ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Thinking of ordering this lot for an upgrade to my current setup. Would anyone make any changes to it? Budget is around £600ish.

Asus Z97-K - Devils Canyon Core i5 4690K Bundle
Akasa AK-CC4008HP01 Venom Voodoo CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Honda. Tesla Someday
My most recent build consists of the following:

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower ATX Case + Airflow kit
ASUS ROG Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
Intel i5-4690K Devils Canyon (OC 4.4ghz)
EVGA GTx 970 SSC (SuperSuperClocked) edition w/ ACX 2.0 (OC to 1500Mhz) + Backplate
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler + 2x SP120 Fans
32Gb Kingston HyperX FURY Ram 1866Mhz (yet to be OC'd) [2x White + 2x Red]
Corsair CX600M PSU (80+ Bronze Certified)
Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb SSD
2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD
1Tb WD 7200rpm HDD
Internal White LED light strips x2 (hidden)
Corsair SP140 Red LED Fans x 2 [Front]
Corsair AF120 Red LED Fan [Bottom]
Corsair AF140 Red LED Fan [Rear]

I think that's about it lol - very happy with this build so far!

Build Name: "Zeus"

Last edited:
  Honda. Tesla Someday
My most recent build consists of the following:

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower ATX Case + Airflow kit
ASUS ROG Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
Intel i5-4690K Devils Canyon (OC 4.4ghz)
EVGA GTx 970 SSC (SuperSuperClocked) edition w/ ACX 2.0 (OC to 1500Mhz) + Backplate
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler + 2x SP120 Fans
32Gb Kingston HyperX FURY Ram 1866Mhz (yet to be OC'd) [2x White + 2x Red]
Corsair CX600M PSU (80+ Bronze Certified)
Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb SSD
2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD
1Tb WD 7200rpm HDD
Internal White LED light strips x2 (hidden)
Corsair SP140 Red LED Fans x 2 [Front]
Corsair AF120 Red LED Fan [Bottom]
Corsair AF140 Red LED Fan [Rear]

I think that's about it lol - very happy with this build so far!

Build Name: "Zeus"

My Part picker link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8nhXD3

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up the below for Christmas. Just got 22 days to wait now..... :smirk:

Monitor%20small_zps0t3hj8io.jpg

After pouring a drink on my graphics card, I've been looking at replacements. I also kinda want a new motherboard so I can get a faster processor. And I would really like a 3D monitor.
So I priced all that up on overclockers, then I found that AMD doesn't really support 3D monitors :(

So I started looking at Intel stuff instead for all of the above, but it seems so much more expensive for the same specs. It seems like a lot of you guys are on Intel systems. Is it really worth it?

I'm at the point where my whole system needs upgrading, so now would be a good time to switch if I was going to

Honda. Tesla Someday
After pouring a drink on my graphics card, I've been looking at replacements. I also kinda want a new motherboard so I can get a faster processor. And I would really like a 3D monitor.
So I priced all that up on overclockers, then I found that AMD doesn't really support 3D monitors 😧

So I started looking at Intel stuff instead for all of the above, but it seems so much more expensive for the same specs. It seems like a lot of you guys are on Intel systems. Is it really worth it?

I'm at the point where my whole system needs upgrading, so now would be a good time to switch if I was going to
Personally I have always found that going the route of Intel / NVidia is best for me.

If I were you I'd go Intel / NVidia now as well seeing as AMD as a company is not looking too stable right now.

F82 M4
Picked up the below for Christmas. Just got 22 days to wait now..... :smirk:

Monitor%20small_zps0t3hj8io.jpg

20151203_175400_HDR.jpg

I've been rocking mine for just over 12 months now Darren and I absolutely love it :)

Although, it did take me 3 units to get the one I was happy with with zero deal pixels. Where did you buy it from? Overclockers have the best pixel warranty from anybody else, however you'll need to check it within 28 days. Better get it tested before Christmas ;)

- OcUK Exclusive Service: Warranty regarding dead pixels falls under ISO rules and as such dead pixels if very few are not an actual fault. But at OcUK we value our customers especially when spending such a large amount of money on what is a flagship gaming monitor. As such even if you only have 1 dead/stuck pixel and it has not gone after 3 days, we will class the monitor as faulty and exchange it for you at no cost to you. This service is exclusive at OcUK for Asus ROG Swift ONLY or other qualifying monitors! (Valid for 28 days from purchase)!

Just as an example, which makes me laugh...

On overclockers, the most expensive AMD processor is £175 8 core 4.7GHz
For the same price you would get an Intel 4 core 3.5GHz
The CHEAPEST 8 core is £542 and it is a 2.4GHz

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just understand it lol

F82 M4
Just as an example, which makes me laugh...

On overclockers, the most expensive AMD processor is £175 8 core 4.7GHz
For the same price you would get an Intel 4 core 3.5GHz
The CHEAPEST 8 core is £542 and it is a 2.4GHz

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just understand it lol
AMD MHz don't equal Intel MHz

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nice Darren, I'd be very keen to hear your thoughts on it, I want 2 in the new year.

Yeah - fingers crossed it's a good one! I've had my previous 27" Iiyama for several years now - but I think it's time I moved out of the 60hz zone.... :smile:

20151203_175400_HDR.jpg

I've been rocking mine for just over 12 months now Darren and I absolutely love it :smile:

Although, it did take me 3 units to get the one I was happy with with zero deal pixels. Where did you buy it from? Overclockers have the best pixel warranty from anybody else, however you'll need to check it within 28 days. Better get it tested before Christmas :wink:

Glad you mentioned that m8 - I'll be opening it this weekend and testing it. I'd be a bit pissed if it did have dodgy pixels and I pushed myself out of the returns window, waiting for Christmas.

