ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TDC sensor loom connection

182 Trophy
i have a new TDC sensor and loom to fit, supplied by Renault with the updated blue connectors.
The loom is supplied as a connector with two wire tails, which clearly need stripping back and joining up with the car-side loom somehow. Two, what can only be described as, small clear plastic 'tubes' are also provided, presumably to aid the joining up.
Can anyone provide a simple guide to the best way to achieve a secure and long-lasting connection back to the car loom - presumably some basic soldering and a connector block is required?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Just wondering, did this turn out to be straightforward as I need to do the same?

dan's cast offs.
pretty much as mark said. twist the wires together a bit before you shrink it in place. don't worry if the solder seems to take a while to melt.

I wouldn't use those heat shrink things supplied. Load of s**t. I couldn't get it right bearing in mind how tight and awkward it is by the sensor. I just used scotch locks. No issues.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I wouldn't use those heat shrink things supplied. Load of s**t. I couldn't get it right bearing in mind how tight and awkward it is by the sensor. I just used scotch locks. No issues.
The supplied solder sleeves are quite possibly the easiest thing to use tbh mate. I'd rather have bamboo stuffed under my finger nails than use a scotch lock as well tbh. I'm with @bloke here, live and learn!

The supplied solder sleeves are quite possibly the easiest thing to use tbh mate. I'd rather have bamboo stuffed under my finger nails than use a scotch lock as well tbh. I'm with @bloke here, live and learn!

Maybe it's just me then lol. I just couldn't get it right but i can be a bit retarded at times.
But still going strong 4 months on.

182 Trophy
they should be solder filled heatshrink ones.
I didn't get on so well with these, just couldn't get enough heat into them to melt the solder. In the end, I linked the bare ended wires by twisting together, then used a more traditional soldering method, followed by heat shrink and then electrical tape. Nice solid connection for both wires.
Very fiddly job all round but car started first time after it was done, so can't complain!!

ldubl

ClioSport Club Member
Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd give some guidance, for novices like me, planning to do this.

Old wiring had a couple of bends with wire exposed plus corrosion, the old wiring was thinner in total diameter compared to the thicker shiny new version.

IMG_9857.jpeg

It's quite a tight space, so using a wire cutter was challenging. This video was helpful:

(scary as very close to the base of the original wire! Essentially use a lighter and your nail. Take your time & be careful of your thumb & other wires / hoses)

In one thread, there were opposing views re which wire goes to which. With limited space and both the intake and battery removed, I wanted to avoid having to reassemble everything just to check it was the correct way round.

One post astutely observed that the wires have matching orientation on the connectors, so the top wire matches on both connectors (correctly orientated!)
Another post suggested there may be + & - markings on the connector, there were A & B next to each wire on both the old & new connectors (both Renault items) and these matched up (think A was the top light brown / yellow wire and this connected to the original light brown one, B the lower wire pink connected to white)

IMG_9871.jpeg

IMG_9876.jpeg

This video was really useful in using the supplied connectors:

I was surprised; only need to push the wires together and not wrap / twist them round each other. Heating the solder with a lighter melts it and makes the connection (solder seen melting / bubbling) I took a leap of faith & heat activated the connectors, hoping it worked first time. Then put some e-tape at each end.

IMG_9866.jpeg

IMG_9867.jpeg

IMG_9868.jpeg

Two 10mm nuts holding the sensor in, clip to the new wiring / loom & started first time :)

Last edited: