ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The PMS shifter rattle

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The rattle is probably the only downside to the PMS shifter so with a seed planted in my head by @NorthloopCup to track it down,
this is what I have found this evening,
A lot of people say it's the lift up reverse tube, this is not possible as the tube is ''O'' ringed top and bottom

IMG_0671.JPG

The second thought (this is what I thought it was) is the lower bearing vibrating, but it is clamped secure to the shaft via a lower step on the shaft and a collar that screws down tight.

IMG_0670.JPG

If you remove the collar to access the bearing you can see the slight play between the shaft and bearing but this play is clamped tight by the collar,

Mark had suggested a PTFE lined bearing try and stop/reduce the resonation, with the idea for a quick fix of trying chain lube to line the bearing,
I've tried this and it doesn't seem any better.
My conclusion to what I've found is the stick is slightly top heavy and the vibration at the lower mounting bracket of the selector rod is in frequency with with the engine vibrations and the metal housing is amplifying the noise, Pure have gone down the route of adding weight with the mass damper to try to change the frequency of the vibration at the stick end.,
I would go the other way and say the stick itself needs to be lightened, possibly machined out of round alloy bar or made from titanium tube to reduce the top heaviness of the stick, If pure or anyone fancy's trying this idea and it worked, I think people would be willing to pay a little extra for the kit or even if it were able to be bought as part as an upgrade for current owners, either way any royalties that could be paid to myself would be minimal :smile:.

if anyone has ideas please feel free to share as it will help the long term mental health of a lot of PMS owners.

Bash

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The rattle is probably the only downside to the PMS shifter so with a seed planted in my head by @NorthloopCup to track it down,
this is what I have found this evening,
A lot of people say it's the lift up reverse tube, this is not possible as the tube is ''O'' ringed top and bottom

View attachment 149321

The second thought (this is what I thought it was) is the lower bearing vibrating, but it is clamped secure to the shaft via a lower step on the shaft and a collar that screws down tight.

View attachment 149323

If you remove the collar to access the bearing you can see the slight play between the shaft and bearing but this play is clamped tight by the collar,

Mark had suggested a PTFE lined bearing try and stop/reduce the resonation, with the idea for a quick fix of trying chain lube to line the bearing,
I've tried this and it doesn't seem any better.
My conclusion to what I've found is the stick is slightly top heavy and the vibration at the lower mounting bracket of the selector rod is in frequency with with the engine vibrations and the metal housing is amplifying the noise, Pure have gone down the route of adding weight with the mass damper to try to change the frequency of the vibration at the stick end.,
I would go the other way and say the stick itself needs to be lightened, possibly machined out of round alloy bar or made from titanium tube to reduce the top heaviness of the stick, If pure or anyone fancy's trying this idea and it worked, I think people would be willing to pay a little extra for the kit or even if it were able to be bought as part as an upgrade for current owners, either way any royalties that could be paid to myself would be minimal :smile:.

if anyone has ideas please feel free to share as it will help the long term mental health of a lot of PMS owners.

Bash

Well it was worth a try wasn't it!!

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
am pretty sure it's from/caused by the linkage under the car?
Yes it is, but the fact that fulcrum point of the stick is below center means to vibration gathers momentum up through the stick
@bashracing can you do a video of the rattle so I can hear it for myself?
You could dynamat the inside of the turret housing to potentially reduce the amplification effect.
I'll get a video up tomorrow,
If I can get an Fia sticker for these I recon this is a solution
aegean_ear_defender-3(Aegean_Ear_Defenders_on_Centurion_Helmet).jpg

dan's cast offs.
could try filling the lower linkage? solid bar shouldn't be as bad?

got to admit though never come across one that rattles enough to need anything doing about it.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
You could try a few different shore rated polymers,
power flex black, purple or whatever colour they're making this week

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
that video quietens it down a little, you're maybe getting 80-90% of the full experience from that

Do the extra bits they sell on the pms site not quieten this noise then . I really fancy one I don't mind a bit of noise but don't want it cheap rattly sounding .

dan's cast offs.
never seen one anywhere near that bad, got one in each of my cars and negligible rattle from them. even in rally car with solid mounts minimal rattle.

no one has ever complained about rattle on any i've fitted either.

Phil M

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
never seen one anywhere near that bad, got one in each of my cars and negligible rattle from them. even in rally car with solid mounts minimal rattle.

I'll be the first then I'll do your head in whinging about it.

172 Turbo

Same, mine only rattles at motorway speed, it's not that bad and that is with solid mounts & evol.

Can't hear it now anyway!

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Alrighty then, after much discussion with @NorthloopCup I removed the selector rod (the bit between the shifter and gearbox) and filled it with sand which equated to 240g I then greased all the pivot points on reassembly and took it for a drive, the noise is now 90% reduced, Result I'd say

dan's cast offs.
Alrighty then, after much discussion with @NorthloopCup I removed the selector rod (the bit between the shifter and gearbox) and filled it with sand which equated to 240g I then greased all the pivot points on reassembly and took it for a drive, the noise is now 90% reduced, Result I'd say

i said to fill it, he said to drill it...he been pinching my ideas:wink:

172 Cup
Went away with the wife for a long weekend in the clio.....The rattle nearly divorced us!

Bash, you got a video of what it's like post sand filling it?

Is the damper from PMS that bad?