ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Porsche Carrera 4s Journey (Part 1: The Hunt)

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Are the Tip tronic's really that bad? My dad's got one on his 997 and he took me for a quick blast on the weekend, after he got it back from having some suspension work done and it seemed to work well with the car. Far enough it's no PDK and you don't get paddles but rather buttons on the steering wheel instead.

Are they unreliable/ have their fair share of problems? I'm not sure i could have a manual one if it was me, But, then again, i'm coming round to the idea of automatics now, which never really used to be the case. I suppose, if they are notorious for faults, it's just one thing else to worry about going wrong.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Are the Tip tronic's really that bad? My dad's got one on his 997 and he took me for a quick blast on the weekend, after he got it back from having some suspension work done and it seemed to work well with the car. Far enough it's no PDK and you don't get paddles but rather buttons on the steering wheel instead.

Are they unreliable/ have their fair share of problems? I'm not sure i could have a manual one if it was me, But, then again, i'm coming round to the idea of automatics now, which never really used to be the case. I suppose, if they are notorious for faults, it's just one thing else to worry about going wrong.

Its more personal preference and with manual cars holding there value better and not to mention the driving experience with the manual. Now by all means I totally agree autos (Dual clutch etc.. included) should be in high performance cars. However at 315bhp manual would be nice. Additionally there would be 'less' to go wrong and I can get better fuel economy in a car of this era if I was doing the shifting myself. But I dont have any facts to prove they were shite so cant give a truly informative answer mate!

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Update time!
So have yet to buy a car but have made an offer on a 997 Carrera as it was offered fairly cheap to me. However I have yet to negotiate with the actual owner so have yet to receive a response.
I saw one perfect-ish 996 4s up in Falkirk, low mileage at £21k. However we are currently extending the house so couldn't buy the car right now (it is no longer advertised) as we are clearing out and with my Golf and Clio taking up room adding a third right at this second is not ideal.

Nurburgring trip planned for the bank holiday weekend so will go there and decide whether or not to sell my Clio (don't want to) and the golf requires more TLC before its up for sale also.
Anyways hopefully the next update is with either the 996 or 997 :smile: