ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Porsche Boxster...

This car looks fantastic, no doubt drives superbly (driven the latest incarnation S and was very impressed), but I just couldn't bring myself to own one.

Call me a snob, but since the Boxster very first emerged, as a very much lesser car than today, I could never live with the image of owning one, and that wont change.

If you judge it by its image (odd given you own a 6 series) then more fool you for denying yourself the pleasure of driving one.

hating boxster haters. It's about the driving experience, if you've forgotten that then buy a Chelsea tractor.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
CS group ownership? I get it weekends (because im admin) and you lot can have it during the week.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You can see how Porsche have used elements from the 918 for a new family look. I guess a bit like the facelift SLK being a bit like the SLS...but much better executed in this case.

View attachment 69591

I know someone who has one on offer. They just offered him the 997 special edition thing a while back. I think he was going to take it for his wife.

The Boxster looks simply fantastic.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
If you judge it by its image (odd given you own a 6 series) then more fool you for denying yourself the pleasure of driving one.

For £50k+ yes I'm going to think about the image of myself and the car, therefore I wouldn't own one. Luckily for me I have a choice and there are plenty of great drivers cars out there I would own, meaning I will more than likely end up in a GT3.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
For £50k+ yes I'm going to think about the image of myself and the car, therefore I wouldn't own one. Luckily for me I have a choice and there are plenty of great drivers cars out there I would own, meaning I will more than likely end up in a GT3.

Thankfully I've never let vanity get in the way of owning a good car.

If its good, its good. Who gives a f**k what people think.

It's a shame people concern themselves with what other people may think about the car they own. Irrespective of the cost I couldn't personally give a s**t what anyone has to say about a car I own or any I'll buy in the future. If it ticks the boxes I need it to then why should I frankly? I certainly wouldnt rule out a superb car for fear of any cretins who may hold the opinion that "it's a girls car" or "they can't afford a 911".

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its only got a bad image with people that haven't driven one or own/ed 911's

Everyone else loves and respects them.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
A bad image? Really?

I never thought that. I just thought they were a posers convertible until I drove a couple.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Its only got a bad image with people that haven't driven one or own/ed 911's

Everyone else loves and respects them.

Strongly disagree. I know plenty of people who are in the same boat as me, all with the resources to own one if they so wished. I've driven pretty much every flavour of Porsche and already admitted the Boxster is a great drive. When parting with my hard earned, a car has to tick more boxes than just 'drives great'.

I'm not trying to take anything away from this car, it is very very good, I just wouldn't buy one.

Out of interest as you place such a high value on image what would you say general publics perception of a 6 series owner is?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Did you mean in a poser way? Bad image?

Hairdressers car?

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Out of interest as you place such a high value on image what would you say general publics perception of a 6 series owner is?

I don't have the time or patiance to argue, so we'll agree to disagree. I'm also not going to bite on the 6 series comments. The M6 is a completely different car to a 630 and I have my reasons for owning one.

You know that, I know that, however the average knobber in the street does not. Seeing as you're motivated to avoid one car based on uneducated public perception I find it odd that you'll dismiss the same perception when your car is put under scrutiny.

Trophy #490
Cayman > all for driving.

Pound for pound, I agree with that. I've driven a Cayman R at length and it was about as perfect as it gets; its handling was sublime. I've driven a Boxster S, Boxster Spyder, 911 GT3 (996 and 997.1), GT3 RS (997.1) and the GT2 RS but the Cayman R still manages to be memorable even when compared to those.

That first photo of the new Boxster is gorgeous, and you just know it's going to be brilliant to drive.

White clique
That looks fantastic, especially the silver one Tom posted with the red interior. The interior looks nice, but not amazing, the old one was very boring and plasticy, felt a bit lame.

I cannot wait to see the Cayman too, and agreed on earlier comments that the cayman does feel amazing to drive, its a very special car! Not driven a Boxster but i imagine its the same.

^ EDIT - i was considering getting a boxster spyder until i realised it was a stupid idea, but dont these have 10bhp more than the Cayman S and are much lighter? I am surprised they dont feel as good as a Cayman R?

Trophy #490
That looks fantastic, especially the silver one Tom posted with the red interior. The interior looks nice, but not amazing, the old one was very boring and plasticy, felt a bit lame.

I cannot wait to see the Cayman too, and agreed on earlier comments that the cayman does feel amazing to drive, its a very special car! Not driven a Boxster but i imagine its the same.

^ EDIT - i was considering getting a boxster spyder until i realised it was a stupid idea, but dont these have 10bhp more than the Cayman S and are much lighter? I am surprised they dont feel as good as a Cayman R?

If it was purely a dry weather car, there's a good argument that the Boxster Spyder's even more special to drive than a Cayman R. Day-to-day though, its roof compromises it in my opinion. The double-bubble effect on the rear does look brilliant though, but then again the new Boxster's even better looking than the Spyder!

http://joshtimlin.blogspot.com/2011/07/porsche-boxster-s-vs-porsche-boxster.html
[URL]http://joshtimlin.blogspot.com/2011/12/porsche-cayman-r.html
[/URL]