ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE: Again to the garage

All finished on the garage, so shortly back to working on the car now all the garage is straight. its so much easier to work in now and lots more space. It has hardly cost me anything too with free insulation and cheap plasterboard. The back wall is clad in pine bed slats and the shelving/worktop is made from the same pine bed frame. As for the car I will be un-covering it this week, and will probably try and get the engine on the engine stand to do the belts and switch the sumps.

A few pics of the finished article.
The garage BEFORE:
IMG_5509_zpsnyscw6ms.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_5573_zpsifxk1djl.jpg

And some details:
IMG_5574_zps2a55cnmu.jpg

IMG_5577_zpsro2rkurp.jpg

IMG_5572_zpstth2jd72.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Well photobuckets 3rd party hosting changes are going to kill this thread. $39.99 per month to post photo's, no thank you.

Luckily for photo's sake I haven't done any more work recently - more life changes, again these are leading me to consider whether to proceed of sell off.... still undecided but will need to make a choice very soon

imageshack!? corr that takes me back, had forgotten all about it! That's what I used back in the day when first on forums! But yes as mentioned above already, flickr is the new way forward

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Proper pain on Photobucket, but oh well.

I am after some ideas,
I am debating on giving in on my long term project and getting something that I can use daily but is also good fun to drive.

I have had my project for around 8-10 years but took it off the road approx 5-6 years ago to build it into a track/race car. Many house moves, and various other life changes have got in the way since and another one is around the corner and yet again I am debating getting rid. The car is already split but has a lot of nice parts to accompany it, so will be easy to sell all parts.

My wife and I will need a second car soon so if I do get rid I will want to make the second car a fun one. What are peoples suggestions, it doesn't have to be around this figure but I think I will have around £5-£8k to spend.

Whats peoples thoughts?

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
R32 Golf
197/200
Golf gti
R26 Megan's
Audi s3
Seat Leon k1
E46 M3
I could go on but depends on what you want it for?
We're considering selling both our ph1's and just getting one car we can both use! Don't know whether to sell her 320d aswell and just lease a new car or just get another fun car we can use instead of the bus. Bit tired of old cars now! I work on them everyday!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
R32 Golf
197/200
Golf gti
R26 Megan's
Audi s3
Seat Leon k1
E46 M3
I could go on but depends on what you want it for?
We're considering selling both our ph1's and just getting one car we can both use! Don't know whether to sell her 320d aswell and just lease a new car or just get another fun car we can use instead of the bus. Bit tired of old cars now! I work on them everyday!

To be honest none of those appeal. But a friend today has reminded me of the 1 series saloons which I quite like so I am going to look into those.
It needs to be fun and able to use it everyday - but thats the extent of my criteria.

We have a 318d we share currently but where we are moving to probably won't allow this to be the case anymore.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
You are having the same thoughts I had about my Clio with how much it will cost against what's it's worth. The maths won in my case and I sold it.

Are you able to finish it to a road car standard? That might make it worth a bit more plus it will be a hoot to drive like what you are after.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
You are having the same thoughts I had about my Clio with how much it will cost against what's it's worth. The maths won in my case and I sold it.

This has happened a few times during this build, it even kind of started the same way if you go back to the start of this thread

This time around I was pretty close to getting rid, a couple of friends have recently sold/are selling what i thought was their pride and joys and thats what initally got me thinking, then the potential of moving house again - having to move the project again and potentially having to stall thw build rally got me thinking can i be assed. But maybe those are not really the right reasons, I was pre-empting a situation that i wasn't sure was going to happen, and shouldn't base my decision on what others were doing.

I then started to think of anything if there was anytjing I was keen to replace it with. There was basically no point in buying another track car - not after all the time/effort/emotion I have put into the phase 1... So what about aomething more practical? A 1 series BMW maybe, that was the only thing really that kind of got me interested but as has been mentioned above thats about 9K for a half decent spec, and I am not really sure I want to be chucking that around a track either.

Since posting the initial post the situation has changed a little again and i now have a contract up until 2018, so that gives me some time and decent money - it is also only 10mins walk away so the need for a second car is negated.

As per all the other times I have gone through this thought process i think it comes after a lull in the build, the thought of it just sitting there not getting done plays on my mind and its just a spiral. But once the decision has been made to keep it I have a rejuvinated enthusiasm.

I have now had a good chat with my neighbour an ali fabricator about the cage and this has now been ordered... I am now on a real push forward with hopefully some big visual changes happening soon - that should help the enthusiasm.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Glad your getting on with it!

I'm at the same stage Haven't really done anything with my car in two years. But it is complete and drivable. Just needs an mot! It's at work at the moment so if I drive it again I may change my mind! Need to get around to doing a track day.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
So the cage has been ordered, a 6-point weld in Oreca/Sassa item.
I have also got some new inner rear arches on the way as my current ones aren't ideal.

excited to start mocking up the cage and interior.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
It really feels like I am on the verge of really getting back into moving forward with the build as the cage has now turned up and I can start looking forward to the fabrication stage. Over the past few days I have been reading @Tomotek's build thread, not only does that make my thread feel less than ideal (a bit of a mess) but it has also made me consider a lot of things with regards to the clio build that I perhaps hadn't thought of previously... I think I will be using his thread and a fair few others to reference from this point moving forward.

With the cage turning up I was keen to check all the items were in the packaging as the seller was less than ideal with their communication. I removed all the items and very quickly laid them out/mocked them up to see. All items were there luckily.

