ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Storm Grey 172

RB 182
Thought I'd start a little project thread, and update it as I go along

So, I bought this 172 off a forum member who'd only had it for 4 weeks or so. Basically it's got a few issues, but nothing major! The main part is the paint is immaculate!

imagejpg4_zpsce66557a.jpg

imagejpg5_zps3b35ccda.jpg

Its had a full spray in Storm Grey, and the workmanship is excellent. All door shuts etc are done, it's just under the bonnet and the boot floor which are still Monaco Blue. It's also sporting some Cooksport springs, which is a bonus

So, as with any car I buy, the first thing I do is a full service. Now looking back at the previous owners posts, it's had a genuine cambelt kit a year ago, and with the Cup alternator setup it's got no fancy tensioners to worry about. I purchased a genuine aux belt and fitted that after a few days ownership, as I could hear pulley noises. Inspecting the old belt, it didn't look that old but better be safe than sorry. Obv, without changing any pulleys, I can still head slight pulley squeek on idle, I'll look into that

This last weekend I gave her a full service, inc genuine oil and filter, air filter, and pollen. I love changing the pollen filter on new purchases, as 9 times out of 10 it's missed on services, so is normally filthy! Guess what...

20140503_112642_zpsdvja5vyv.jpg

Again, looking back at its history on here, it's had the proper plugs a year ago with the cambelt, so no need to change those. I did however change the gearbox oil - the old oil was black, I'd recommend doing it as it really easy to do!

Ive also changed the rear number plate light unit for a new genuine one, and replaced the gear gator, again for a new genuine one

So, I keep noticing new things

• Really lumpy idle, more so than normal - to look into
  • Airbag and SERV warning lights inop!?
  • Clock bulb inop
  • ARB bushes and ball joints are shot
  • Pulley squeaks to investigate
  • Both rear calipers seized
  • No outside temperature display shown?
  • Really poor exhaust fitted, and knocks over bumps
  • Airbox cold air feed pipes missing, so really throaty noise
  • Door cards filthy, and generally, minging! - Done
  • Steering wheel rubber knackered - Done
  • Number plate lamp inop - Done
  • Cig lighter inop
  • Wrong spare wheel, it's a MOMO?!

Ill update as I go along, and I'll try take more photos on the next jobs!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Don't know why but that colour doesn't suit that shape Clio IMO. Shame.

maybe it's just the wheels throwing it off.

ventura

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to see its gonna be looked after and brought up to shape. Shame I didn't have the time and space to sort it!

Never liked this colour. Is it a colour you really need to see in person as i've only ever seen it in pictures and have never got on with it?

Many.
Wouldn't call the issues Minor. Idle is due to the Dephaser pulley.

Get a clip for the drivers door Pin too, its missing and the pin is starting to fall out. I noticed this when I had it but forgot to mention it to Rob.

RB 182
Wouldn't call the issues Minor. Idle is due to the Dephaser pulley.

Get a clip for the drivers door Pin too, its missing and the pin is starting to fall out. I noticed this when I had it but forgot to mention it to Rob.

The issues are definitely minor, the car is totally straight on the aligner, so the crash bar etc can stay that way for me - no plans to sell for a long time anyhu. I'll fettle with it over time, nothing's dangerous

Didnt realise the dephaser caused the rough idle, tbh when Rob mentioned the dephaser I thought it was gonna be knocking but haven't heard it

Im looking forward to finding out where the airbag warning bulbs gone - the seat looms have already been sorted so wondering if it's cos of that, wait and see I suppose

Cheers for heads up on door pin, I'll check it

Many.
The issues are definitely minor, the car is totally straight on the aligner, so the crash bar etc can stay that way for me - no plans to sell for a long time anyhu. I'll fettle with it over time, nothing's dangerous

Didnt realise the dephaser caused the rough idle, tbh when Rob mentioned the dephaser I thought it was gonna be knocking but haven't heard it

Im looking forward to finding out where the airbag warning bulbs gone - the seat looms have already been sorted so wondering if it's cos of that, wait and see I suppose

Cheers for heads up on door pin, I'll check it

Get that subframe changed however, I'd bet money that its not straight, and as its started to peel apart.

