ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tapping noise on idle

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
I got a noise wondering if its common. It dont do it all the time just now and again and when the revs are raised a tad it stops.It cant be heard much from outside mainly when just sat in the car with the car idling.It doesnt sound like a hydraulic lifter as its not metalic enough and very loud although i wouldnt rule it out.I was wondering if the vvt controller might make such a noise ever? Its had 4 oil changes in 12 month/20k using mobil synt 5/40 and has only done 4k since last one. Ive done probably near on 4k since i first noticed the noise too so it cant be anything about to "let go" otherwise im sure it would have done by now.If the revs are raised and allowed to drop again it takes a few seconds after for the noise to start again.It doesnt dissapear when clutch is pressed so rules out the release bearing. No silly answers please!

Black 197
Does it sound like a very slight ticking sound ? only ask coz i have had this on my 182 - well my first engine did till it whent bang with cambelt/aux failure (wasnt the cause though so dont panic) - but since new engine in it doesnt do it.. I never found out what it was coz was only audible from within the car - nothing heard when head in bay though ? strange but one of lifes little mysteries lol

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Either going to be Dephaser pulley on the Inlet camshaft or the Charcoal Canister Solenoid. One is cheap one is dear to fix! :S

clio rs 2000
if the car sounds like a diesel engine on idle esspecially when the engine is warm
it is dephaser pulley %100
if it is sounds like a sewing machine the lifters gone

Phase 2 172 Cup
why would mine do this occationally, then run perfectly for months?

its only when it gets really warm

i thought it maybe needed a gread thicker oil (running 5w30 or whatever the book says)

clio rs 2000
why would mine do this occationally, then run perfectly for months?

its only when it gets really warm

i thought it maybe needed a gread thicker oil (running 5w30 or whatever the book says)
its not because oil you can not fix it with cahanging oil
yours is dephaser pulley
if you change it a little performance will come back
if the sound is very high change it for not having different problems

172 Cup
I'm getting a tappety diesel engine type noise from my car but not overly noticeable so. Sometimes when I drive it I get a strage noise between 1500-1800rpm when the Cams phase is being altered by the VVT puuley. Theres loadsof posts on the de-phaser pulley seems a common problem. They are £124 for the pulley at Renault new but bare in mind the Cambelt has to come off to change it so be as well changing it at the same time. I'd get a garage to check it if you are in doubt as it could be a new engine if the bearings go on the pulley.

mps aero
its not realy a problem that needs sorting urgently. i got mine done about a month ago and its out of line again so im taking it bk.