ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tether. End of.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
One of the injector's popped off ^

Anyway you've missed a month of dreadful motoring so I'll spare you the full story.

To summarise:

Problem(s): Glow plug light constantly on, car cuts out under full throttle, starts after about 20 seconds of turning over and a massive white plume of smoke exits the exhaust. This is because the ECU thinks/knows the engine isn't getting enough fuel.

1. Glow plugs and relay changed. Fault cleared. Came back on 4 days later.
2. EGR Valve cleaned.
3. Boost pipework replaced.
4. Fuel pump replaced
5. Fuel filter replaced
6. Replaced injectors 3 and 4
7. Fuel tank dropped, seal and ring replaced, oil strainer replaced.
8. System flushed, oil changed, fault cleared.
9. Return fuel pipe clip replaced.

Cost: £1000+

Extra comments: We figured out in the end the dumb WOMAN (what a surprise) that had it before filled it up with petrol, drove around for a while, then thought 's**t' and got the tank cleaned but the clown who did it f**king hammered the ring on, as opposed to screwing it on. The petrol wore away all the seals and eventually the engine couldn't get enough compression throwing up the glow plug light. It was sucking air in from the seal and the return clip was buggered as well. It still needs two new injectors but that's for another day.

Now there's something wrong with the return, as the fuel sender unit is covered in leaking diesel, and when you prime it you can hear it sucking in just air as opposed to fuel. It's rough as hell on idle as there is about 70% air 30% fuel mixture in the lines.

The lines are getting replaced on Tuesday and the return valve is being checked/possibly replaced as well.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
What are you talking about? Everyone knows Renault are the bastions of car quality.

Anyway I think it's unfair to critisize because clearly this is all down to woman-error.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Johnson did you clear that strainer? the ring and seal for it is £22 from the stealers.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Cleaned it mate. When he dropped the tank he cleaned the strainer and replaced the oil filter, oil, ring and seal. The ring was smashed and the seal had completely disentegrated. Strainer was clean, the tank was sparkling. That's how we came to the conclusion the woman put petrol in it.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
haha yes not good the petrol will shag the injectors too. It does absolutely nothing for the seals in the system. Are you replacing all the injectors now?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Not currently, can't afford it, I've already gotten in loads of trouble from the mrs thus far lol.

After the current problem (massive amounts of air in fuel lines) is fixed, I'll save £280 to get two more new injectors fitted and coded.

That'll be pretty much everything replaced!

It sucks because I've still got to consider the general maintenence of the car as well. It needs a new AUX belt (£55 fitted) that's priority after the air problem's fixed. When it's all hokey pokey hopefully I'll have a car that'll last until the earth runs out of fossil fuels!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Joys of motoring, my car is virtually new mate you wouldnt like to see the receipts of what i have paid out.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Without mods I have £1500 of receipts just on parts as i do all my own labour. Its not good. And thats without the 4k receipts the previous owner racked up lol

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
what i have done.

Injectors=426.90
clutch=119.83
wishbones=66.60
trackrod ends=21.34
2x rear shocks=84.30
fuel pressure regulator=75.43
glow plug relay=56.32
sender unit=193.50
tank ring and seal=22.50
fuel lines=58.70
boost sensor=48.76
drive shafts=143.60
headlight=50
engine de-carboned=272.88
4x wheel bearings=126.40

£1492

Thats without the brakes and tyres obviously and the full service it gets every 6months

The previous owner had the cambelt snap. so it's had a brand new cylinder head and cambelt kit and labour totalling over 2.5k amongst other stuff like exhaust and engine mounts plus the labour totalling nearly 3.5k. all in the past 4 years aswell.

dogbone mount= 33.67
egr valve= 96.75

Last edited:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Just remembered also got a brand new borgwarner turbo off. MATT BLACK for 150

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
That's quite a list! Did anything cause it or just general wear and tear?

Seeing the price of the fuel lines and sender unit just sent shivers up my spine, as I fear that's what may have to be replaced.

:(

Don't you just hate to see actually half-decent cars ruined by sh*t previous owners?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Ok remember when my injector popped off? Well that was because I decided to give it full throttle and see what happened, it was like it hit a wall at 75mph, stuck at 3000RPM even though my foot was firmly planted, lights were screaming at me but I persisted. I didn't know the injector had popped out of it's place until I came to a stop.

What caused this?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
PMSL sorry for the triple post but he thought it was £40 from memory, turns out it's actually £240.

One way of solving it kind of is keeping the tank full. Apparently that helps it. He's going to put a new ring and seal on it and pressure check it as well to check the lines but looks like that's game over as far as fixing it goes. Cannot afford 2 new injectors and that sender unit any time in the near or far future.

F*CK OFF.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
told you the sender unit is expensive lol i nearly lamped my mate at renault when he told me lol

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Ok new development. The fuel tank is warped.

So he's sourcing me a new fuel tank and sender unit along with it from a breakers.

:)

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
p.m.s.l @ this whole situation.

He managed to 'modify' the tank. This has stopped the leak and the air, apparently.

Now though, the engine management light is on (not sure if this is ALONG WITH the glow plug light as I was in awe at the whole situation I didn't think to ask!) He's not plugged it in yet to see what it says but it should be quite hilarious when he does.

Got to give him a phone tomorrow.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Not in Broughty Ferry. The insurers wouldn't believe it. ;)

So I'm screwed because if I traded it in I'd be paying off 2 cars...

EDIT: My train of thought here is f*cked EGR, too much oil on it, which means f*cked turbo.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I can't lol! I'm owe £1350 on it, I've spent that alone 'repairing' it. If I binned it I'd be so out of pocket. Then I'd need to buy another derv and I don't feel like losing another 3 or so grand.

:(

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Pwnt.

On the other hand buy a new car with your wage rise after your lunch?

Oh wait...

Titanium 182
Is this clio a white one with rust on it or have you got a new one ? or am I thinking of someone else's clio on here ?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Game over guys.

Glow plug lights on, engine management lights on (injectors), air still in lines.

Injector faults and low fuel pressure are the faults.

He said I'd have to throw silly money at this car to get it fixed. He's not charged me anything for the 'work' he did this week.

Don't know what to do! Really!

a) Sell it privately give my dad the cash back but risk being smashed by the new owner for lying about the condition lol
b) Trade it in and get another car, but have to pay back two cars.
c) keep it...but how long will it last? If it totally dies options 1 and 2 are no longer feasible.

Help. :(