ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Tappets' / Erratic Acceleration when cold

BMW E46 330i Touring
I know that these engines are notoriously lumpy when cold but I never experienced what I get in my Cup when I had my Ph1...

When it's cold, it's very tappetty - it sounds like an old Mk2 Fiesta! It's an '03 Cup with 70k, so slightly high miles but I wouldn't expect the engine to sound like it does - my ph1 was sold on more miles than that and it never sounded as tappetty as this one.

Also, the acceleration is very erratic. It pulls away fine, up to about 2k revs, where it kind of holds back as you push the fast pedal a bit further, and then shoots up to around 3k revs all at once, making it pretty hard to drive smoothly.

Once it's warm after a few minutes it's absolute fine and runs like a dream. Anything I should get checked out / be concerned about?

PH2 172
Mine does it aswell mate its just where the engine si cold needs time to warm u so drive it under 3k untill warm its nowt to worry bout

Clio MK 4
mine aswell except at the moment mine actually cuts out whils driving. so count yourself lucky lol. I have that tapetty sound aswell. Is it like very tinny sound and worst when first starting up. I cant drive with my windows down at the moment as it annoys me that much!