Dephaser only rattles once its warm, cold it sounds fine as they all do. Common for them to cause rough idle when noisy like that is, noise has to come from somewhere.

I hadn't noticed the airbag etc, but then I guess I didn't care about that bit by the time I found the rest lol. Seat belt tensioners have been changed, so could be due to the fact an airbag/seatbelt tensioner or two has been triggered. They are soldered LED's if you didn't know so could be ideal to find new dials. ABS could be due to having Cup dials, makes me wonder about the mileage too!

RB 182
Get that subframe changed however, I'd bet money that its not straight, and as its started to peel apart.

Dephaser only rattles once its warm, cold it sounds fine as they all do. Common for them to cause rough idle when noisy like that is, noise has to come from somewhere.

I hadn't noticed the airbag etc, but then I guess I didn't care about that bit by the time I found the rest lol. Seat belt tensioners have been changed, so could be due to the fact an airbag/seatbelt tensioner or two has been triggered. They are soldered LED's if you didn't know so could be ideal to find new dials. ABS could be due to having Cup dials, makes me wonder about the mileage too!

Im learning something new every post! I didn't know it had Cup dials? I think the ABS light is working, I'm gonna go and check now! Going off its MOT history, the mileage adds up

Unfortunately, it's '12 months MOT' doesn't add up going off what I've found so far!

Many.
I don't know for sure if it has Cup dials! I just wonder if it has, as they dont have ABS lights.

Thats what I thought too, Tyres were my major thing, they shouldn't have passed.

RB 182
ABS light is working, just checked

Hmmm the tyres would've been a strong advise, the drivers has deep cracks but can't see cords, and the tread is above 1.6mm, but defo an advise along with the ARB bushes etc

Ypu might be able to help with this - why, when it's a very late 172 on an 04, does it not have cruise and traction?

RB 182
So yesterday I decided that I'd have a look why the EML, airbag light and 'SERVICE' lights didn't work. Also, my clock bulbs didn't work and wanted to fit my hands free. The clock bulbs had blown in my old Sunflower too - weird

I stripped the top dash off

20140511_173033_zpsxy3bhwr7.jpg

20140511_173044_zpsbgcoay6b.jpg

This is what I found on the speedo

20140511_174204_zpst4ilq8p3.jpg

20140511_174315_zpsslfam7vt.jpg

Obv the previous owner decided they didn't want those LEDs anymore! I decided to run a scan on it, and the EML isn't even on, I can only presume it had a decat maybe that put the EML on at some point? I've also noticed today that when you don't wear a seatbelt, the seatbelt light doesn't flash, and when you turn off the pass airbag, the 'airbag off' light doesn't work. Not really pleased tbh as had my nephew in there the other week, and I guess the airbag wasn't turned off after all?! I'm going to borrow my mates scanner to read the airbag codes

In the meantime, I've ordered some new orange SMDs to solder back into the speedo to get the lights working!

Whilst fitting my microphone, I removed the interior light unit, and found this wire - does anybody know where it's from?

20140511_183652_zpsqfylmmef.jpg

As my cig light didn't work, used the hole for this

20140511_190744_zpsr9y3zdx9.jpg

And the Parrot is wired

20140511_190909_zpsjfe9hgxy.jpg

Ive some callipers coming this week, and I've also my new Fabia splitter to fit :)

Subscribed to this. Love the car. Not fond of the wheels on it like, but that colour is awesome. Also hopefully I'll learn a thing or two with all your tinkerings since I have no idea about anything mechanical or electrical. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Previous owner(before Ventura) should be ashamed!

Proper bodge job, hope you get it all sorted as it does look good.

