ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new tool thread

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Well zippy hood it is then!

On a more serious note, my SGS trolley jack has started leaking oil.

It's four years old and reading up on it it's already served me about 3.5 years longer than they do most people.

Would need to be a lightweight, low profile, 2.5t one, I have to carry it in and out of the garage and bring it to trackdays (and I'm just a lightweight myself).

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Arcan alloy jack from costco @£70 were awesome but don't seem to be available anymore,

So I'd go with the Halfords advanced, the alloy are obviously lighter but the steel ones look like an old weber jack design which are top quality if they are.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I’ve bought a get less dead from struts compressor.

A39ABE3A-50BB-45CF-BFE8-2526D91A44F7.jpeg

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I have the milwaukee m12 heated zip up hoodie, bought it a few years ago its been great, hardwearing too still looks good. Only downside is battery location as it digs into your side if you get in the car with it on.

Same, I have seen they do a T-shirt type one now with a smaller battery that I’m tempted to get instead.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Get the protective rubber boot for it, but then it won't fit in the case without trimming the plastic insert a bit.

It's then an excuse to get a Packout case and shadow foam insert 😂

I'll definitely have a look for those. Used it today and it's lovely on the auto tighten/loosen setting. Much nicer than my Chinese special one.
PXL_20221230_181734080.jpg

So decided to buy the M12 fuel ratchet and batteries too 🙈.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Got to take the diff out the Caterham soon for some upgrades. So it will be a nice addition for that and removing prop bolts. Just have to remember not to over tighten smaller bolts with it.
I don't especially like doing bolts up with it for that reason. Its powerful enough to nosh smaller bolts, and bigger bolts it can be a bit snappy - if your hand is in a silly place the ratchet can spin round and ram your hand into some rusty jagged aids metal so you end up going quite slowly.

Wish it had the same function as the impact where it stopped as soon as something was just nipped up - perhaps the newer ones do.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I don't especially like doing bolts up with it for that reason. Its powerful enough to nosh smaller bolts, and bigger bolts it can be a bit snappy - if your hand is in a silly place the ratchet can spin round and ram your hand into some rusty jagged aids metal so you end up going quite slowly.

Wish it had the same function as the impact where it stopped as soon as something was just nipped up - perhaps the newer ones do.

Worth knowing! Don't think they've added that feature, they just have the high speed one now (450rpm) which subsequently drops the torque from around 70nm to 45nm

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Worth knowing! Don't think they've added that feature, they just have the high speed one now (450rpm) which subsequently drops the torque from around 70nm to 45nm
While I can see the advantage of the faster ones I like the slow one I have as it will remove rusty bolts - the ones that are tight all the way until they are fully out. I was worried the fast one wouldn't be able to do that.

I'm also tempted to buy their right angled M12 impact but worried I'm becoming a Milwaukee bum boy so haven't bought it yet.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently the right angle impact isn't very good as it doesn't output what the specs actually say. It's what's put me off getting it
I used one recently and your right - nothing on the M12 gun. I still found it very handy though - would undo tighter things than the ratchet and didn't grab when doing bolts up.

I wouldn't have it over the impact gun but will probably get one to use as a ratchet.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I don’t really see the point in them personally, there pretty large for getting in tight spaces and they don’t have much power.

I just crack the bolts off with a manual ratchet then wind them out with m12.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t really see the point in them personally, there pretty large for getting in tight spaces and they don’t have much power.

I just crack the bolts off with a manual ratchet then wind them out with m12.
Oddly it was very handy in a tight space where you could barely get a few clicks on a ratchet. This went right up there and did its ugger dugger thing (y) They aren't than much bigger than the M12 ratchet either really, just the head.

Not essential if you have the gun - its on my list of things to buy but want an angle grinder and their new polisher first.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Anyone fancy this kit? I don’t need it as got the M18 after, been used about 3 times!
M12 3/8.

5BD5BA11-785A-43E2-9DA5-DE617A977FCF.jpeg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone ever heard of or used a tite reach wrench extender?

Worth the money?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Seen them demoed at PRI and Sema, or at least they were similar design.

Not cheap are they! £140.

Do look handy for tight access jobs, but not sure how much torque you could generate through one.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Read mixed reviews, cheaper ones obviously break quickly but also read people have put multiple ugga duggas through them without breaking them.

They do look like they could have saved me a lot of swearing for a couple of jobs. Might get a cheaper one and see if they're actually useful.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Just been reading the comments about the milwaukee m12 ratchets. I have the fuel long reach one and it struggles to crack off most bolts, so i end up cracking off then unwinding using it. Wonder if its fucked or am i expecting too much from it.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just been reading the comments about the milwaukee m12 ratchets. I have the fuel long reach one and it struggles to crack off most bolts, so i end up cracking off then unwinding using it. Wonder if its fucked or am i expecting too much from it.
You might have the fast version which is lower torque. I don't find mine is that great at cracking. I think they are supposed to be used like a normal ratchet where you crack the bolt then use the tool for the rest. Tbh that is where most of the time is.

While the RA impact can probably do it all for most normal car stuff however they are bigger.

If I have space I will normally grab the M12 impact before the ratchet for the reason you gave.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Arcan alloy jack from costco @£70 were awesome but don't seem to be available anymore,

So I'd go with the Halfords advanced, the alloy are obviously lighter but the steel ones look like an old weber jack design which are top quality if they are.

Sorted, 2t aluminium Halfords advanced one.

6kg lighter and a lot smoother than the SGS unit👍

20230103_151043.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Recently purchased a hyundai chainsaw with 20" bar, but this still isn't big enough for some of the trees I cut. So been looking for a bigger bar setup.

Managed to find a bar and chain which is the right gage and pitch which is 24",£40 posted.
As expected the bar wasn't the right size so needed kidding to fit.

ETPf4K.jpg

85DAwK.jpg

Mine has m8 bolts that holds the bar on, the new bar is 10mm, so made some spacers. 8mm hole with 10 outside diameter.

The hole for the tensioner on the new bar was slightly different so had to grind that slightly wider.

The oiler hole is also different so had to grind that longer. Although the chain is getting oil not as perfect as a proper fitting bar.

But it's all working and looks a beast, hopefully I'll cut something with it this weekend.

OtqDkH.jpg

Megane 250
Looking at buying this, but also need an impact gun. This comes with 2 4ah M18 batteries.

What M18 impact wrench would be best for wheels/general working on car?

Assuming I can buy just the tool without battery and use the batteries from this kit?

969e63c1cdd701f9ef14eff1f3a097ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at buying this, but also need an impact gun. This comes with 2 4ah M18 batteries.

What M18 impact wrench would be best for wheels/general working on car?

Assuming I can buy just the tool without battery and use the batteries from this kit?

View attachment 1626695

Don't get that kit, it's old non Fuel shite.

Probably 10 years old that kit 😂

Have a look on PowertoolMate.

Megane 250
Don't get that kit, it's old non Fuel shite.

Probably 10 years old that kit [emoji23]

Have a look on PowertoolMate.

93f1ca67942bc893a91f8bf4e573e942.jpg

Is this the better one? But cheaper on eBay from powertoolmate but ideally I need a drill tomorrow….