ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
A final pic now its 100% finished and topped up:

IMG_2721_zpstimz0bbl.jpg

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The watercooling gear has been accumulated over a few years, this is technically its third re-work with me, when i've got more time i can try and put something more accurate together, but by the time you add in the pumps, pump tops, reservoirs, radiators, fittings, blocks and tubing i'd say mine has a conservative £500+ in parts.

Evo 5 RS
This was my 900D before I stripped it down, was hooked up to an external 1080mm as well as being filled with two slim line 480s and two 240 Black Ice rads.

Quick Disconnects are a must for me as I chop things out all the time lol

SH8bw28.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@Silent_Scone @Gareth - chaps, not wanting to knock your work with the WC stuff, but given how thermally efficient modern kit is these days - do you really need water-cooling? Don't get me wrong - as a technical exercise and simply because you 'can' are more than worthy enough answers. I just think from an actual requirement need - is such kit really warranted? And yes - for the record, I'd water-cool my next build if I had the funds! :blush:

From my perspective and running on air - I can definitely see the benefit if I ever did switch...

Warframe%20GPU%20Temp_zpsarkc6oas.jpg

As a sideline - and my own personal crusade about the potential awesomeness of multi-GPU setups - its interesting how different graphics engines spread the load. It's clearly possible and I'd argue (wish) that it was more mainstream. You get games such as Warframe, CS:GO and Elite Dangerous that are happy to use multi-GPUs. Then you get the likes of Company of Heroes 2 and Van Helsing 3 - that simply hammer the first GPU and more or less ignore the rest - regardless of the SLi settings chosen. Worse, the likes of Killing Floor 2 and The Division either crash out on launch or eventually die with SLi enabled.

Elite Dangerous across all four GPUs....

Elite%20Dangerous_zpsnkbv4eia.jpg

....and CoH2 for comparison.

COH2_zpsibh1a4kj.jpg

Evo 5 RS
Lol - no! I take it that things get a little "toasty"? :smile:

It can do when pushed! I had a ton of rad space and clocked mine daily at 1.2v 4.4Ghz just to keep things where I liked them. I agree for the most part, end users can get away with AIO solutions. For GPUs I don't think I will go water again, but I've said these things in the past lol.

My 3 x 580 GTXs used to practically heat the whole house, lol.

Yeah having 3 GPUs in a loop can be killer, especially if the loop is doing the job properly. All that heat has to go somewhere lol. But it's a compromise - it's either that or deal with the noise of the reference blowers struggling due to having a heat sandwich.

LL.jpg

3way_sli.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

Been having a few ideas mulling over in my head regarding an upgrade. I'm getting married at the end of August, so zero chance of anything happening before then. Also I'm thinking of going two-stage on the process. Buying a new case, mobo, CPU and memory first and using my existing GTX690s. Then buying a more suitable card (at this stage probably a single 980Ti) a few months later.

My current Corsair PSU is 800 watts, so that should suffice. Although I've no plans to go down the route of water cooling, I'd certainly be looking at the hybrid solution, just for the CPU - like the Corsair Hydro H100i.

The key hold-up for me is whether or not to wait for Skylake-E. It's roadmap suggest Q3 of this year, which more or less falls perfectly in line when I'm looking to upgrade. I'm just wondering whether or not the additional outlay will be worth it at the time?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I have to admit I prefer water cooling on the CPU and simply a good air flow for the GPU. I'm no longer into overclocking (other than the standard overclock on the GPU's I've bought in the past from EVGA) and can't actually be bothered with the hassle and expense of a full water cooled setup either (even thought they can look cool and obviously have benefits). I'm still rocking an Intel i7 4770K and it copes with most things I throw at it. I would like more cores (not for gaming, but for 'serious development stuff') yet the additional cost of going for the higher-end enthusiast CPU's were something I couldn't really justify at the time for my home rig. Now I don't have my old job I'm missing all the high-end hardware though... :(

Personally I would wait and just focus on the wedding and then consider your options again thereafter (but not on your first night as husband and wife, that won't go down well). I think nVidia might well usher in the new generation of GPUs sooner than later, too - possibly giving you something else to consider or maybe reducing the price of the 980Ti's. You could always buy mine as I'll most likely be upgrading to the 1080Ti equivalent... :tonguewink:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
If your on an i7 already I'd suggest doing the 980Ti first, a CPU upgrade isn't likely to be that strongly felt tbh.