RB 182
Subscribed to this. Love the car. Not fond of the wheels on it like, but that colour is awesome. Also hopefully I'll learn a thing or two with all your tinkerings since I have no idea about anything mechanical or electrical. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Yea, I wasn't sure on the wheels but tbh I'm not sure wat would suit this colour

Many.
Previous owner(before Ventura) should be ashamed!

Proper bodge job, hope you get it all sorted as it does look good.

Agree with this, Ventura got a proper bad deal.
Faxo, Check the seat wiring is all plugged in properly. I suspect the ABS module has an issue or two, you'll be able to confirm once the light is fixed. I wouldn't trust anything on it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it's had a whack (which would explain the bent crash bar and bent subframe) the airbags and/or the pre tensioners have maybe fired and the airbag lights have then come on. Rather than getting the ECU reset and fitting new airbags and pre tensioners someone has decided that pulling a bulb out is easier.

There are some proper pikey fcukers out there.

Many.
If it's had a whack (which would explain the bent crash bar and bent subframe) the airbags and/or the pre tensioners have obviously fired and the airbag lights are obviously on. Rather than getting the ECU reset and fitting new airbags, someone has decided that pulling a bulb out is easier.

There are some proper pikey fcukers out there.

This is my thoughts. One of the pre-tensioners has been changed.

RB 182
AlexW - that's twice you've mentioned ABS problems and made me think twice whether it's working!

I changed the steering wheel the other day, and upon removal of the old airbag, I was half expecting to find it not connected! Same with the passenger airbag, but they are both connected properly

I noticed the swat belts say PH1 on them, written in tippex lol

Owel, easy is boring ey!

Many.
Sorry, I must have ABS on the brain or something.

I hadn't noticed that on the belts, but then I hadn't looked into the car that deep by the time we gave up with it.

RB 182
It's on the drivers buckle, not belt

A question - why doesn't the outside temp gauge work? I'd of thought if it was a sensor issue, it'd read high/low or just dash, but there's nothing on the display?

RB 182
Today I ran a scan on the airbag system, just to see what was going on

It came up with this, or should I say these!

20140513_170810_zps755pscr3.jpg

20140513_170819_zpsc4ge2rkz.jpg

20140513_170758_zps9c823ewc.jpg

All of them seemed to be open circuit faults, so I cleared them and this is what came back

20140513_170933_zpsiuoxnigm.jpg

Am I right in thinking 'front seat position sensor' is also to do with the pretensioner, in which case I'm going to check the wiring under the drivers seat to see what surprises are under there! Obv the warning light error is due to the missing LED

Many.
Yep that is the case.

Not sure on the temp sensor, although it could be due to it being open circuit entirely. Pop the mirror off.

RB 182
Today I've been to 'Cars In The Park', and I'd had my Fabia splitter for a week or so, so thought may aswel fit it

Before

20140517_135203_zpsslsdufrx.jpg

20140517_135215_zpsjsefeysa.jpg

For some reason, I remember someone saying they needed trimming down. Instead of measuring up, I just cut a chunk off! Amazingly, this made it exactly the correct size!

20140517_142322_zpsosojk5lq.jpg

20140517_142335_zpsq4wqemuf.jpg

Looks loads better imo

Ive also got some new clocks for it - the price I paid was £s, and made trying to strip the old ones down to resolder LEDs pointless. The mileage is 2k less on these, so I'll just relay that if I ever sell it. More importantly, I know have working EML, airbag and SERV lights

Now that the bulbs work, I thought I'd see what was going on under the seat

All the wires were taped up, with the plugs cut out, as most people do, so was expecting just a disconnected wire. I was right, to a certain extent...

20140517_153318_zpsh62cwsid.jpg

The pretensioner/seat posistion sensor isn't connected to anything!

Problem is, I've around 9 wires coming off the car loom, and only 4 on the pretensioner/seat sensor. I've searched the net for a pic of what wires goto which colours, but have been unsuccessful. There's a 'how to' on adding a resistor, but I just want to reconnect them as if the plugs have just been cut out - can anyone help with this, either a link to a good pic, or looking at their own car?

