ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stuck with top mount nuts!

200 cup & 106 GTi
Bloody things! I thought they were only meant to be nipped up not done up stupidly tight?

Everything on my suspension has been a b*****d to undo :mad:

There appear to be washers under the 21mm nuts, which i presume aren't there as standard? So i'd guess someone's fitted them to fix the strut top knock and did them up far too tight. Bent an allen key so far. Might have to take it to a local garage and see if they can buzz it undone!

Any other suggestions? Are they meant to be done up tight?

Any particular torque setting?

iv seen them done up with air guns before, i thught they were only ment to be nipped up. Air gun will undo them easy, spray with WD40 first

Black Gold Trophy
think the trophy had the washers as standard just like the v6, mine were ridiculously tight to do undo aswell, I twisted an allen key well over a whole turn!
I thought I'd have to take it to a garage and get it loosened with an airgun, but I used some swarfega duck oil on it, soaked the thread in it, left it for 10 minutes, tried to tighten it slightly (rather than undo) soaked it some more, left it for 5 minutes and they came off!

200 cup & 106 GTi
I've needed an impact gun so many times and keep putting it off! Time to get one methinks. I have one of those impact things that you hit with a hammer but it doesn't really work very well!

Tried spraying a few different products on, even tried the rust flash stuff that freezes the metal to try and break the join.

Broken 3 extensions now for the hex bit on a ratchet which is why i've moved onto the allen key which seems to be bending.

Will hopefully get them off today.

Cheers guys :)

Black Gold Trophy
is the car on the ground when you're trying to do it? Because if you jack it up it is ten times harder!

Lots of Alfas
As above make sure its on the ground, use penetrating oil especially as the top threads normally go rusty.

PH1 172 Sport
The allen key should just be there to stop the suspension twisting as you undo the nut. It sounds like your using the allen key to do the work??

200 cup & 106 GTi
The car is on the ground, and i've wedged the allen key against the bulkhead while trying to undo the nut, the shock is trying to spin to the point where it's bent two allen keys now and i fear it's going to round off. Already wire brushed the thread it wasn't really that rusty, and sprayed a few different products on. No joy.

Going down to villiage garage shortly, hope they can buzz it undone.