ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The "Ive taken a pic and I kinda like it" thread

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
21502044552_b7c6d615e1_b.jpg
Neist Point - Isle of Sky Scotland by Mark Geddes, on Flickr

Pretty much all of my shots aren't taken at the right time of day. I would of liked to stay at the points around S rise and S set but too far to travel from place to place.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I took a few shots at the memorial, had to hold my tripod at all times so it didn't blew away. I think the mountains i took was the ones to your left. I had to get rid of a pylon in my image.
I'm not 100% happy with my images, didn't have time to wait for the right conditions. Was rushing about all the time and rushing shots.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I took a few shots at the memorial, had to hold my tripod at all times so it didn't blew away. I think the mountains i took was the ones to your left. I had to get rid of a pylon in my image.
I'm not 100% happy with my images, didn't have time to wait for the right conditions. Was rushing about all the time and rushing shots.

Yours are good, i like them anyway. I was just walking around snapping without a tripod as I was on my honeymoon.

Clio 1.2 16v
I only found out the other day why there was a hook under my tripod lol hung my camera bag on it and kept it much steadier! I'm heading up to your neck of the woods next week Filey and Scarborough can't wait to get some cliffside shots

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
21574773571_4d6581817e_b.jpg
The Quiraing South Sunset - Isle of Skye Scotland. by Mark Geddes, on Flickr
21377926840_4cfb94af41_c.jpg
Neist Lighthouse - Isle of Skye. by Mark Geddes, on Flickr
21379501359_a114038798_b.jpg
Isle of Skye Bridge - Scotland. by Mark Geddes, on Flickr
21378555468_ed3c65e060_b.jpg
Isle of Skye Bridge Scotland. by Mark Geddes, on Flickr
Almost done with my pics, got way more but snap shots really. The B&W of the bridge there's a boat passing by would of liked bit less ghosting on it.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Thanks, i couldn't get rid of the halo ish effect on the hills. I know you can get rid of it on Lightroom, there's a button just for that iirc.

They was an even better sunset than this day or two after. My mate just drove and i didn't get a chance to stop and take pics :( lots of good shots missed out. Next time go on my own

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I popped in the local photography shop and i get on ok ish with the people in there even though been in just a hand full of times. I showed them some pics of my memory stick. He says a few of them are nothing special and some of them aren't sharp enough front to back. I agree some weren't that sharp.

Say for eg the castle b&w picture above. for that one i put the Centre Spot Focus on the castle itself rather than putting the focus on the bottom 3rd as there is nothing much apart from dirt. Am i right in saying this?

The sunset one i put the focus dot on the white small building am i right on this too rather than on the bottom 3rd or the mountains in the back?

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I popped in the local photography shop and i get on ok ish with the people in there even though been in just a hand full of times. I showed them some pics of my memory stick. He says a few of them are nothing special and some of them aren't sharp enough front to back. I agree some weren't that sharp.

Say for eg the castle b&w picture above. for that one i put the Centre Spot Focus on the castle itself rather than putting the focus on the bottom 3rd as there is nothing much apart from dirt. Am i right in saying this?

The sunset one i put the focus dot on the white small building am i right on this too rather than on the bottom 3rd or the mountains in the back?

Hi mate,

It may just be me reading into your posts too much but the best piece of advice that I had when I started off was "shoot for yourself" - you have to remember that the "guy" in the shop may have his own way of taking photos - IMO a photo can never be 100% perfect.

I love that sunset one though, the mountains almost look "3D".

Cheers
Simon

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
21736838741_b1669b1e67_c.jpg
To The Horizon - Easington Beach by Mark Geddes, on Flickr

Had a little trip with my new replacement filters last night to Easington Beach. Went to a bit where i never been before loads of rocks and struggled to stand and got near dark but the sky was really canny really nice colour. Need some grad filters for the sky some of my pics were a bit bright in the sky and thought i could bring it back in the highlights but still a bit bright :( in the future when i get more money. Just got some SRB filters again as it's in my budget.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
No bad at all, 12 shots that's the most i've seen so far on the web. Did you just leave the camera in the same place?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
No bad at all, 12 shots that's the most i've seen so far on the web. Did you just leave the camera in the same place?
I was in the back garden for it all. I had to move the camera as the moon was going out of shot very quick.
It's going to be a pain to make my time lose out of it. Must have taken 5000 shots in total I think over 4 hours!!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I was in the back garden for it all. I had to move the camera as the moon was going out of shot very quick.
It's going to be a pain to make my time lose out of it. Must have taken 5000 shots in total I think over 4 hours!!
fucken hell 5000, been at the moon shots 3 times now and majority of the shots are out of focus on the Bloodmoon ones. Once i've zoomed in it looses the detail. There's one or 2 are in detail but there a bit dark as i didn't do a longer exposure.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
fucken hell 5000, been at the moon shots 3 times now and majority of the shots are out of focus on the Bloodmoon ones. Once i've zoomed in it looses the detail. There's one or 2 are in detail but there a bit dark as i didn't do a longer exposure.

Manual focus is the key I find.

Do you have live view on your camera? I put it in LV and zoom in x10 so I can see the moon detail clearly, then turn the lens focus until it looks sharp.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah i totally forgot to put it in Live View, i do normally use it but it was late lol. I did realise when i was back in bed about the live view but didn't get back out to take more shots. I suppose i know for next time i do some more moon shots.

Thanks anyway for the reminder

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How can you tell from that? I've got CS6 but not the patience to learn how to use it haha. I love Snapseed

Exif info shows the editing software.

It's a really good app for phones/tablets. I've not tried the software for the PC though.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Had pop down to Low Force Waterfall for the first time yesterday. Took a feir few good shots but it was poor light sun was out all day. Loads of different angles to be had there. Be defo going when there's more cloud or sunset shot. It's an hour drive to get there too.
21673993629_78c7c3e8a2_b.jpg
Low Force - Middleton in Teesdale. by Mark Geddes, on Flickr
21673994939_10370e9c6d_c.jpg
Low Force - Teesdale. by Mark Geddes, on Flickr