ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Footwell Water Leak

BMW 320d SE
I know it's been done to death on here, but I'm posting as I'm out of ideas and need the help of the collective CS mind.
I have water in my passenger footwell. I've pulled up the carpets and it's coming from the bulkhead in the corner near the door.
It doesn't have a sunroof. It's been to Rentech. The scuttle drains are all clear. A possible leak was indentified in the windscreen seal in the bottom left hand corner. I've since had the windscreen removed and resealed. I washed the car yesterday and yet it is still leaking. Unless a poor job was done on the reseal (which I have no reason to believe is the case), I'm out of ideas as to how the water is getting in.
Anyone got any bright ideas? Body seams somewhere maybe?

Renault Clio182 bean
Is the leak coming from too high up for it to be getting in where the door wiring plug connector comes into the car? Can you physically see it dripping in from high up or just that the floor is wet?

BMW 320d SE
I think it's coming from higher up behind the dashboard. There's a water stain where it's been running down the bulkhead. I don't think it's the door wiring plug (but haven't ruled it out) and it's too high for it to be the sill drains.

Renault Clio182 bean
Is your pollen filter dry? doesnt that sit up in that corner, seen a few before where the water wasnt running where it should and was running past the scuttle panel and into the pollen filter/heater box area.

Have you taken off your inner wheel arches on the front? I had a similar problem and I thought it was coming from the bulkhead. I pulled off the inner arches and the amount of mud was incredible. I think it was almost creating a dam and the water was then going under the door seal. Worth a look if you haven't that way another thing is ruled out. Worth lifting the carpet and taking out the sponges. Mine had to sit on a radiator for four days to dry out but within that time I soaked up all the water then filled loads of old socks with silicia cat litter and changed them everyday. Hope you solve the problem as it is annoying having steamed up windows.

BMW 320d SE
Passenger side carpet is all pulled up. Foam underlay is out and dry in the house. I have a sponge in the footwell for when it rains. I'll check the wheel arch liner but I feel it's somewhere up the top of the bulkhead. Have heard something about where the rear washer jet tube passes through causing problems. I've certainly got a few things to look at on my days off!

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
I was just about to suggest checking under the washer bottle. Mine leaked there... was pain to track down but happily all dry now.
Fingers crossed your wipers come off OK.

BMW 320d SE
Yes last time they were stuck fast, but they've been off twice now recently and have been greased up so should come off no problem.

BMW 320d SE
Right. Update time. I finally got some nice weather and time away from the kids to have a look at this. Took wipers off, scuttle panels, washer bottle out (but still connected up). Watering can confirmed leak was coming from somewhere in that area. Eventually I found the tube that goes from the bottle to the rear wash/wipe. It goes through the bulkhead near to the large multiplug connector for the main wiring loom. It has a rubber sleeve on it with a built-in grommet. This had been pushed through the bulkhead leaving a hole with the tube going through it. This was letting water through to the inside of the car. I pulled it back up, cleaned it all up and tested it thoroughly with the watering can and - NO LEAKS!
I am confident that this was the source of the leak and I've finally solved the problem. I hope this helps others on here too.

FF Racing Blue 182
I've had a few cars in my time and two 182s and both had a leak at some point. What is it with the clio and leaking.

Clio 1.5 dci
Hi was the leak you were having was it coming over the passenger door seal?? At yhe bottom corner closest to the dashboard?