ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping hubs

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Trying to find coilovers in my budget is proving difficult with the 60mm Bolt spacing..

Thinking of swapping to 182 non cup Hubs, is it as easy as just getting new hubs or are the drive shafts different too, I seem to remember reading shafts were different...

Quick seach hasnt thrown up anything specific tbh.. Unless iv missed something...

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
You know you can just get an engineer to slot normal coilovers to fit 60mm as well?

Im sure the cup hubs are slightly thicker so would need machined... But then i could be making that up haha

I couldn't find any info when looking.

I didn't bother due to the cup and non cup having different part numbers for drive shafts.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Not alot tbh.. £300-£400 probably going to go for new cup shocks and maybe cooksport springs/eibachs

I did a LOT of research into this the other way round as I got offered some 182 cup coilovers I wanted but I have a 172 cup

Driveshafts are the same length, so are the wishbones, balljoints and track control arms

As far as I can tell 172 cup and 182 cup hubs are interchangeable
The only difference is the 172 cup hub has a smaller/cheaper wheel bearing in it and it's thinner so you lose 5-6mm of width. But you could use spacers to bring it back out

To be honest though if your budget is that low I'd just do as people have said and fit new 182 cup shocks with some eibach/cooksport springs. Whack a whiteline ARB on the rear too and it'll be a good little setup :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Thats my plan now.. Going to order new shocks all round, poly bushes and whiteline in next couple months...

BG182FF
Trying to find coilovers in my budget is proving difficult with the 60mm Bolt spacing..

Thinking of swapping to 182 non cup Hubs, is it as easy as just getting new hubs or are the drive shafts different too, I seem to remember reading shafts were different...

Quick seach hasnt thrown up anything specific tbh.. Unless iv missed something...

Im looking into doing exactly this buddy, changing my 60mm hubs to 54mm hubs off a 172. I stuck a thread up about it a fair few months ago asking what parts were required to change, I was told hubs, shafts and the steering rack arms?

I did a LOT of research into this the other way round as I got offered some 182 cup coilovers I wanted but I have a 172 cup

Driveshafts are the same length, so are the wishbones, balljoints and track control arms

As far as I can tell 172 cup and 182 cup hubs are interchangeable
The only difference is the 172 cup hub has a smaller/cheaper wheel bearing in it and it's thinner so you lose 5-6mm of width. But you could use spacers to bring it back out

To be honest though if your budget is that low I'd just do as people have said and fit new 182 cup shocks with some eibach/cooksport springs. Whack a whiteline ARB on the rear too and it'll be a good little setup :)

Phil, thats good news if thats all that is required. Just been looking at the stickied thread about the different bolt hole spacings on 172/182/182cup, the 172 cup uses the exact same hubs as the standard spec 172, no?

Meaning all I require to change from 60mm to 54mm is the hubs (+bearings) ?

Reason for all my questioning is I got a bit excited over the xmas hols and have ended up purchasing a 54mm spax rsx kit, then a day or 2 later an FK Konigsport kit (also 54mm) Not keen to have the bolt holes machined tbh as i'd run the risk of weakening the mount locations.

thanks in advance