The cage is a Sassa/oreca 6-point with added dash and harness bars - I am wondering if it will be beneficial to triangulate to the rear beam mounts, and instead of going to the rear arch I should go to the rear shock mounts - However it will be my neighbour doing the welding so I am conscious of all the extra fab work that will be needed - and whether I will actually notice a difference. Something to consider. For now though see some poor mock up pictures (tape and zip ties are alright yeah)?

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

PS. nice work admin on the photof*ckit issue. This is a much easier way to upload and place images.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If you're going coilover rear I'd triangulate to the rear strut tops and the beam mounts. The extra weight in the rear end will do it more good than you realise. Ask James about his corner weighting. Assuming he can remember. Lol!

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
@ph-reebone I have that cage and I altered mine to go to the rear strut tops with a bar joining both struts and also triangulated through to the front strut towers. I'll be adding further triangulation to the rear beam mounts over winter

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
If you're going coilover rear I'd triangulate to the rear strut tops and the beam mounts. The extra weight in the rear end will do it more good than you realise. Ask James about his corner weighting. Assuming he can remember. Lol!

@ph-reebone I have that cage and I altered mine to go to the rear strut tops with a bar joining both struts and also triangulated through to the front strut towers. I'll be adding further triangulation to the rear beam mounts over winter

View attachment 1235294
View attachment 1235295
View attachment 1235296

I am now looking into doing this and looking at the base way to do this without being able to weld/fabricate myself.
@scotiamr2t do you have a project thread? would be interesting to see what you did.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Cutting the pipes is easy enough. Cut them a little longer, and use a tube notcher (about £80 on ebay) plus a cutter. Which would make it a lot easier but I wouldn't recommend welding it in yourself if you haven't before that is.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253032885862
Once your done sell it on.
Just use seamless tube.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Cutting the pipes is easy enough. Cut them a little longer, and use a tube notcher (about £80 on ebay) plus a cutter. Which would make it a lot easier but I wouldn't recommend welding it in yourself if you haven't before that is.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253032885862
Once your done sell it on. Just use seamless tube.

Thanks for that link, looks well handy. There is a local fabricator I can probably source the tubing from, will just need to look at assembling the turret parts and the plating/spacers for the rear beam mounts.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought a megane set up for mine!
If you need any help/advice, message me.

Megane set-up? not sure I am aware of that, sounds interesting.

TBH I have to deliberations about the cage
1. Am I actually going to notice the difference if I triangulate to the turrets, and then secondly the beam mounts.... I am no "insert pro driver name here"
2. Rather than welding this with my neighbour (an billet ally engineer with lots of motorsport experience) am I just better off sucking the extra £££ up and paying for it to be fabricated elsewhere.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
You will notice the difference if you alter the cage to the strut tops, also it is alot of faffing about fitting a cage but i found it very rewarding doing it all myself. If your neighbour is happy to help/weld it in for you i would 100% do it yourself

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/megane-225-full-engine-conversion.812313/
In all Honesty you probably won't but If you change your mind in the future? It'll stiffen up the shell, but I Don't know how much flex there is in a clio.
If it was me I'd tie it into the a and b pillars, have harness bars or put a brace inbetween the rear turrets, (you might be able to combine). maybe take the diagonals to the turrets also.

Ah, you meant engine conversion. That will be interesting. must have a look at that (the link doesn't work though).

You will notice the difference if you alter the cage to the strut tops, also it is alot of faffing about fitting a cage but i found it very rewarding doing it all myself. If your neighbour is happy to help/weld it in for you i would 100% do it yourself

Interesting that you advise doing it yourself. I have made sure my neighbour is very much on-board as didn't want it to be a hassle and it to be a pain to try and build it.
I will have a good look into the strut mountings. I just really want to get moving on it.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Ah, you meant engine conversion. That will be interesting. must have a look at that (the link doesn't work though).
Yes mate, going for a std looking car with some boost. But that might change yet?
Strange, the link works for me?
Cutting the tube is relatively easy can be time consuming if you do it without the tool, but do able.
It's better off doing it now rather than having to do it later when things are nicely painted.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
So after getting the original cage from Sassa/Oreca I have decided how I am going to alter it.

Unlike what I have mentioned above I have decided against triangulating to the rear beam mounts. I have spoken to several people who have made interesting points that although you may strengthen this area the actual rear beam bracket itself could/will flex, and then there is also possible play in bearings etc... you will never remove all play, and it may even be more a hinderance as you are just putting stress through a different point - the other choice for this cage was to give safety but not go OTT on weight.

I am however going to triangulate to the backstays to the rear suspension turrets and then also brace between them, I will need to order some more 3x 40x2 CDS for this and also some for the suspension turret tubes themselves - and this is where the issue lies. I can't believe how difficult this is to find. The inside diameter of this tube will need to be +50mm to fit over the current suspension mount point, meaning the tubing will probably need to be 57.15x2.03 however this comes out at a mental amount (£70 for 400mm..ha). I WILL find some somewhere, or alternatively I will have to get something machined up... either way I am very keen to get this moving.

On another note - anybody who has plated to the A and B pillars. Have you found this easier to buy these or make them yourselves?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
For the rear turret tubes/cups get them from custom cages. I was less far less than £70 for them delivered. They are a standard part used on the custom cages clubman cage etc