ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharged MK1 F4R track car project

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1
Re: MK1 F7R track car project

Well, I guess there isnt much else that needs doing. The only lengthily process left is flatting down and polishing paint. I bought some grip tape for the foot wells. Just needs putting back together now. It's mot'd, taxed and insured so I can drive it whenever I like really. I'll drive for a bit on the road and then do my first proper track day in it. Can't wait!

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

Cool picture from today.

cd4ff8d3.jpg

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

Today I removed the subframe and suspension to replace the Williams ARB with a 172 ARB and to fit the powerflex bushes I have bought for the wishbones and ARB.
I have been shopping recently and bought a sabelt renaultsport steering wheel, a ph1 172 gearstick and the all important cliosport sticker and tax disc holder.

0082c67c.jpg

Me and Nath also decided it would look cool to paint all the inside of the door and 3/4 skins with black paint.

6460fb1d.jpg

Hey! :D

64eaee82.jpg

Here is the beginning of my Oil pressure, Temperature and volt gauge holder.

73118817.jpg

Its just a sheet of steel with some holes cut and some exhaust U clamps welded to the back. I plan on flocking this when my flocking machine is finished. Which brings me to my next mini project im currently building.

e58b2ee5.jpg

5022894a.jpg

f63e709d.jpg

1515d61b.jpg

Im making a flocking machine so I can flock everything that I want in my car.the Dashboard and a few other little interior things. Thought it would be cool to make. The main componants are a flyback tranformer which steps the voltage up to about 30kv, a lunchbox, a torch, a strainer and a few other small electrical componants and switches. I hope it works!

cordoba,panda 100 hp

wow, what an epic build, truely inspirational, realy want to get my finger out now, well done

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

My new steering wheel arrived today. Pictures don't do it justice. It's awesome. Look good, feels immense! Love it

dca8cbc4.jpg

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

Just arrived in Grantham in it. Drove alright, no more wobbles or anything!

The temperature gauge and speedo dont work. Ideas anyone? Has anybody got a copy of f0xys mk1 f4r wiring look PDFs?

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

Ok, so i have been driving this recently. Needs a bit more work for me to be completley happy with it, but it is certainly ready for the track. Here are some pictures that have been taken recently. Thanks to the other photographers for their pictures.
Very impressed with the way it drives so far.

8d499c6d.jpg

08a2a9cf.jpg

eadf4618.jpg

5f4144ec.jpg

3c346d2b.jpg

6ee54fce.jpg

2a8bdc0b.jpg

086b9648.jpg

2025b8d6.jpg

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1
Re: MK1 F4R track car project

Right, so now i have been driving this for a while i have got bored with the power. I want more. I have decided to supercharge it. I am collecting the bits i need and trying to find an eaton m62 supercharger. Im going to do it all myself (obviously) :)

I am going to make a new inlet manifold that holds the charger in place for a nice neat and simple installation. If it works well i might even make a few more to sell if there is any interest. Updates should happen over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...

good to see your still alive Danny boy and glad the cars back in the love zone of your psyche ;)

I still have so much love for the K plate that inspired my mark 1 obsession and you've done it proud, looks lovely! when you next about on track, wouldn't mind a catch up and a spin out in it and I fancy another track day before the winter sets in!

what happened to your stop pedal?!

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

Hey, thanks coops. Its sitting in my garage now. Im undecided whether to MOT it now or just wait till just before I start to supercharge it.
The stop pedal fell off when i was trying to bleed the rear brakes with a Knackered bias valve. I need to get some more glue to put it back on with.

I phoned up RS tuning today for a chat, but who ever answered the phone didnt appear to want to talk to me. Probably thought i was talking s**te and dreaming. Ah well. I guess ill just have to ring him when its done.

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

I just bought this on USA ebay.

29F0CB67-C8BA-4590-A01D-FC6C53B4E000-51514-00000286CAD95ECE.jpg

Just need to buy some megane 225 injectors now.
I have came up with a design for my inlet manifold and i will start building it when my charger arrives. It shouldnt be too hard to make, i have a spare bottom inlet which i will be cutting the mounting plate off of, so i wont have to mess about making my own. It will be interesting to see if it will fit in with the standard radiator and fan.

