ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tesco Or V-Power?

E30 318iS x2
I don't touch tesco tbh, its more expensive than my local Texico's and Total and my clio seems to just drink it, doesn't last very long at all.

Shell FTW

320d
I don't touch tesco tbh, its more expensive than my local Texico's and Total and my clio seems to just drink it, doesn't last very long at all.

Shell FTW

I don't know about that mate, I notice no difference in anything no matter what petrol i use. MPG, speed (or lack off), responce etc.

E30 318iS x2

Shell FTW

I don't know about that mate, I notice no difference in anything no matter what petrol i use. MPG, speed (or lack off), responce etc.

Just an observation of mine, IMO my clio runs better on Totals 95, also did did well on BP.

2008 Albi 197
Shell is cheaper than Tesco here, although I use normal unleaded and not V power, put V power in once and felt no noticable difference, just cost a fiver more for the same amount so not worth it imo. Always use shell though these days

Iceburg 172FF
I use whatever is closest when i need petrol. usually 98 ron because its mapped for it now but it doesnt make much of a difference other than a few quid.

clio sport 172, 2002
Shell is cheaper than Tesco here, although I use normal unleaded and not V power, put V power in once and felt no noticable difference, just cost a fiver more for the same amount so not worth it imo. Always use shell though these days

you've got to think about it like this, if you drink 1pint of beer you dont feel it do you, but if you drank 10pints you'd know about it wouldnt you lol,

so keep putting it in :)

Ph1
It says the recommended ron to run on the filler. The rest is down to the owner on their own opinions on the matter

Shell every time for me. Only had / been forced to to fill up with unleaded 3 times in 8 years of owning the car

I regularly use the Tesco 99 rocket fuel.

A. It's on my way to work
B. I don't have to go into the busy kiosk and wait behind some dotty OAP while they do the lottery...

I also use the 97 Ron Total Elf Excellium as car seems to like that.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I'm running tesco 99 these days with the odd tank of ultimate or v-power for cleaning additives, some good results for the tesco 99 in a recent test against shell,bp etc. slightly more torque was recorded out of bp and shell but tesco 99 beat them on top end power.

2008 Albi 197

you've got to think about it like this, if you drink 1pint of beer you dont feel it do you, but if you drank 10pints you'd know about it wouldnt you lol,

so keep putting it in :)

Never thought of it like that actually lol

So what are the supposed benefits from V power and is it worth the extra money?

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Found this on a forum, its from EVOs golf gti test not my write up,

In the January issue of evo magazine, they ran a test comparing supermarket fuels against the top brands in the UK, to see which yields the greatest performance gains, if any. They actually perferomed two tests, one with 'regular' 95 octane petrol, and the other using the 'super' 99 octane. (In Europe, octane is measured in RON, where as over in America, 95 would be equivalent to maybe your 91 octane?)

For the tests, they used two cars. A V10 BMW M5 and the VW Golf GTI.
(We will ignore the results for the M5 as regardless of what fuel it was running, from the everyday supermarket 95, to the 99 Super Unleaded Shell Optimax premium fuel, they all produced the same performance figures. Does this mean rip is right? No of course not, the explanation they give was due to the BMW's advance engine manegment system. But since few of us drive state of the art V10 powered cars, I won't go into detail about the explanation they give as to why.)

So getting back to the Golf GTI, the results were as follows:

Shell 95
-Max power: 205bhp @ 5600rpm
-Max torque: 234lb ft @ 2650rpm

BP 95
-Max power: 204bhp @ 5600rpm
-Max torque: 242lb ft @ 2300-3100rpm

Supermarket 95
-results thrown out as fuel samples not consistent
------

Shell Optimax 98
-Max power: 209bhp @ 5500rpm
-Max torque: 242lb ft @ 2500-2900rpm

Tesco 99
-Max power: 212bhp @ 5500rpm
-Max torque: 242lb ft @ 2400-3500rpm

BP Ulimate 98
-Max power: 212bhp @ 5300rpm
-Max torque: 252lb ft @ 2400-2500rpm

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
I use tesco, not because i think it's any better than shell optimax (which is my second choice) but just as its cheaper and close to my work. I carnt tell any difference between the two

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I use shell regular with vpower every 6 weeks or so for cleaning purposes..

Iv been on a tour at Shell Global Solutions (where its developed), and you wouldnt believe the difference it makes to your valves etc compared to the likes of tesco piss

Used to run vpower all the time but my local is a rip off works out at least 10p more a litre than tesco 99, so I now use that. Not noticed any difference in either bar the price. I saw a review online somewhere where they tested v power, bp ultimate and tesco 99 using the same car, and tesco came out on top for mpg.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
cant get the 99 at my tesco but the 97 is cheaper at tesco so i used that

wish they did 99 local