ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange issue with fog light on dash board coming on with braking

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
As the subject suggests.

Sometimes when I'm braking, the light on my dash for the rear fog-light comes on. It kind of gradually gets brighter, never quite fully on, (like when the fog-light is actually turned on).

It goes off straight away if I take the foot off the brake. It doesn't always happen so I've got no way of knowing if the fog-light is actually coming on.

What do you think?

Loose/defective bulb?

Dodgy wiring? :eek:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
pins on the rear plugs which go into your lights need adjusting, easy fix, takes 5 mins

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Pull off the plug, clean up all contacts then repeat on the lighting track

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Does it flash with your left indicator aswell? I found if u turn the fog light switch on with the lights off it goes away after 5 mins or so

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
No flashing with the indicator.

It's very intermittent. I can't pin it down to any one thing. Just seems to fade in sometimes when braking.

Clio172
This happened to me also but went away after a few weeks :D At least i know what to look for if it happens again!

This happened to me as well on my driver side backlight. Failed my MOT because of it.

If i had my fog lights on, and pressed the brake the right indicator would come on
If i brake and indicate at the same time the indicator stops and the fog comes on faintly

I looked at my light cluster and the connection was a bit rusty from some sort of water damage, so Im hoping if I clean it up will stop messing around.

Clio 1.5dci
i've got the same problem, when i am reversing/braking at the same time both the foglight light and the indicator go a bit mad.

Else during normal breaking just the foglight light illuminates.

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
I'll have to get the missus out the back and check what my lights are doing. I've not actually checked them while doing other stuff. I know the brake lights come on and that's all I was bothered about when I tested the car when I first bought it.

Another job to add to the list at the weekend

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
If you fancy taking photos whilst you work :) I might feel more inclined to have a go at mine!

good luck !

Yeah could do that. It always helps to have some piccies before you attempt a job.

I find piccies of Megan Fox help me most of all :eek: ;)

clio (billabong) 1.2
i had this problem as soon as i bought mine it's an earthing promblem on the rear light cluster just disconnect the lead from the cluster to the chassis and clean it up with wd40 and use a new bolt should sort you out ;)