ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new tool thread

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing as we have a wide range of clever people here I thought I’d ask for help. I have some threaded bar that is M8 that I need to quickly cut down. They’re 130mm and need to be 105mm so I need to chop 25mm off of the end.

Ideally I need to be able to achieve one cut in 4-5 seconds max to make it worth it.

Any suggestions.

Thought I’d solved it with a Milwaukee thread cutter but apparently the dies run out after 1000 cuts and need replacing. I’m just trying to save the thread going into scrap really!
milchs355_800x.jpg

There you go. You can set a stop block on one end and chop away to your hearts content

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The mitre saw I tried and it struggles to hold it still. Even tried it with a big cutting blade in it like an angle grinder one.

I’m thinking of trying to make a tool to go on a mechanical press to literally shear the end off.

There’s 190000 of them to cut 🫣
I'm too intrigued now. What is it for?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
190,000 rods are the wrong length? Sounds like someone put an order in wrong?

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Nah they’re from an old job that dried up. We make them into kits that go u set the bath, the m8 legs that normally go in the middle of the bath. They’re to long to use tho but if I can cut them down to 105mm I can use them.

I normally import them from China 27t at a time in a container, they cost around 3.7 pence.

If someone can cut them in day 6 seconds that works out at 600 / hour. If they’re on say £12 per hour that works out roughly 2.3 pence each saving 1.4p per item.

But it also frees up space in the containers for other stuff which is great!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Can you make a little jig, flat or cylinder shape, drop a load in, slide to one end, cut a bunch at the same time to reduce handling.

If you could load 12+ and cut you’re winning…

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Nah they’re from an old job that dried up. We make them into kits that go u set the bath, the m8 legs that normally go in the middle of the bath. They’re to long to use tho but if I can cut them down to 105mm I can use them.

I normally import them from China 27t at a time in a container, they cost around 3.7 pence.

If someone can cut them in day 6 seconds that works out at 600 / hour. If they’re on say £12 per hour that works out roughly 2.3 pence each saving 1.4p per item.

But it also frees up space in the containers for other stuff which is great!
That's mad. Any pics of them? I want to see what 190k threaded bars look like. It must look absolutely mental all together in a container 😂

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Been watching youtube videos, think im going to try and make a small crop tool for the small press.

Busy for the next 2 weeks as I'm making a start with our 5s and doing a full factory shift around.

There's like 11 pallets of these in the racking, I believe its about 8 tonne worth.

We use about 150 tonnes of threaded bar, nuts and screws a year for under the baths! Ill try get a few pics but its quite boring haha.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
As some know I misplaced my milwaukee tape measure so ended up buying a new one but needed (yes absolutely needed) to make the over £55 for free delivery on powertoolmate

Flask will be great for when I'm working in the garage at work. View attachment 1660130
Your drink will be 30% hotter for longer, the hammer will hit 20% harder and the take will measure 15% more per measurement.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
1694935566864.png

A small birthday treat to myself, nice to use, can get an export report of all the torque values, the rundown impact feature is quite handy but personally it feels a bit gimmicky.
feel like i should have invested in some Gedore or Norbar to cover the same range

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1661158

A small birthday treat to myself, nice to use, can get an export report of all the torque values, the rundown impact feature is quite handy but personally it feels a bit gimmicky.
feel like i should have invested in some Gedore or Norbar to cover the same range

If only they did torque angle as well, they'd be a great option then for mechanics.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe an angle grinder stand thing would work well enough for you?
I bought one of these in the end, had a load of M10 to cut to length at work and with the right cutting disc on the grinder it was mint.

No chance you could do a cut every 5s though and you need to clean the ends up on the bench grinder before using really.

172 Cup
Any recommendations for a half decent boroscope around the £35 mark?
Seems to be loads varying from super cheap to full on pro level kit!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Not yet! The cutter is a chamfer tool with a 0.05mm nose radius/width so I can make small serrations, took a lot of searching to find as most chamfer tools have too big of a nose radius.

Ill let you know when the cnc mill arrives 😁
did someone say cnc...

what you waiting on?

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
did someone say cnc...

what you waiting on?

Its mostly the amount that goes with it, air, learning cam software, mist collector, 3ph wiring, the array of tooling and fixturing. Its a big commitment. I'm just trying to make sure I'm as prepared as possible. Also the money... :oops:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Its mostly the amount that goes with it, air, learning cam software, mist collector, 3ph wiring, the array of tooling and fixturing. Its a big commitment. I'm just trying to make sure I'm as prepared as possible. Also the money... :oops:
What machine?

