ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Art of Detail: SL Restoration...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I don't remember that I just remember it was the first time I'd seen a hobbyist using a paint depth gauge and everyone thought cause it chatted to a laptop it was very high tech etc and got over excited. Then the 5k thing got thrown about as if he had actually paid it when I don't think he had tbh (was a mate or some thing) and then it kind of went viral.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That was the white 'ring' edition he traded in his blue one for iirc

Yeah same guy, general consensus was he must have cried that his car wasnt bought back by vauxhall for 5k more than he bought it for in the first place. Lol.
Joking aside though it was a nicely done car considering was in a single garage etc.

Williams 2
how much would that mazza job cost (without the paintwork)

I would guess that work was between £1,000-£1,500.

But then I don't see what else you could possibly do in addition to that thread, and with some details apparently costing 5k it's hard to say.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I guess the next step in extremity is sanding to the point where the paint / clearcoat all has the exact same depth.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I guess the next step in extremity is sanding to the point where the paint / clearcoat all has the exact same depth.

Trouble is with that, the paint won't be the same height before the clear coat goes on, so to achieve it you would have to remove all the clear coat, then level the paint, then reapply the clearcoat, and paint doesn't always look best on a contoured surface at uniform thickness anyway.
Despite the slagging standard paint jobs get manufactures research pretty hard into how much paint to put in what shape contours I would wager and its probably better that even in a lot of cases.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Oh I don't disagree Chip, I'm nowhere near enough experienced or knowledgable to be able to cast an opinion on the merits of going to that length. But it's a damn good selling point...

I do enjoy reading the OCD write-ups and treat it as a hobby and a way of spending some much-needed time in my own bubble every once in a while.

Clio
lol at the grease monkeys vs the soap monkeys.

Leave Chip alone. He likes to learn and know things. I imagine he has a library with leather bound books. (he also knows f**k all about aliens)

Anyway can someone explain what he has done with the badges? Has he took them off, removed the sticky off the back and put new sticky on, then spent 3 hours cutting the excess adhesive off so it looks right? or is it a fuck up by Maserati he is correcting?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
He took them of due to painting the wings. Instead of replacing them at a hefty price he re-taped them.

As I said earlier it happens everyday of the week in bodyshops across the country. I have the scars to prove it!

Williams 2
He took them of due to painting the wings. Instead of replacing them at a hefty price he re-taped them.

As I said earlier it happens everyday of the week in bodyshops across the country. I have the scars to prove it!

I don't know a bodyshop that keeps them on. (The model name or trim badges on back and sides)

Admittedly I only know 2 professional painters. But still.

Gally, what do you think of his finished shots? I don't think he has showed off the end result very well.

Clio
Yes Kevin I understand he took them off. What I don't understand is why he spent 3 hours doing cutting? So was i right that he stripped all the adhesive off and retaped them and it took all the time getting it cut around the letters?

I would have used a bit of no nails and glued them back on!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes Kevin I understand he took them off. What I don't understand is why he spent 3 hours doing cutting? So was i right that he stripped all the adhesive off and retaped them and it took all the time getting it cut around the letters?

He could have used magnetic backing. Make it easier to clean again next weekend then.

Williams 2

All due respect to the guy, but I can only presume he has exaggerrated to give the impression that everything takes a really long time and justify the cost. The thread is basically an advertisement.

I doubt even a Maserati badge brand new costs enough to warrant spending 3 hours labour on it. Even if it did cost more, i'd rather do that than piss about for 3 hours. It's just a waste of time.

There's a proper 3m adhesive that you can get specially for attaching small decals and trim to bodywork. If you get it on nice and thin you can press the trim practically flush against the bodywork. Its sticky stuff so easy to sit the badge back on right and looks spot-on.

It's a shame to me because stuff like that distracts from what is obviously an excellent job. IMO, the work involved in paintwork correction is sometimes over-exaggerrated, and little bits like that badge reinforce that opinion a little bit which is a shame as this guy clearly knows exactly what he is doing and has done an excellent job judging by the close ups.

Last edited:
  Clio
He could have used magnetic backing. Make it easier to clean again next weekend then.

I think that is where your detailing brain doesn't exist. Practical yes. I imagine that you couldn't safely attach with magnets the same depth as with adhesive.

Its a different world from you grease monkey.

Clio
Thanks Ricky. I think you've confirmed what I thought. He obviously does a top notch job but has over engineered the badge solution.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Quick question, is this adhesive he uses super special or something as whenever you apply a sticker you always degrease the area your sticking it to and he's just used a shed load of chemicals all over the car.

wouldnt any normal "sticker" just fall off?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think the after shots aren't helped by the colour of the car. It's heavy flaked like Basalt Black on the Porsches.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Quick question, is this adhesive he uses super special or something as whenever you apply a sticker you always degrease the area your sticking it to and he's just used a shed load of chemicals all over the car.

Nah, he re-applied the badges after polishing and before any wax/sealant so there wouldn't have been any polish residue left on the paint (if wiped down properly).

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think that is where your detailing brain doesn't exist. Practical yes. I imagine that you couldn't safely attach with magnets the same depth as with adhesive.

Its a different world from you grease monkey.

Thought obvious joke was obvious tbh.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

all chemicals will be removed prior to polishing. Any oils or polish residue will normally get an ipa wipedown at the end of all the correction. then badges would be re fitted

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh that makes sense now.

was under the impression he was applying them to a freshly polished surface

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Probably going to get flamed for even asking but...

What kind of money would be charged for a job like that? I genuinely have no idea!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you to everyone that's taken the time out to read the thread, as always your comments are much appreciated

I've tried to work it out & i've probably missed out a few but it was in excess of 75hrs. I don't write the hours down as i go & in most part they're rather unsavoury but i love what i do & take massive pride in my work. Hopefully this is conveyed in the end results :thumb:

From Nick himself. Oh and he's a former 172cup owner.

Late bump, just found this. Awesome Kev, thanks for sharing. The attention to detail on another level here.

You have to be a brave man to take sandpaper to a Maserati lol!