ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suggestions please

Clio RS 220
I'm thinking of buying a 2017 RS Clio 200 but not sure whether to wait for next year's one or not. I'm currently driving an 1.8 Honda Civic which I much prefer than my previous car which was Mazda 6 mps. Lightweight, agile, nimble chuckable cars with good steering feedback is my preference rather than just raw power and speed. I had initially M135i second hand in my mind but yet to test drive both the Beemer and the RS200. I'd really appreciate owners feedback please, I could've gone for the new Type R but prefer the flappy pedals!!

Sent from Tapatalk

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
rather eclectic mix of cars you've had and on your mind so not really comparable.

best bet is to do as you mention and just test drive them and see which you prefer.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I drove my mates 2016 trophy again yesterday.

He has the screen fitted where you can adjust just about every aspect of the car yourself.

He has it set up in some absolute nutter mode and it's scary fast. It completely shocked me how quick it was. And the noise from the exhaust is absolutely mental.

@rs 1an

The M135i will feel like a barge compared to the 200, whereas the 200 will feel like a cheap eurobox compared to the BMW.

I'd go with a Meg 265 with recaros personally, highly chuckable with a much nicer interior than the Clio.

Clio RS 220
I drove my mates 2016 trophy again yesterday.

He has the screen fitted where you can adjust just about every aspect of the car yourself.

He has it set up in some absolute nutter mode and it's scary fast. It completely shocked me how quick it was. And the noise from the exhaust is absolutely mental.

@rs 1an
I'm tempted to get the 220 trophy! Doing the test drive tomorrow, so hope it's not too harsh for British roads.

Sent from Tapatalk

Clio RS 220
The M135i will feel like a barge compared to the 200, whereas the 200 will feel like a cheap eurobox compared to the BMW.

I'd go with a Meg 265 with recaros personally, highly chuckable with a much nicer interior than the Clio.
JB21 of MPSOC? Lol, Mr T here hahahaahhahaaa

Sent from Tapatalk

Clio RS 220
Indeed, lol. How's it going?
HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!!! Heyyyyyyy man, long time!!!!!! I tried to keep in touch by eBay but you closed that account. I couldn't be happier in my life after leaving that horrible Mazda 6 MPS! What a lot of f**king sh**e!!!!!! My God, even my 2006 model 1.8 Honda Civic handles and drives better than the MPS 6! I really couldn't stand the handling of the car despite the 0 to 60 and AWD. I'm test driving the 220 tomorrow, more than likely I'll get it. Need something with flappy pedals because of traffic on the work commute and also has to be 5 door (future proof if family extends!).

Man, you were one of the best pals in the MPSOC! Really wanted to say thanks again and good to find you back here again lol. I'll keep you posted how the test drive goes. I might do trackday with it and hope to finally meet you and Miguel on trackday someday bro!!!!! :smiley:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!!! Heyyyyyyy man, long time!!!!!! I tried to keep in touch by eBay but you closed that account. I couldn't be happier in my life after leaving that horrible Mazda 6 MPS! What a lot of f**king sh**e!!!!!! My God, even my 2006 model 1.8 Honda Civic handles and drives better than the MPS 6! I really couldn't stand the handling of the car despite the 0 to 60 and AWD. I'm test driving the 220 tomorrow, more than likely I'll get it. Need something with flappy pedals because of traffic on the work commute and also has to be 5 door (future proof if family extends!).

Man, you were one of the best pals in the MPSOC! Really wanted to say thanks again and good to find you back here again lol. I'll keep you posted how the test drive goes. I might do trackday with it and hope to finally meet you and Miguel on trackday someday bro!!!!! :smiley:
Haha, handling isn't the best, granted! Saying that I got mine around Oulton in a very respectable time on my first ever outing there, was on r888s though which helped a lot. You just have to go in super hot into corners and lift off which brings the rear around and the nose tucks in, tough car to drive on the limit though.

Good luck with your new purchase, cant go wrong with the hot Renaults for the fun factor.:up:

Haha, handling isn't the best, granted! Saying that I got mine around Oulton in a very respectable time on my first ever outing there, was on r888s though which helped a lot. You just have to go in super hot into corners and lift off which brings the rear around and the nose tucks in, tough car to drive on the limit though.

Good luck with your new purchase, cant go wrong with the hot Renaults for the fun factor.:up:

I'm in the market for a Civic myself, well for the missus. Had the 1.8 petrol FN, but will be going for the 2.2 derv this time as the petrol is way to slow at low revs.

Clio RS 220
I'm in the market for a Civic myself, well for the missus. Had the 1.8 petrol FN, but will be going for the 2.2 derv this time as the petrol is way to slow at low revs.
Aye, the 1.8 really doesn't have any oomph! Mines with i-Shift so it's even worse, sometimes it gets stuck and I have to restart. But I rather have this than the MPS. The MPS was leaking oil, I did a 5.5 litre oil change and 6 months later the dipstick was on the lowest bar!!!

Honda makes the most reliable cars imho, you just cannot go wrong with them. If the new Type R came with paddle shifts I would have financed it without any hesitation! The 2.2 derv is pretty good and not a single person I know of on the Civic owners forum that said they needed the timing belt changed.

