ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have an external DVD drive (for the woman's laptop) although I've never used it- nothing to stop you side mounting one though and I'm yet to see a fan controller that doesn't look tacky regardless of whether it's on its side.

You spent that much on a FAN CONTROLLER???
My point still stands though, I like the blank face, would prefer if the slots weren't there in the first place tbh.

Bought years ago yes (I think for £150), but it also controls all my watercooling (not just fan speed but water flow etc) based on temp sensors and other stuff, so it's pretty damn useful at having a silent rig, even when gaming.

Coolant change + compressed air dust removal:

mNmNAbK.jpg

Dropped near 15C, and it wasn't idling hot as it was...

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I need to change my fluid out, I just need to build up the motivation to empty out the two separate loops :( It needs an overhaul with CPU, Memory, Motherboard & GPU upgrades but we've spent an absolute fortune on a new kitchen and I've spent a small fortune on a second Microserver recently so the PC is on the back burner at the moment.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Surely since anyone can justify a 980Ti then an avid enthusiast such as yourself can justify a 'high end' 980Ti?

*sigh* I wish I could justify the cost of an EVGA nVidia GTX 980 Ti K1ngp1n Edition. Time to exercise some man-maths...
Saw someone post this on Overclockers UK (what a joke that forum is though). 2x8 pins and 1x 6 pin.. That's a lot of juice required!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Surely since anyone can justify a 980Ti then an avid enthusiast such as yourself can justify a 'high end' 980Ti?
Agreed. And it is my birthday in a few weeks time so... :smile:
Besides, it's only £250 (as far as my good lady is concerned). :tonguewink:

Saw someone post this on Overclockers UK (what a joke that forum is though). 2x8 pins and 1x 6 pin.. That's a lot of juice required!
Apparently the new VRM can deliver up to 600A of current via the 3 power inputs, and up to (allegedly) 2000MHz on boost. It's not going to be cheap, and probably not far off Titan prices.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Agreed. And it is my birthday in a few weeks time so... :smile:
Besides, it's only £250 (as far as my good lady is concerned). :tonguewink:

LOL. I'm hoping my woman doesn't ask how much I've spent this week as I hate lying!

SharkyUK said:
Apparently the new VRM can deliver up to 600A of current via the 3 power inputs, and up to (allegedly) 2000MHz on boost. It's not going to be cheap, and probably not far off Titan prices.

Holy moly. How much real performance over reference is that going to give in games?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Holy moly. How much real performance over reference is that going to give in games?
Early results would suggest a good 40-50% over reference. I've not seen any real evidence to prove it yet though, only what I've read online. I see that 3D Mark Fire Stirke results now have the K1ngp1n card sat at the top of the charts...

EDIT:
http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+ultra+preset/version+1.1/1+gpu
http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+extreme+preset/version+1.1/1+gpu
http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+performance+preset/version+1.1/1+gpu

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Early results would suggest a good 40-50% over reference. I've not seen any real evidence to prove it yet though, only what I've read online. I see that 3D Mark Fire Stirke results now have the K1ngp1n card sat at the top of the charts...

EDIT:
http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+ultra+preset/version+1.1/1+gpu
http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+extreme+preset/version+1.1/1+gpu
http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+performance+preset/version+1.1/1+gpu

So unless it costs over £750 it's probably decent value for money too!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Just ordered a ROG Swift and Acer Predator (4K) as I'm not sure what I'm after- plan is to be super careful opening and handling them and return one/both depending on the results. 980Ti gets here today. Should be a nice upgrade from an Iiyama 22" and R9 290.

F82 M4
Just ordered a ROG Swift and Acer Predator (4K) as I'm not sure what I'm after- plan is to be super careful opening and handling them and return one/both depending on the results. 980Ti gets here today. Should be a nice upgrade from an Iiyama 22" and R9 290.
1363126452_taco-girl-meme-generator-why-not-both-6ec00b.jpg

F82 M4
Honestly though mate I have the ROG Swift and I absolutely love it. 1440p is perfect IMO as I find 4k just a little bit too small

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Honestly though mate I have the ROG Swift and I absolutely love it. 1440p is perfect IMO as I find 4k just a little bit too small
But is there such thing as too many pixels?