I got it from Scan, mainly because they are local to me and appeared to be around £40 cheaper than elsewhere. I would have liked to have gone for the IPS version - but at another £200 on top of this, it's a bit too much! Plus, I'm not rolling with 900 series cards yet, so I couldn't take advantage of anything north of 144hz anyway.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah I've upgraded to 980ti and as awesome as it is, I've no doubt 1080p 60Hz is hiding its true capability.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'm not being biased. Genuinely AMD are so far behind with their processors. They are on such an old manufacturing process.
This!, Last time I had an AMD was an Athlon XP!!
actually I tell a Lie I have an AM1 Quad core Athlon 2.1GHz in my HTPC and I cant wait to replace it, but I'm too tight to until ive had 12 months out it!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'm not being biased. Genuinely AMD are so far behind with their processors. They are on such an old manufacturing process.
Another nod of agreement from myself, too. I worked on a substantial project a couple of years back whereby I was tasked with writing a high-performance simulation that would scale nicely across multiple cores and processors. The initial setup involved an array of 64 AMD cores. The results were disappointing. We decided to try an Intel solution but only had immediate access to a 16 core setup... yet it blew the AMD array into the weeds (using EXACTLY the same code and scheduling / tasking).

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
@Darren S

Have you checked out the ROG Swift yet mate? I'm going to order one from Scan also I think and then maybe a second shortly after.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@Darren S

Have you checked out the ROG Swift yet mate? I'm going to order one from Scan also I think and then maybe a second shortly after.

Hi m8,

Yes I did - I brought it into work rather than faff around at home. Worked perfectly on the tests I did here - not one dead pixel! :)

Not had chance to actually try out any of the G-Sync features yet though. All the DisplayPort enabled cards here are the onboard graphics ones - principally Intel GFX. It does look a bloody good monitor though!

Clio Trophy
so, after upgrading my PC, i caved in and got a freesync 24" 4k monitor, after watching some 4k vids, i thought it would be interesting to buy or stream a 4k film but 4k content is more limited than i thought, but if i did buy a film, would i require a new dvd drive ? or do they run off normal bluray drives

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Hi m8,

Yes I did - I brought it into work rather than faff around at home. Worked perfectly on the tests I did here - not one dead pixel! :smile:

Not had chance to actually try out any of the G-Sync features yet though. All the DisplayPort enabled cards here are the onboard graphics ones - principally Intel GFX. It does look a bloody good monitor though!

Cheers D, going to order 1 now.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Awesome monitors, unfortunately one is perfect, the other has a white spot / screen bleed mark so I'm sending it back on RMA, hopefully they will clear it and I'll have to re-order.

PITA

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Ah - not good. Are you using them straight away? Not a Christmas present or anything??

No I'm using them straight away, I wasn't that impressed initially until I realised they needed to be set at 144Hz, then wow big difference! Switching back to 60Hz in games is comical.

PG278Q_zpszi41wxio.jpg

You can just see it on this resized pic, i'm not sure what my chances of RMA are, its going to cost me circa £40 if they choose to decline it.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've also got an interesting issue RDP'ing from Windows 10 to older servers 2008 / 2003 full screen, the text rendering is unreadable etc, apparently this has been sorted in the latest build of Windows 10 released this week so I've got to try and get my build to that. If I use the RDP window @ 1920 x 1080 its fine.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Wow - your monitor is properly broke. The red 'on' ring is replicated on your screen. :wink:

Yeah - a tricky one that. It does stand out - enough that it would bug me too. I haven't even sampled the 144hz loveliness yet - that I am looking forward to.

I'm wondering if there's any mods out there for running a few games in the vertical plane with the monitor swivelled at 90 degrees? Any of the Pinball FX games and others like Ikaruga would look amazing in the traditional arcade 'view'.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
If it was a £200 monitor I'd be replacing in a few years I'd let it go, but not on a £500+ monitor that will be with me for the foreseeable. I'll advise what happens, I could end up with it back yet.

F82 M4
No I'm using them straight away, I wasn't that impressed initially until I realised they needed to be set at 144Hz, then wow big difference! Switching back to 60Hz in games is comical.
I had a mate who bought a 144hz screen for like £350 and used 60hz for 12 months until I pointed it out to him at a LAN once :D Needless to say he was stumped. 144hz is literally amazeballs.

A shiny black one.
Water cooling is so cool. I managed to buy a pair of non reference cards that I can't get a full water block for. Not really sure what my options are.

Did you not fancy water cooling your cards?

Renault Clio182 bean
Water cooling is so cool. I managed to buy a pair of non reference cards that I can't get a full water block for. Not really sure what my options are.

Did you not fancy water cooling your cards?
yeah definitely but like yourself there are no water blocks available for my card unfortunately, I would like a pair of gtx980ti to be honest but il have to get them later in the year as I just blew ££££ on a new setup for Xmas, I decided to go with the Intel sky lake i7 6700k CPU which wasn't cheap.

Renault Clio182 bean
This is the bundle I ordered for my next build, going for a red and black theme. It just so happens that the motherboard I wanted was actually red and black as well :D...perfect.
DSC_0239_zpsmpuqc9rc.jpg

DSC_0231_zpsduuovepd.jpg

DSC_0245_zpskeihmqxe.jpg