Wires on the car

20140517_153313_zpszjc97qmq.jpg

Thats it for now

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Gorgeous paint - I love it!

Unfortunately the situation is that these cars are up to 14 years old now, and during those years they've likely seen quite a few owners who do some pretty crazy and unsafe modifications. Hope that's the end of your issues :)

RB 182
Not a very interesting update

Finally got round to changing the rear callipers today - I'd bought some 3 weeks ago, and the seller was slow at sending them, and after the promised delivery date passed, I just ordered some more as I was really desperate. Turns out a temp at work had signed for the originals, and not told me. Turns out the second pair, that were promised for Sat, still haven't turned up yet so I've fitted the 1st set, and I'll sell the second set on!

First I made sure they were unseized, and gave them a lick of paint - I'm not keen on the bright red, I prefer an understated black

20140525_115724_zpsx9jygrvw.jpg

20140525_121833_zpsa3ejl1h4.jpg

Then set about fitting them, which I thought was going to be harder with the old brake pipes now 10yrs old

20140526_112906_zpsihovpbd4.jpg

20140526_112911_zpsgcdn2cdu.jpg

Built up. The pass side was abit touch and go, the brake pipe wanted to twist, but a lot of WD sorted that

20140526_124755_zps9woexevm.jpg

And, there seems to be a casualty in every job I do

20140526_124802_zps3fihltnf.jpg

The drivers side cable appears to be new, so slid out nice and easily, however the passenger had seen better days, and was absolutely seized solid into the hole, so just cut it and I'll fit a new one

Now, after this the car is a different machine! The brakes were literally seized on, so it was just like driving with the handbrake on! Now, it's defiantly faster, and so much easier to drive, and that was only after a whiz round the block!

In the package I got was also the two missing CAF pipes, which I'm hoping stop the loud induction noise! The bottom one went on fine, however the side one is blocked by the non standard battery, so I'm umming and ahhing about a new battery now :(

20140526_130651_zpsq32gvs8r.jpg

Fianlly, since I fitted my Parrot Kit, it's been messing around with my iPod, not connecting and no sound etc. Carried out a software update via the Parrot website, and it's fixed :)

Payday this week, so new tyres and few other little bits. Going 195/45 with the tyres, as I'm tight!

RB 182
Not updated this for a while, so thought I'd put down what it's been upto

Ive still not fixed the snapped handbrake cable, tbh I forget it's broken as it holds on one, and I've not had a Saturday morning free at work to do it. I have, however, replaced the front tyres with some Hankooks, I know feel safe driving it!

Or at least I did! For the past few weeks, it's been slowly dying. Faults I can remember are Missfire under load, knocking when setting off, and when slowing, the passenger mirror glass has gone floppy, the clutch release bearing is noisey and something abit more worrying...

Last week, on a hot day, I parked her up. Upon trying to restart, it wouldn't, just turning off. I popped the bonnet to find this

63a79df69fc33c64fe13ab916830d00d_zps4f2eec85.jpg

The fuel pipe had unclipped, and it was pissing fuel everywhere. I was baffled, then thought about the fuel return pipe being blocked off? Or is it a breather? Anyhu, I presume when hot the tank swells building the pressure, and blew the pipe off. It happened again this morning, so it's something I need to look into. I don't think I can refit the charcoal cannister or whatever it is that's been removed, but I'm sure I've read somewhere about a one way breather?

Im unsure what to do about all the faults. I'm saving for my wedding in Sept, but was going to remove the engine and replace the dephaser, clutch and bearing in one go next month whilst my missus was on her hen do, Or, I might just wait for them to go (the dephaser is causing a Missfire, the belt is a yr old), and I might incorporate the bushes & ball joint replacement with a replacement subframe

Hmmmm

Many.
More likely to be the clip on that fuel pump. Couple of mates have had issues with it popping off, on completely standard cars. Solved with a cable tie.

Doing the whole lot (cambelt, subframe etc) is a good idea, most time effective too.