ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sump plug washer(s)

RS Clio 172 Cup
Just picked up a new sump plug and washer (Corteco from Euro car parts). It has two washers included, the copper one and another none copper with a rubber seal. Question is, do I bin the one with the seal? Obviously the more washers fitted the morn chance of a leak I'd think but would like to know for sure

​cheers

Audi A5
No! Don't bin the one with the rubber washer that is the one for f4r sump, because its made of alloy.

The copper washer is for sumps that are made of steel, like a 1.2 engine from a non-sport clio.

They probably just give two washers as they didn't know what sump you have.

make sure you remove your old washer, you only want to use one.

172 Cup
Do you know the recommended tightening torque on the sump plug?

I've always given sump plugs a good nip up. Something around 25Nm would be enough I would've thought, but don't try and tighten it too much. It's only a plug and not part of a stressed assembly after all.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Sorted, done the change today. Only problem I had was the sump plug washer euro supplied was the wrong one and didn't have anyway of getting up there to change it so I had to reuse the old plug washer. It wasn't in bad condition as far as I could see ie the rubber wasn't torn or uneven. I'm treating this as a 'flush' anyway so it will be changed in 1k.

​thanks again

Audi A5
Bloody ECP, good prices, but can sometimes be useless.

Just thinking about it, why didn't you just go to Renault for the oil filter and washer? would of been a couple quid more but the washer would of been correct and its always nice to use genuine parts.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Bloody ECP, good prices, but can sometimes be useless.

Just thinking about it, why didn't you just go to Renault for the oil filter and washer? would of been a couple quid more but the washer would of been correct and its always nice to use genuine parts.

I was 'just thinking about' the same thing, my own fault, lesson learned

Fingers crossed Tony! :)

LY FF182
I used one from halfords, listed as a ford mondeo washer but was identical to the f4r one. Didn't realise when I ordered that the filter didn't come with a washer

RS Clio 172 Cup
The filters not really something I'm happy with either from ECP if I'm honest. It's branded 'gutterman'. Il leave it for now then fit a genuine one when I change the oil.