ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new tool thread

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Replaced the casters on my Sealey jack. £15 each for new caster units, not terrible

Old ones were fucked after my drive has attacked them for the past 2 years. The PU would often come off and then jam it solid

20221105_095703.jpg

The amount of grease supplied is abysmal, no wonder they just stopped swivelling. I added grease to the left side which is what I'd expect, the right hand one is what Sealey think an acceptable amount of grease is🤣

20221105_095052.jpg

The bearings that come with them seem to be 1 short, so I took one of the balls from the other ones and added it to this set. Seems weird to have space for another ball but not put one in🤔

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
@Tory-ing_Rob Delicious tolerances... Converting the bridgeport to bt30 pneumatic pull stud! 30 taper spindle arriving this week hopefully then fingers crossed theres enough material to be able to remove some to fit the 4 petal clamp, Im confident though.

I have a granite surface table coming, Ill use this setup with a digital height gauge to get my z axis zero using a haimer 3d probe, measure the difference in height between the tooling and the probe and program the tooling into the dro bank. Each tool will be within 0.01mm for z axis and x&y hopefully not far off, runout dependent. I have some 0.003mm runout hydraulic chucks to order as I really want to aim to have 0.01 max at the tool, this is more so for the column spline cutting. I could get away with more, but I dont see why the setup cant be that accurate, If I have to re grind the spindle taper I will. I feel its all good practice for when I get the cnc mill and Ill have a bunch of tooling already if I am fortunate enough to get a syil x7 or xyz 2op.

I may have the opportunity to purchase a second hand snap-on bearing puller set.

However it’s rather large, very similar to this.

DCC6A3D0-F08F-42F5-A92C-B6BA6200067A.jpeg

The pullers are no doubt OTT for motor vehicles and more suited to heavy goods vehicles or agricultural stuff etc.

Would probably end up being a decorative piece though as I have a few small puller sets that I rarely use as it is!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Upside is most of the kit will remain un-used, so when you do come to shift it on you'll probably get a decent price for it.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
My dad has that one for his Jag (which has no sump plug 😐) and its perfect.

The old A-series Merc's didn't have them either IIRC.

Alot of VAG's with paper oil filters benefit from this type of oil change as you can properly get the oil out the filter housing with it. Otherwise it's just left.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Sealey 6.5ltr oil suction pump works great, used it for years on all of mine. Gets as much oil out as removing the sump plug in most cases. Fast on a hot engine, but if you have oil like treacle on a cold engine, you best get a cup of tea and sit back a bit lol.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If anybody thinks that removing the sump plug gets more oil out, this f4r sump for example will always leave the dregs in, prob get more out with the suction pump. Most sumps ive take off have the raised/thicker area for the thread around the plug.
20221012_151213.jpg

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Newest addition to the garage. I wanted a new saw and things just escalated. Sealey SM354CE.

Had a look at a few makes and models but settled on this one, I like sealey as an importer as they stock all the spare parts so any repairs or replacements are fairly straightforward. I also don't really need to be able to cut anything over 200mm wide as I have access to a bigger machine at work.

Absolute b*****d to get off the pickup on my own and put together. Done a couple of test cuts and it seems great so far.

Now to park it up until the garage is tidy and rearranged.

IMG-20221221-WA0009.jpeg

PXL_20221221_164947501.jpg

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
My chinese 1/2" impact gun final battery has now died, so time to get something reliable.

Any recommendations for the most versatile impact gun for DIY garage mechanics (mostly Caterham). I was thinking M18 Fuel spec but even then, there seems to be quite a few variations.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Aye those are decent

Or you could get a big c**t gun and the 3/8 stubby then have your power tool fantasy spiral out of control and before you know if you've got a Milwaukee chainsaw and you're about to buy a Milwaukee leafblower to gather up all the chippings you make with the chainsaw

You know what just get the one James linked

View attachment 1624814

We've forgot to welcome him to Team Red 😂

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Ow hi Team Red 👋

View attachment 1625361

Have managed to hold off for a long time but now I've got the batteries I might as well get the stubby impact, ratchet and heated jacket 😂.
Oh I do like the heated jacket but I got myself the heated zip hoody years back. I couldn’t even guess where it is but it still works well..

The jackets need to be tight to get the best out of them.

Reactions: MLB

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I have the milwaukee m12 heated zip up hoodie, bought it a few years ago its been great, hardwearing too still looks good. Only downside is battery location as it digs into your side if you get in the car with it on.

Reactions: MLB