ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Lunar Grey Mk1 Hybrid Project

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Paint arrived today, WOOP 727

Started tacking cage in today will be finished Monday

Apologies for shite pics
99156976.jpg

e18f86e1.jpg

Rear of the cage has been attached to chassis rails

b8ee000e.jpg

Had the front of cage welded to struts these are to be welded and capped yet

c5857cb7.jpg

55478172.jpg

Small error... Lads had tacked the uprights the wrong side of the car lol easily sorted ....don't think I'd like to keep it like this lol

6ef848ad.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just add one the other side as well, passenger is just as important as the driver when its going to have 2 seats, different story when there is only a driver.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Well hopefully she will be completed Monday, and had an interesting phone all saying g that the bodyshop that originally sprayed my car, the painter still works there...so might take car back there for interior paint,, however now the nightmare is sombody has nicked our Nissan Navara 4x4..b******s

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That is just EPIC mate, really really awesome job I reckon.

TBH its complete overkill for anything I can imagine you doing with the car (unless you are entering the WRC? lol) but who cares when it looks that good!

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
cheers lads, yes its COMPLETE overkill, but i don't like doing things by halves pmsl.. who knows a mk1 WRC car?...think its long overdue personally! ROFL

The cage is a custom cages cage and i know a very similar spec cage was fitted to icemans endurance 182 and he said he paid £3250? for supply fit and paint...

The cage is an 8 point ( i think) it has been welded to the front struts(2) and drivers foot well (2) rear of the foot well (2) and then sunk through the boot floor to the chassis rails ((2)....8points?)) which were also strengthened in the process. The uprights have also been slotted through the Door X to give me a bit more room.

Silent_scone i bought the cage for £450, got it fitted for about the same (£500 i wanted a few bits doing) and the lads that did it are local so cost me £20 to trailer it. (including rental of trailer) Still i think you will agree a hell of a lot less than £3250

Due to me duffing my hand up at work with a circular saw im still off work so this is probably going to be the last update for a while, well i might rattle can the interior to get an idea of what the colour is gonna look like.

Chip Cheers dude,the plan originlly was to get her ready for Comb action day as a shakedown for FCS, but like i said now ive fitted this im seriously low on cash, due to being off work, to get her ready in time, i doubt she will even be ready for fcs tbh!!

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Yup, just less than 1k........ £970 all in, including delivery of car lol

RBS are the boys, they had on previously done things for banger racing in the past! But these guys know how to weld and that is what i wanted.. good welds.. good penetration into the cage, i dont want it going anywhere!

So im assuming i can use the rear part of the cage as a harness bar.. as it dossnt look like the cross in the front hoop is in the way.

the dash is the next problem with that main bulkhead bar... its unlikly thats going to fit.

of course i would love somthing like they have on the cup cars.. but i think that is definatly out of my price range.
URL]

or even
107.jpg

Attachments

• 2007-renault-clio-sport-cup-racer-interior.jpg
    2007-renault-clio-sport-cup-racer-interior.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 132
  Arctic Blue FF 182
Fantastic project! Cage is awesome! Out of interest though, on the bottom of the hoop on the B-pillar, where the hoop welds to the plate on the floor, is it welded all the way around?

Arctic Blue FF 182
yes i believe it is, plates were fitted before the cage.
Sorry, I meant the hoop tube welded all the way around onto the plate.
What your plans for the car? Track days only or some racing? (Apologies if you have already said and I'v missed it!)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
James yes it is said they swore alot doing it! Obviously some areas are harder to do so haven't been done as best they can, cage is only for track days, as I stated totally over the top but at the price I really can't complain lol

Chip cheers dude thought they were slightly too close to the front hoop X but actually they seem to be ok? Any suggestions about dash?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What do you mean about suggestions on a dash?

I think I must have missed the main body of that discussion?

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
See post 180 page 9

With the bulkhead bar being there it's going to make refutment of original dash awkward...any ideas?

Arctic Blue FF 182
See post 180 page 9

With the bulkhead bar being there it's going to make refutment of original dash awkward...any ideas?

Out of interest where did you get the cage from at that ridiculously good price?

Can you trip the dash to fit around the bulkhead bar, and then weld tabs onto the cage at the end to mount the dash?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
See post 180 page 9

942b74e9.jpg

What use is the car going to have?
If only going to be a circuit car and not really a road car anymore, no real need to have a dash as such, just make up some brackets for the display screen (dash2 iirc?) and dont bother with the rest is one option.

Or you could try cutting and shutting a later dash into it, like I have in mine (andyrg did the fitting before I bought the shell), as if you are going to be cutting it up anyway why go to that trouble just for a hideous mk1 dash?
DSC_0725.jpg

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Was gonna go dash2 when I go vag, cars been off road ages now just gonna try get her on the road again first

Mostly a track car I would think now, sod a cage like that on a daily Pmsl
id just like a dash to neaten things up

That mk2 dash looks much better than I thought iit would!
does yours have a bulkhead bar?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mine doesnt have a dash bar, but it looks like it might well clear your one anyway TBH

Nothing stopping you going dash2 now, or even for the emerald now as well on your current engine (although would need a meggy flywheel as it cant handle renix)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
yeah think I will do that route but it's all expense another £1400 and I need windows yet lol

Might try poverty spec dash top see how that works

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If doing the dash top, phase 1 mk2 dashtop would go in pretty easy I reckon, and you could easily make some brackets to go onto the dashbar to mount it off too.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Ok little update not huge,

Got cracking on sanding the interior and cage then a wipe down with thinners. Then primer to stop it rusting:)

f86d96cd.jpg

013720b0.jpg

48048ccd.jpg

237bf3c9.jpg

af56302e.jpg

212a697f.jpg

5afddb19.jpg

4d14472a.jpg

3e72729f.jpg

5f5d6a1e.jpg

275255ec.jpg