Evo 5 RS
I have to admit I prefer water cooling on the CPU and simply a good air flow for the GPU. I'm no longer into overclocking (other than the standard overclock on the GPU's I've bought in the past from EVGA) and can't actually be bothered with the hassle and expense of a full water cooled setup either (even thought they can look cool and obviously have benefits). I'm still rocking an Intel i7 4770K and it copes with most things I throw at it. I would like more cores (not for gaming, but for 'serious development stuff') yet the additional cost of going for the higher-end enthusiast CPU's were something I couldn't really justify at the time for my home rig. Now I don't have my old job I'm missing all the high-end hardware though... 😧

Personally I would wait and just focus on the wedding and then consider your options again thereafter (but not on your first night as husband and wife, that won't go down well). I think nVidia might well usher in the new generation of GPUs sooner than later, too - possibly giving you something else to consider or maybe reducing the price of the 980Ti's. You could always buy mine as I'll most likely be upgrading to the 1080Ti equivalent... :tonguewink:

Amen. I'm rocking an i5 6600K at the moment. Quad cores are still where it is at for gaming. Although the prospect of the deca cored BWE chip is mouth watering! Wait for Pascal, @Darren S. Computex next month, then cards in June. Money is best spent there. Other gains are limited.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
If your on an i7 already I'd suggest doing the 980Ti first, a CPU upgrade isn't likely to be that strongly felt tbh.

Amen. I'm rocking an i5 6600K at the moment. Quad cores are still where it is at for gaming. Although the prospect of the deca cored BWE chip is mouth watering! Wait for Pascal, @Darren S. Computex next month, then cards in June. Money is best spent there. Other gains are limited.

Agreed - a high-performing quad core will still be good for a while yet. For gaming I am still yet to see any tangible benefits that anything more than a quad core will bring to the table. Game logic doesn't particularly lend itself well to distributed processing over multiple cores (and a lot of game engines out there are still quite poorly implemented) so I'd only be interested in higher core counts for serious number-crunching work; i.e. rendering, high-fidelity content generation, complex mathematical modelling and so-forth. GPUs are continuing to evolve at a fair old rate and becoming ever more general purpose...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys.

But wouldn't there be a significant improvement between a current 6th gen i7 and my 1st gen i7 that I have now?

I also found it interesting that Vermintide causes shutdown through CPU over-temp - the only game I own that does this? Their own devs admit that there's a problem - in particular with the hordes coming in. Graphically, I have to play it on the Lowest setting in order for the CPU not to get too hot, yet I can run it with everything maxed for a few minutes before the first horde comes in.

My CPU dates back to 2008 and will have been designed way before then, also. Maybe my i7 can cope? I'm not sure.

Andy - let me know what you're selling your 980Ti for! :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thanks guys.

But wouldn't there be a significant improvement between a current 6th gen i7 and my 1st gen i7 that I have now?

I also found it interesting that Vermintide causes shutdown through CPU over-temp - the only game I own that does this? Their own devs admit that there's a problem - in particular with the hordes coming in. Graphically, I have to play it on the Lowest setting in order for the CPU not to get too hot, yet I can run it with everything maxed for a few minutes before the first horde comes in.

My CPU dates back to 2008 and will have been designed way before then, also. Maybe my i7 can cope? I'm not sure.

Andy - let me know what you're selling your 980Ti for! :smile:
See a modern i7 could quite possibly muster the same performance with a lower heat output (I don't know this for sure, but I'd guess it was true).

My haswell i7 runs a lot cooler than my old i5 lynnfield. The i5 had a Corsair H100i and the i7 is on a Noctua DH15 though. But from what I've read, they should be trading blows at max cooling rather than one of them beating the other by a huge margin. The Noctua is much quieter than the Corsair piece of s**t though.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
n 6600K would be a decent choice for gaming and with how Intel chips have been progressing serve you well for a considerable amount of time yet.

Mine is running at 4.7Ghz and I've not had any issues.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
You won't tell much difference between the original i7 and the latest i7, trust me I've just done it. 580 GTX vs 980Ti was completely different obviously.

