ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange handling after new wishbones 182

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,

I changed the wishbones and outer ARB bushings on the 182 yesterday. Since then the car has been handling very strangley at low speed, at fullish lock in car parks im getting a strange shopping trolley kind of sensation where the car doesnt really feel like its going where its pointing.

At medium and high speed there is some minor jerks coming through the wheel and the wheel is of centre slightly.

At low/medium speeds when going over bumps I can feel the car bump steering(?) quite sharply particularly over nasty bumps, im having to grip the wheel pretty firmly!

I realise some of this will be due to tracking, im getting the car aligned on a hunter machine later on today. Thought i'd post this up to see if any of this could be an indicator of something i've cocked up with the installation that will need sorting at the same time as the tracking?

Thanks

When you say you changed the wishbones, did you also change the wishbone bushes? If so, did you grease them if they were polybushes?

I think you might have to see what the machine says - wander round to the workshop instead of sitting in the waiting room (which I assume most of us into cars would do, but some people seem to have no interest in seeing what's going on!) and ask if you can have a look round underneath (also useful for spotting rust or any other issues).

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I had this when using First Line balljoints, the taper part that goes into the hub was too long and was catching on the driveshaft, this added extra pressure on the bolts which ovalled the holes, knackered the threads, and they were literally finger tight. Youd be driving along and the straight ahead position would snap between being at 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock, the steering felt like it really werent connected. New balljoints with the correct length taper on new wishbones fixed it. Pretty extreme example but my experience. Did you use genuine parts?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,

Tracking done, the toe front left was +2.5deg and front right was -.5deg. Now it has been adjusted the car feels 100% better and as far as I can tell this has sorted it. But will have to go for a spirited drive to really test it.

I had a good poke around underneath with the bloke and he said the wishbones looked fine and it is in great condition.

Only issue was with the camber front and rear but this is because the car is lowered on eibach springs.

I didn't use genuine parts, I used these . The came with bushes installed. Was a pig of a job but I don't think there is anything wrong with the parts, side by side I couldn't see any differences to the standard part.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
@MorroN

Should of gone for genuine, those dont have the increased castor. Small benefit but worth while..

What would be the effects of more positive castor? More camber gain in corners? How much do the genuine ones actually increase it?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure (we're going back to about 2012 here) that I only paid about £40 each for genuine Renault items!

Currently £125 shipped from Renault Wolverhampton. The jewness got the better of me on this one.

@MorroN Couldnt answer how much they increase it by, renault thought it was the right thing to do though. Ive just put on ast coilovers and top mounts with increased castor and the turn in is real sharp! Thats a lot more castor however

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

Ive noticed a quite loud creaking noise when stopping/setting off. Is this likely to be the outwr ARB bushes? I greased the inside of them but not the outside

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
No need to grease the outside if you buy them from Renault they have it on the inside only.

They are genuine renault bushes, they were pretty dry so I did put a big spooge of grease inside before I slipped them on.

Any idea what else could be groaning? Im going to open it up tomorrow. Will clean up the bracket, grease the outside of the bush and take it for a drive.

If its still creaking could it be the wishbone bushes?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Never known any one to do this.

I cleaned up the clamp for the arb bush with a wire brush, put a tiny ammount of grease where it contacts the rubber and where it contacts the wishbone and the creaking has stopped.

Could have just been corrosion rubbing on the metal/metal part of the clamp but its all good now.

Thanks for the help everyone