My neighbour had RS Megane but the engine needed replacing! His last Clio 182 also had a lot of electrical issues. RS Megane is quicker but I like the looks of the Clio and being smaller and lighter means more fun hopefully. They give 4 years warranty, otherwise I wouldn't have felt confident about it. The 220 has a very stiffer suspension so I really hope it's not that bad lol.

Clio RS 220
A
Get the Beamer.

A friend has a 135i as a track car and it's hilarious fun.

Doesn't feel all that big, still nimble, hilarious torque and ~400bhp is downpipes and a map away
Today, a ClioSport Admin suggested me a Beemer!!!! :p

I'll test drive the 2015 m135i as well bro, more than likely I'll get the 220 because it'd be more fun on the B roads I reckon :D

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
A

Today, a ClioSport Admin suggested me a Beemer!!!! :tongueout:

I'll test drive the 2015 m135i as well bro, more than likely I'll get the 220 because it'd be more fun on the B roads I reckon :smiley:

I take it you've not seen my thread slating mk3 clios as dailies then lol?

As fun as they are, there's far better cars around imo. The naturally aspirated ones at least just lack the grunt to be a decent all rounder. And I can't bring myself to even test drive a 1.6t lol

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
E9* em free suspension, brakes and axles for on baby beakers without much hassle too.

1m for sub £10k

IMG_5456.JPG
IMG_5737.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG

The m3 front suspension needs 1 series top mounts and I think the prop shaft needs a little modification, otherwise it's all plug and play.

Clio RS 220
E9* em free suspension, brakes and axles for on baby beakers without much hassle too.

1m for sub £10k

View attachment 192080 View attachment 192081 View attachment 192082

The m3 front suspension needs 1 series top mounts and I think the prop shaft needs a little modification, otherwise it's all plug and play.
Everything looks great except the last pic..the instructor picking his nose. :laughing:
I'd love to get an M1 or GTR but need a 5 door.
The m135i without a doubt the best value for car out there, need to test drive it next week!
I'll keep everyone updated with the 220 test drive :D

Clio 200
Just a thought, I know it's not been released just yet but shouldn't be too far away, what about the new RS Megane. They are doing it with manual and the flappy paddles that you want? Would be similar price to new Type R and I'm sure will give it a very good run for its money!

Clio RS 220
Just a thought, I know it's not been released just yet but shouldn't be too far away, what about the new RS Megane. They are doing it with manual and the flappy paddles that you want? Would be similar price to new Type R and I'm sure will give it a very good run for its money!
RS Megan's are a bit too heavy for my taste bro. Most likely they'll be over 275 bhp but won't be as light and fun as the RS Clio i think? They won't start selling until next year most likely. I would've test drove the Twingo GT but it's even slower than my 1.8 Honda Civic!! [emoji23]

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:
  Clio RS 220
Just back from test driving the 220, apart from having no arm rest i can't complaint much! Not blistering fast but that handling though!!! Looks fantastic and ride was firm but not crashy, went over a few road bumps. Throttle response is very sharp, being turbo i didn't feel or notice any lag at all. Planted my foot both in auto and paddle shift mode but couldn't decide which one is better, i think auto but once i know the best rev range to swift i bet the paddle will feel much better. Inside doesn't feel premium but that doesn't bother me as the fun factor that i cannot put a price to. 5 doors and auto option would mean daily commute through traffic won't be a problem. I think I'm sold! Do i even need to test drive the m135i? Don't think it'd be this much fun

Sent from Tapatalk

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
RS Megan's are a bit too heavy for my taste bro. Most likely they'll be over 275 bhp but won't be as light and fun as the RS Clio i think? They won't start selling until next year most likely. I would've test drove the Twingo GT but it's even slower than my 1.8 Honda Civic!! [emoji23]

Sent from Tapatalk

The mk3 Meganes feel just like the mk3 clios just with a f**k load more power and torque.

It's literally like hopping from a 197/200 into a more powerful clio. I imagine the new one will feel much the same.

I honestly can't think of a reason to pick a clio over a Megane. The only reason I bought the clio was because it was cheapest to insure out of all the renaultsport models at the time. I'd probably have bought an r26 if the insurance wasn't ridiculous

Astra TT
Watched a 135i round Oulton Park the other day, it was the most boring uninspiring car to watch, but maybe it is more fun behind the wheel? The white RS looks spot on.

Clio RS 220
Watched a 135i round Oulton Park the other day, it was the most boring uninspiring car to watch, but maybe it is more fun behind the wheel? The white RS looks spot on.
The M135i is a savagely quick car and will blow a 220T into the weeds but the 220T is a more fun and accessible car to drive, the M135 is more of a mini-GT type of car.

It does motorways well but you still can have some fun through the twisty bits, however its one of those cars where you could very easily end up going very fast without realising.

It's like all the modern hyper hatches are - too fast to enjoy properly without taking some serious risks.

Me personally I'd take an ultimately slower less powerful car and enjoy getting the most out of it. Plus the 4 year warranty will let me sleep well, I used to have nightmares owning a Mazda6 MPS with leaky engine [emoji30]

Sent from Tapatalk