ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharge the clio or buy a supercharged ep3 type r

Itb'd 182
I was wondering what you guys would do ?

is it worth charging the clio or buying a civic allready charged ?

thanks dan

AK

M240i
Supercharged Civic. Someone's already taken the hit that adding modified parts comes with.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Civic gearboxes are a lot better too TBH.

I think i'd be inclined to go for the civic given that choice, even though I really like how clios drive.

SQ5
I wouldn't want to buy something already done unless it was done as a demo by a garage. Who knows what abuse the car has gone through and what has been done and not done

big boost cup
The HondaPants will be easier to achieve peak numbers. never driven one so dont know how the handle with the extra power. It would also be easier to buy one ready made rather than build your own.
I love my charged cup and its epicly fast in a straight line. But I have spent serious wedge on getting it to that spec and its still not finished. If i was to do it all again I would be buying a ready made one

Chocolate Orange 172
Honda would be an all round better choice but if it was me I would go for something Nissan and turbo!

Itb'd 182
snap monkey - id rather do something expensive now when i dont have any major comitments

thanks for the other advice everyone else

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Neither. Both massive wastes of cash.

Save your pennies any buy something decent.

'Something decent'.. Everyone has different opinions. Pretty dumb post IMO.

I'd stick with the Clio. If you do the work yourself, you know it's been done right. Even if it does cost a bomb.

The HondaPants will be easier to achieve peak numbers. never driven one so dont know how the handle with the extra power. It would also be easier to buy one ready made rather than build your own.
I love my charged cup and its epicly fast in a straight line. But I have spent serious wedge on getting it to that spec and its still not finished. If i was to do it all again I would be buying a ready made one

Listen to Tom he has been there and done it. Car is a weapon but for the money spent i'm sure that he could have bought something with the power already there and designed to deliver 300+ BHP.

Itb'd 182
i think i need to test drive a s/c clio and a focus rs to see how they can handle the power , im sure the rs will be leaps and bounds above the clio but will the clio be faster and more fun to drive ?

Itb'd 182
its not nessacerly going to be crazy money as my 182 is allready throttle boddied so i can sell the bodies for around £1000 and dont have to buy standalone managment which saves me around £750

the main costs would be
The charger itself £1500
brackets £350
Intercooler and piping £400
Mapping £400
Megane keywayed pulley £35 iirc
Cambelt , dephaser basic service items £300

anything else id need ?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Neither, put your money into something that may have a decent bit of value when you want to sell it.

Evo 5 RS
Thinking of doing this next year tbh
watch

Last edited by a moderator:
  big boost cup
All depends what you want from the car as well if it's for track go fir bigger power from the TBs if it's just going to me a strip and fast road use boost is awesome. What power are you aiming for?

350bhp + is easily achievable with a rotrex on an ep3.

But tbh, bolt of mods and a good map get 250bhp, sort the handling out and they are a weapon. Especially with an LSD, i love the LSD in the JDM!

Renault Clio 182
Ep3 just because of the stronger gearboxes but if the clio had enough money put into coping with the charger then it would be pretty epic :)

BG DCI
Honda would be an all round better choice but if it was me I would go for something Nissan and turbo!

This is a great point!!

Something that has already got a turbo setup and you can then spend your money on internals for better reliability when boosting more power.

Turbo'ing a Honda is amazing fun with vtec and turbo but the amount of work / fabrication / money is an awful lot unless you are intending to keep the car for a long while.

If money is no objection then it doesn't matter way you sc or turbo as long as its done right!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i think i need to test drive a s/c clio and a focus rs to see how they can handle the power , im sure the rs will be leaps and bounds above the clio but will the clio be faster and more fun to drive ?

Biggest difference you'll notice is the focus RS has a proper diff.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ep3 just because of the stronger gearboxes but if the clio had enough money put into coping with the charger then it would be pretty epic :)

If he is feeling adverturous enough he could do what I am and get the best of both worlds, honda mechanicals into a clio shell:
1fd3e1dc.jpg

I reckon the complete conversion is going to cost me around 3-4K for the engine, gearbox with lsd, inlet, turbo + manifold + downpipe, injectors, driveshafts etc. That should see 300bhp or so and hopefully be quite reliable at that level.
Already got the management so dont have to buy that, but that could be done far cheaper than I am anyway as 600 quid of mtech or omex would fundamentally do it, I just happen to be using Autronic cause I like mapping them, even though its total overkill.

R27, JCW GP, M4, M2
Thing is though, its only a 1.6, so suffers in power stakes, and with the eaton chargers they run its not ideal for a revvy trackday car either.
Ultimately 218bhp in a car that weighs as much as a megane rather than a clio isnt exactly giving them amazing straightline performace, they do handle well though.

Yer see where your coming from, although the GP only weights 1120Kg which is 80kg less than a clio 200 cup never mind a megane.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yer see where your coming from, although the GP only weights 1120Kg which is 80kg less than a clio 200 cup never mind a megane.

Fair point when its the GP as they are that bit lighter than a normal mini cooper s, although even still thats a lot heavier than a 172 still, so its still only halfway between the two.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Either way I watch this and it puts a smile on my face lol, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhqNt_tESmI

TBH I think all that vid demonstrates is the porche's in questions arent being driven very well ane the guy in the mini is quite good.
Judging by the number of them out on track at once, possibly some sort of experience day for people who havent driven the ring before or similar?

The GPs are quite good little cars, but a well driven GT3 would just utterly destroy it.

I overtake cars all the time in my mk1 clio that if I was driving the other car it would be gone, trackdays are so much about the driver an their level of commitment and track experience etc rather than a good appraisal of different cars.

R27, JCW GP, M4, M2
TBH I think all that vid demonstrates is the porche's in questions arent being driven very well ane the guy in the mini is quite good.
Judging by the number of them out on track at once, possibly some sort of experience day for people who havent driven the ring before or similar?

The GPs are quite good little cars, but a well driven GT3 would just utterly destroy it.

I overtake cars all the time in my mk1 clio that if I was driving the other car it would be gone, trackdays are so much about the driver an their level of commitment and track experience etc rather than a good appraisal of different cars.

TBH the point I was trying to put across is that the GP is a very compident track car package. Obviously a GT3 would win. Maybe the clip wasn't the right one to put up.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH the point I was trying to put across is that the GP is a very compident track car package. Obviously a GT3 would win. Maybe the clip wasn't the right one to put up.

Agreed mate, they work ok, the problem with them though is they are expensive to get big power out of despite the fact they are already supercharged, so not really any better starting point than a 172 which is also a good trackday car and cheaper to buy, in fact TBH I reckon with say 5K to spend on each, you could make the 172 quicker than you could the mini.