Don't they say what ever you spend on a cnc you will spending again on tooling and accessories.

But f**king love cnc machines.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
What machine?

Don't they say what ever you spend on a cnc you will spending again on tooling and accessories.

But f**king love cnc machines.
A Haas mini mill with a 10k rpm spindle could do everything I want to do (can add 4th axis, angle heads, broaching heads etc..), but I keep looking at the xyz 2 op which has a very small foot print with near the same travels as the mini mill, but with more z axis and table to spindle distance. Both of those can be moved with a pallet jack. I already have some bt30 tooling as well which the 2 op uses.

You can easily spend 1000's on tooling, some larger end mills alone will be £700+!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
A Haas mini mill with a 10k rpm spindle could do everything I want to do (can add 4th axis, angle heads, broaching heads etc..), but I keep looking at the xyz 2 op which has a very small foot print with near the same travels as the mini mill, but with more z axis and table to spindle distance. Both of those can be moved with a pallet jack. I already have some bt30 tooling as well which the 2 op uses.

You can easily spend 1000's on tooling, some larger end mills alone will be £700+!
p**n!

I'm so f**king jealous! My machine is now 25 years old and showing it's age.

I went to southern engineering a few years ago haas and xyz were both there. What I can say from looking at the machines and talking to the reps is haas are far more advanced. Xyz had a cnc mill there, don't know which one and it didn't even have a probe option. I was like what £20k mill doesn't use a touch prove in this day and age.

I think haas is an excellent choice.

I really like the datron machines, they suit what I do very well. But are not great setup for everyone.

Top vices are four figures alone 😬😬

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
p**n!

I'm so f**king jealous! My machine is now 25 years old and showing it's age.

I went to southern engineering a few years ago haas and xyz were both there. What I can say from looking at the machines and talking to the reps is haas are far more advanced. Xyz had a cnc mill there, don't know which one and it didn't even have a probe option. I was like what £20k mill doesn't use a touch prove in this day and age.

I think haas is an excellent choice.

I really like the datron machines, they suit what I do very well. But are not great setup for everyone.

Top vices are four figures alone 😬😬
Yes the lack of probing/tool setting puts me off the 2 op, if only it was fanuc controls! Some xyz machines do have probing but they are the bigger ones.

I found this the other day, some 600mm wide 😁 Dont want to know the price of a new one!

5611935-01.1691834250__.jpg

5611935-03.1691834250__.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Yes the lack of probing/tool setting puts me off the 2 op, if only it was fanuc controls! Some xyz machines do have probing but they are the bigger ones.

I found this the other day, some 600mm wide 😁 Dont want to know the price of a new one!

View attachment 1663553

View attachment 1663554
Haas do do the toolroom mill that fits through a normal doorway. But it's £50k and doesn't have a lot of xyz movement.

Look forward to seeing your Haas mini mill, once again so jealous!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Morning all!

Torque wrenches....talk to me...

I have a very basic (Sealy?) (read:cheap) torque wrench which ive used for years. Chrome looking thing with the spinning handle to adjust it etc.

With the very strong possibility of some engine building on the horizon, I feel I should get myself prepared for buying a better and more accurate one.

What brand should I be looking at? In an ideal world I dont want to go crazy money wise, so something thats reasonable would be preferred!

And yes, id love the digital snap one ones (with angle, duh) but thats just not feesable atm!

Taaaaaa

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Morning all!

Torque wrenches....talk to me...

I have a very basic (Sealy?) (read:cheap) torque wrench which ive used for years. Chrome looking thing with the spinning handle to adjust it etc.

With the very strong possibility of some engine building on the horizon, I feel I should get myself prepared for buying a better and more accurate one.

What brand should I be looking at? In an ideal world I dont want to go crazy money wise, so something thats reasonable would be preferred!

And yes, id love the digital snap one ones (with angle, duh) but thats just not feesable atm!

Taaaaaa

The new Halfords Advanced ones are good, more of an accurate scale setting compared to the previous gen that went up in 10's.

Get an idea of what torque values you'll use the most, as they tend to be most accurate in their mid range setting. (although the calibration sheet that came with mine looked like it was decent at both ends of the scale too)

Or just buy all 3 😂