If Windows can scale on a retina screen (higher pixel density) then it must scale fine on a 28" UDH screen. I am keen to try the 144hz out though, I can't help but feel it's going to be the placebo effect if I like it though.

If 60hz means you have a frame gap of 0.016 seconds, then that's the maximum latency it can add. Admittedly (using 60hz screens) to test my reaction times, I get about 0.2 seconds at best. So by reducing the frame gap with 144hz to 0.007 seconds, that's a maximum potential reaction time improvement of 0.01 seconds. 10ms... I'm sure it all adds up, but I wonder how much it's really worth if anything....

Anyway, the 980 is due today, Acer 4K tomorrow and ROG Swift TBC.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Tried a 4k one but not G-sync tbh. Just found 4k far too small, desktop etc. Would consider one at like 40"
There's peripheral vision and there's taking the piss!

The pixel density of 4K @ 28" (157dpi) is considerably less than your average retina display on a Macbook (220) or iPhone (400!!!). But it's about 50% higher than the ROG Swift (109 dpi). It's also over double the pixels so my main concern is being able to drive games at that res.

F82 M4
There's peripheral vision and there's taking the piss!

The pixel density of 4K @ 28" (157dpi) is considerably less than your average retina display on a Macbook (220) or iPhone (400!!!). But it's about 50% higher than the ROG Swift (109 dpi). It's also over double the pixels so my main concern is being able to drive games at that res.
Well I am sorry mate lol.

I just didn't like it. I've never used a Macbook.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The taking the piss comment was referring to a 40" monitor for a PC dude. Unless you sit at a distance I can't see the benefit, it would be sensory overload!

F82 M4
Finally got round to getting some custom braided cables in a much better colour. Also had a decal whipped up of my favourite Dota hero :)

Not sure why I still have badges on there, they look a bit gash and shall be taking them off. You get the idea anyway :)

20150722_183357.jpg

20150722_183227.jpg

20150722_183405.jpg

F82 M4
Standard 540 Air case fans!!!

Also I'm confused, is that your desk with the 40" on it ? (Is it 40"?)
Haha they do the job :smile: They're pretty quiet and are keeping things cool so didn't think there was any point of swapping them out.

No mate that's not my desk, just an image from Overclockers showing that Phillips 40" monitor.

I have the Swift :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ahh I see.

Ok, so the 980 is in and I've already got issues!

Strange artifacting in the middle of the screen scrolling up and down webpages, they've disappeared after a restart. Now I have the same issue in Witcher3. Also the FPS (according to FRAPS) is 60 which suggests VSync is on doesn't it? But I checked the settings and everything's on ultra but VSync is definitely set to off.

Dodgy card or something else perhaps?

F82 M4
Ahh I see.

Ok, so the 980 is in and I've already got issues!

Strange artifacting in the middle of the screen scrolling up and down webpages, they've disappeared after a restart. Now I have the same issue in Witcher3. Also the FPS (according to FRAPS) is 60 which suggests VSync is on doesn't it? But I checked the settings and everything's on ultra but VSync is definitely set to off.

Dodgy card or something else perhaps?

Is Vsync turned to "Use the application 3D setting" on the NV control panel?

It's under the Manage 3D settings part.

And also in Witcher 3 you can slide it to the left for the unlimited fps option

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Is Vsync turned to "Use the application 3D setting" on the NV control panel?

It's under the Manage 3D settings part.

And also in Witcher 3 you can slide it to the left for the unlimited fps option

Yes it was, turned it off in there.

Also turned FPS to unlimited. Haven't noticed the same artifacts since, but it still doesn't look... That smooth, it says 70+ FPS - not sure to describe it, stutter maybe, not even sure that's the right word.