Evo 5 RS
I've been using mine with the ASUS Impact ITX as an interim thing till BWE, but I have to say - couple it with a capable GPU and the 6600K holds up fine, and by fine I mean more than capable. Although for desktop work you can tell when the cores are busy. I do miss having the extra grunt. Not sure how much of that is simply the lack of hyperthreading from the i7. The 10 core Broadwell-E is going to hit the UK around £1,200 with VAT. Maybe even a touch more. Don't ask how I know that for sure ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Andy - let me know what you're selling your 980Ti for! :smile:
Will do mate! :) You've got first dibs!

It is m8 - specifically the Bloomfield 'version'. Currently an i7 965 Extreme Edition.
Hmm, the thing is that your chip is still actually a very capable CPU on paper. However, it would seem that (using the Intel i7 6600K as a reference) you would likely see some 30-40% real world performance increase by upgrading. That's a fair chunk (although - of course - the reality very much depends on the software, what you're doing and other hardware components in the system). Based on that I would probably make the jump and bring your CPU and supporting hardware up to something a little more up-to-date. The newer CPU's are obviously based on a smaller die process, run more efficiently at comparable clock speeds and offer more performance per watt. However... is it worth holding out for the Skylake-E? I'm not so sure mate. It would certainly be a 'nice to have' but I'm not sure you're going to gain much over - say - a 6600K for what you will be using your system for. Given the premium you're paying for the enthusiast level CPUs I'd be more inclined to pocket the difference (or spend it elsewhere!)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Great input guys. I think for the relatively small price hike in an i7 Skylake over the i5, I'd prefer to go for the higher spec CPU. It's just a niggling need with me. If the price gap between an i5 6600K @ 3.5Ghz stock and 6MB cache is £198 - I can justify the i7 6700K @ 4.0Ghz stock and 8MB cache at £279. Silly I know - but that's just me! If it was three times the price or similar - then I'd happily concede with the i5.

The mobo is an unknown for me as yet. So many seem very capable and good at what they offer. I've historically been an Asus user - but I'm in no way a fanboi on theirs. If MSI or others have better spec for similar money, I'm cool with that too. Probably looking at 16GB DDR4 memory to begin with - again, suggestions and thoughts on that would be good. Is GSKILL still right up there then, @Silent_Scone ??

Cheers,
D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah I'm impressed with my 32GB G.Skill, tempted to put another 32GB in but tbh its probably a complete waste of £200 so decided to not bother. The only way I'd use it is for VMs and I've got 3 servers for that.

Evo 5 RS
Great input guys. I think for the relatively small price hike in an i7 Skylake over the i5, I'd prefer to go for the higher spec CPU. It's just a niggling need with me. If the price gap between an i5 6600K @ 3.5Ghz stock and 6MB cache is £198 - I can justify the i7 6700K @ 4.0Ghz stock and 8MB cache at £279. Silly I know - but that's just me! If it was three times the price or similar - then I'd happily concede with the i5.

The mobo is an unknown for me as yet. So many seem very capable and good at what they offer. I've historically been an Asus user - but I'm in no way a fanboi on theirs. If MSI or others have better spec for similar money, I'm cool with that too. Probably looking at 16GB DDR4 memory to begin with - again, suggestions and thoughts on that would be good. Is GSKILL still right up there then, @Silent_Scone ??

Cheers,
D.

It's all much of a muchness mate. GSKILL hand bin their kits so the guardband is fairly good, shouldn't have any trouble. If you need a hand getting any stability tuned in jump on the thread on overclock.net. Generally though Z170, at least with ASUS boards, the auto rules for memory overclocking scale very well. Little to no input needed up to 3600Mhz DRAM. Generally speaking the sweet spot for that platform is between 3200-3600.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
My PC is running like a bag of s**t for a while now, restarts itself now and again and the screen flickers maybe to do with the new gfx card i put in a while back maybe it's not compatible. Also when i'm on YouTube the sound is coming out like dubbed. Running slow too.

Is there a noob's guide to what's what on building a pc. I have no idea what you need and what's the difference between the numbers and letters of each thing you need to build a pc.

Would like to spend around £400-£500 just for home use non gaming just for surfing the net and watching YouTube

Honda. Tesla Someday
Jesus the Gtx 1080 is a god-like card! God damn NVidia has gone all out with this!

Even the Gtx 1070 is insane!! Both well priced too! So god damn tempted!