ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sub frame wont drop removing 172 cup gearbox

160bhp saxo- clio182
Hi guys, getting abit frustrated I have removed the 13mm bolts around the box, 3 13mm starter bolts and the 13mm bolt above starter motor cant get the box to seperate and icant get the sub frame to drop......
i have read to just undo the 2 bolts 16mm 18mm on the side and it will drop....the front has dropped slighty but the back is holding up well.
have lossened the right hand side aswell now along with the 4 13mm bolts on the square plate on the back of the sub frame.
is there something im missing?
all help appreciated.
IIhavent had a great look but the gear linkage is a strange one for me also withthe whole pin thing.... is this a circlip jobby?

160bhp saxo- clio182
Steering rack pinch bolt?
Steering rack bolt? Didnt see it. Where abouts is that? The way everyone was going on about replacing these boxes I thought it was going to be straight forward... atleast I can try get all the niggly bits out the way this time round

clio 1.4 & clio 1.2
hi mate easyiest way to strip the box out it to take the full front end off passenger headlight front bupmper radiator aircon radiator front valence battery battery tray full gearbox mount of the body etc and lift the box out the top the subframes are murder tbh thats why a done mine from the top hope this helps

160bhp saxo- clio182
No i have only done 2.... i shall investigate the other 2. Under the starter motor there is a tthread with a 13mm nut and a torx key fitting, do i have to just undo the nut?

160bhp saxo- clio182
Yes colin im definatly doing it from the top from now on this whole sub frame marlarky is a nightmare

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
I don't think it's possible to get the box out the top on a 2.0 is it?? Never had a go like but doubt be much room to get input shaft out of the clutch

160bhp saxo- clio182
Gearbox is now off but I can't drop this poxy sub frame!!!!!!
right doing my nut in got the front edge to drop but the back part above the anti roll bar will not budge from chassis... I have took the bolt completely out now and had a bar on the edge of it... Nothing

160bhp saxo- clio182
main problems were/are some monkey who has done a clutch/box on this car before didnt do a good job whatso ever.
but besides that the front drivers sub frame bolt the nut to this is on a bracket/clip and has broke in the chassis so the bolt just span when trying to undo that sub frame bolt and i only had a short and a long 15mm socket if i had a normal size one i reckon i can take it off.
the top gearbox bolt next to the starter motor is the hardest thing to take out, i had to use 3 extensionsa knuckle joint and my brother to get it off lol
next time i will just drop sub frame completly if i dont take it out the top because i had to get my brother and 2 bars to lower the sub frame enough to get that poxy box out.
thanks for the help anyway guys, no doubt i will come accross something else when i put it back in.

clio 1.4 & clio 1.2
Yes colin im definatly doing it from the top from now on this whole sub frame marlarky is a nightmare

glad to see u got it mate a had alsort of hasstle with my subframe bolts ie why i done mine through the top ave got another dreaded clutch to do my new clio lol gonna get that done today atleast a dont need to take the box out this time though enjoy mate glad all is in order now for ya :)