpg

It probably took me until 2-3pm to get myself back out, steady away. My testicles were the size of raisins by this point so I was keeping it calm and collected. By this point the sun had come out and a dry line had started to appear.

I was suddenly feeling so so much more confident in the car in the dry, I could feel the heat in the tyres and was really starting to lob it into the tighter turns without fear of another incident, I could feel the day coming back to me and was starting to enjoy myself. Even so, Druids had my number and I was still keeping it slow and steady through there.

53545131141_3d3fb0e2f2_o.jpg

By 4pm half of the attendees had gone, but I had another hour to go and I wasn't going to waste it, ended up spending most of that time out there on track and was just going quicker and quicker, ending the day on a massive high.

All in all, it was a big lesson learnt. My inexperience has me underprepared for the conditions, and it was the tyres and my own self-confidence that had let me down. Realistically, I wasn't committed enough out there, and as a result there was no chance of getting any heat into the tyres (not that I would have, being non-reputable for wet conditions), and I ended up paying for it. Got some thinking to do for next time, I'm just glad I didn't end the day completely defeated.

Thanks to @Danith for the ride in his 220, gave me a great insight as to what experience can do out there, not to mention the Conti 7s were very impressive.

Home time.

PXL_20240221_165651248.jpg

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Rollercoaster of emotion in that post but certainly a metaphor for life. If your back end steps out and you start sliding, get back on the horse and keep riding. WOOOHOOOO

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ha brilliant write up. Mate for a first time at a proper track like Oulton, when it was that busy and wet, anyone's gonna be apprehensive!

You weren't a snail around there by any stretch and glad you stuck around to the end. Hope the testes have recovered. Race mode is a must on track, the ASC is far too intrusive, same on my mx5.

I'd call that a mega success, Oulton ticked off, wet and dry, different tyres tried out, a spin that didn't result in damage and getting back on the horse and finding your rhythm. That's like a right foot, left foot and header hat trick :)

Let me know when the next one is in the pipeline.

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
So after mulling over Oulton a couple of weeks back, and bags of overthinking, I decided that it was complete overkill having another set of wheels sitting in the garage for 99.5% of the time, only to come out on the occasional track day and clearly only suitable for dry weather so these got sold on last weekend.

The PS4s on the car were on their last legs, almost down to the wear markers and with cracking along the shoulders. I've got a full day booked at CSF, so far ahead of that I've opted for the 'arrive and drive' approach without any weather-related stress. I want to look ahead to the day with a bit more confidence and a fresh set of rubber would probably do just that (without the need for any hugs).

It was either the simple upgrade to the PS5, Goodyear SS or Conti Premium 7s. The Conti's won on price, moreso the ride out with @Danith on them left me impressed considering the conditions.

Decided to stick with the 225 profile over factory 205, for the price and looks I see no reason to stick with the factory fitment. In typical fashion, the car is DISGUSTENG.

PXL_20240307_105302415.jpg

PXL_20240307_105332336.jpg

PXL_20240307_105809177.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
They're a bit squishy in the dry but a belting tyre for the £. If dry it might be worth upping the pressures

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Any reason you went premium over sport with the conti’s? Looking at replacements for my sport contact 5’s when they are done with.

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Any reason you went premium over sport with the conti’s? Looking at replacements for my sport contact 5’s when they are done with.
Purely a recommendation tbh, I think it was actually Dan who said there'd been some whinging about the sport contacts.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Purely a recommendation tbh, I think it was actually Dan who said there'd been some whinging about the sport contacts.

Looks like premiums aren’t an option for me. @Danith what are the issues with the sportcontacts? It’s for the Leon so should I just stick to PS5’s?