Ill update progress as it happens.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Danny,

How did you go about wiring up your interior? (Stalks, wipers, lights, clocks etc)

just a very brief rundown?

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

Im running a full 172 loom with uch. I basically cut the plugs off everything and converted them to mk1 plugs. Its easier if you have a friend to operate the switches and you can use a meter to find out what does what. Time consuming process. I guess i could make a guide and some take some pictures which would help. How are you doing yours?
I love how the trip computer works quite accurately too, Its a nice touch. :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

That's exactly what I want to do, but I don't have a 172 ECU, i've got a Mtec.

Will this matter?? lol.

(I really wish i'd thought about this before I re-shelled it!)

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

I dont know what a mtech is, but if it replaces the standard ecu and uses the same loom, i cant see there being much or a problem.
Does the mtech support the trip computer?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Fcuk knows, Chip fitted it, mainly because I want to Turbo it next year and standalone proved cheaper and easier (LOL, not so far!) than standard.

CHIIIPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1

Also forgot to add, my car has central locking, RAID, alarm, immobiliser and all the other things mk2s have. Get yourself some mk2 door mechanisms and they bolt directly to the mk1 doors.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I'm not worried about any of that, I just want to get it MOT worthy. Ish.

I have however just found out (within the last 2 minutes!) that I have a nearly complete 172 at my disposal.

So you have given me some proper good inspiriation and ideas! I'm going to do what you did and basically convert the loom. As long as it runs, the wipers/lights work and the dash works, i'm not worried about the fuel computer etc.

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1
So I have been thinking about how I will go about doing this build.
I will either somehow mount the supercharger below the existing inlet manifold, use a plate like this one:

d15c3fcf.jpg

to hook it up to an intercooler, and then into the standard t/b and inlet manifold set up.

Second option is to make something similar to this.

OAView2.jpg

So both blow and draw through designs. I don't know which one would be best. Fabrication is not a problem for either design. I also don't know whether to use an intercooler either. If I do use an intercooler, I'm thinking the blow through design would be best, also using the blow through design would mean i can use a vent to atmosphere BOV which appear to be easier to plumb in.

SQ5
Only just seen this thread.

Running an eaton hasn't been mentioned on here much but as been talked about "off forum" a fair bit.

Unfortunately, it probably won't work very well. Me and Rhys Beal had a long conversation with TDF about doing it and its A LOT of load on the crank. Also due to the smaller pulley on the large Renault crank pulley, it does something with the gearing, but using a bigger pulley on the Eaton then reduces boost by a fair old margin.

Your other option is the Rotrex but it won't fit due to how the subframe front legs are on the Mk1's.

Some one from Haverhill was going to have his running an eaton the day after css, he still hasnt done it.

I hope you make this work, and get decent gains. But as DannyR said it could cause a lot of problems for little gain.

SQ5
And he completely gave up as far as I'm aware. Physically it can be mounted and working but your unlikely to see anything impressive gain wise.

I would loved to be proved wrong but nobody has yet ;)

And he completely gave up as far as I'm aware. Physically it can be mounted and working but your unlikely to see anything impressive gain wise.

I would loved to be proved wrong but nobody has yet ;)

Was selling it last thing I heard, if Rhys didn't pursue the Eaton that's enough to put me off!

I would mount the throttle body before the supercharger for both designs. If you don't they make a terrible noise of constant whine.
Mx-5 owners use 2 throttle bodys to get around the noise.

Mounting the supercharger straight to inlet would work just dont go over spinning the supercharger and use a larger pulley just to keep the heat down.
Another thing is where to mount the injectors as they aren't direct to head like f7r on the f4r.

Also I would keyway the pulley just for safety.

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1
Thanks for the info and advise guys!

If no one else has done it yet, it makes it more of a challenge for me. ;)

I didn't plan on spinning the charger on the standard crank pulley anyway. The plan is to modify the crank pulley to hold a 6.5"/165mm pulley to spin the 3.35"/85mm pulley on the charger. This means the charger will have its own belt. Hopefully using a larger pulley on the crank will reduce the amount of stress on the crank.

I had a look at the laminova system, looks interesting. I think I will have to have more of a detailed look in the future.
I could imagine that running 2 throttle bodies would be tricky to achieve. Again, something I'll have to look into more.