ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The truth about the K Series?

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
The K-Series head is a very good design, I flows much better than the A-Series. Infact the K-Series engines pull well, they're quick. Only problem is the seemingly blow head gaskets every five minutes.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
One of my favourite 4 pot engines.. So simple to work on, once they have had the head gasket done properly look after them and they are brilliant light weight engine

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Read half of it, will catch up othe he rest tomorrow, cheers :)

I like the k series tbh.

The K-Series head is a very good design, I flows much better than the A-Series. Infact the K-Series engines pull well, they're quick. Only problem is the seemingly blow head gaskets every five minutes.

One of my favourite 4 pot engines.. So simple to work on, once they have had the head gasket done properly look after them and they are brilliant light weight engine

Well according to the article it's not the headgasket at fault that causes the failure, it is the thermostat.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've lost count of the amount of k series head gaskets I've done, they say the thermostat was only desgned for short journeys and to get the temperature up quickly for efficiency etc, yer that's fine on the 1.1s for the granny metros but anything 1.4 and above a better thermostat is desperately needed.

Once th h/g was done once and properly the issue is solved anyway tbh.

WRX
Mate of mine has a BRM. Factory is 143bhp, his is dyno'd 200bhp N/A so yes great engine to tune. MLS head gasket and incar remote stat is recommended.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I had a BRM racing Green with the orange mouth and the red leather and chrome inside :)

How did he get 200 BHP out of it ? drop the tomcat turbo engine in it ?

Mate of mine has a BRM. Factory is 143bhp, his is dyno'd 200bhp N/A so yes great engine to tune. MLS head gasket and incar remote stat is recommended.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I like the K series. Have a go in metro gti if any are still on the roads. A 1.8 metty must be mental.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Did someone remove my post asking if he got sucked off by a K-series?

What a weird thing to be censored on here!

Listerine & Poledo
The VVC 160 was quite decent in my old ZR, felt like it had a more "even" distribution of power than the 172 engine.

But I had to get rid when I found some sort of gunge in the oil filler cap.......

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The K-Series head is a very good design, I flows much better than the A-Series.

What a weird metric to use, can you name ANY modern engine with a cylinder head that doesnt massively outperform the rubbish 5 port head on an A series?

Infact the K-Series engines pull well, they're quick. Only problem is the seemingly blow head gaskets every five minutes.

The K series is a fantastic design concept badly implemented.
On paper its epic, but just let down by a few minor issues with how its actually made.

clio sold :(
Had a 1.4 kseries in my rover. It had a head gasket at 45, 000 the factory gasket was the problem i was always told on the forum.
I had that car 3 years and I HAMMERD it and it never missed a beat. I miss it!! Its STILL forsale at the garage I Px to they have had it for 1 Year!!

Who wouldnt want this :p :p
20120214_161007.jpg

Evo 5 RS
If you've ever tried changing a head gasket on a vvc engine you'll appreciate it's qualities a little less.

Their rep isn't helped by the fact they used to put them in the freelanders. Making them massively under powered and even more prone to gasket failure.

Bookmarked for later

Megane r26
Their rep isn't helped by the fact they used to put them in the freelanders. Making them massively under powered and even more prone to gasket failure.

Most the gaskets I've changed on these have been on freelanders, 120bhp 1800 petrol pulling round a big lump like that!

I've recently just sold a little 2005 zr that used to belong to the missus, funnily enough I changed the head gasket on that! I brought it cheap an it had a bit of a leak on the top hose (where it comes out the head) so the fact it was losing water is never going to help. These k series don't hold alot of water so the smallest leak seems to affect them alot.

On a lot of these (after speaking to a good friend who is a bit of k series fan) I tend to drill a tiny hole (1/8 of an inch) in the thermostat, they tend to run a tiny bit cooler, more importantly allows the coolant to flow a little bit before it reachs tempreture to lower the amount of "thermal shock" when it finally does open (similar to the PRT fitted to some models).

I quite like the k series tbh, when in good running order they peform quite well, especially in the small platforms (zr, 200, metro)

WRX
I had a BRM racing Green with the orange mouth and the red leather and chrome inside :)

How did he get 200 BHP out of it ? drop the tomcat turbo engine in it ?
No, was still the standard 1.8. But with a lot of work done. Bodies, removed VVT and changed cams, serious head work etc.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Ah I see themost I did with my one was the larger throttle body from the ZR 160 and somelight breathing mods . Went quite well for a N/A 1.8 and the LSD and suspensionset up was very good indeed .

No, was still the standard 1.8. But with a lot of work done. Bodies, removed VVT and changed cams, serious head work etc.

Megane r26
These are VERY rapid have seen a few run in the 13s at the pod

A friend of mine has built a few of these, also ran low 13's up pod an upset some scooby forum ;)

One of his was running around 180bhp, serious bit of kit. If I remember right reyland built a rather nice one.

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
Reyland built an orange R100 to a very high spec, pretty standard power wise, but the problem with these cars is getting the power down which this one did very nicely.

Numerous videos on YouTube of it playing with Cosworths also built at Reyland.

53 Clio's & counting
The K in my old Elise is now on 103k - original gasket.

I really like them, the basic 118bhp makes max torque at 3000rpm and max power at 5500rpm, so it never 'feels' fast but I like how they drive.

As Scrooge said, if the gasket is fixed properly, then it won't go again (Well not through any fault of it's own)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Reyland built an orange R100 to a very high spec, pretty standard power wise, but the problem with these cars is getting the power down which this one did very nicely.

Numerous videos on YouTube of it playing with Cosworths also built at Reyland.

Yeah Martins metro was very cool, he replaced it with a yellow rover 200 with an audi lump though.

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
Chip, do you know Dave one of Martins mates who is currently putting an Audi 20v T into his Metro? Now that's a cool build!

Megane r26
Yeah Martins metro was very cool, he replaced it with a yellow rover 200 with an audi lump though.

that 20vt conversion looks tidy, plus the t series lumps are getting thin on the ground now days an parts are more readily available for the vag stuff so I guess its a no brainer.

182cup & 172 racecar
Russ who races with us in TT, has got a zr, bloody quick that thing, good job he's in a different class to us.

Evo 5 RS
The K in my old Elise is now on 103k - original gasket.

I really like them, the basic 118bhp makes max torque at 3000rpm and max power at 5500rpm, so it never 'feels' fast but I like how they drive.

As Scrooge said, if the gasket is fixed properly, then it won't go again (Well not through any fault of it's own)

Stronger gasket on the lotus mate

Stronger gasket on the lotus mate

they were the same gasket from the factory so same as in any other model single layer , and did not become multi layer till much much later on , having had several elises and an mgf we know only too well .....

one of the main issues is the nylon dowels used to align the head , which were later changed to steel , and that's also the mod when doing the head gasket ....... don't know many elises that had not had a head gasket go and its cause by the head moving in 99% of plastic doweled . k series

if you want to see a powerful K series find a Judd stroked 1800 which makes it a 2.0 .

or just fit a decent engine ......... also one of the worst things about caterhams ....... until the k series forged pistons became a standard fit ...... oh the k series woes i have seen

Last edited:
  Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Came in here expecting a proper K Series, the K20 Honda Lump ;)

However, the Rover K is a legendary lump in all fairness to it

Sport 172 flame Red
Loved mine in my mg zr 1.4 it was brilliant once I had replaced the head gasket and fully rebuilt the head, great car just liked to fall apart alot!

Miss it to this day but I do prefer my Clio 172 so much more!

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
There good exept the head gasket issues they rev really well ive owned A T-Series and it was fine u have to make sure its got a Triple layer gasket thou

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I remember it was said that a 2.0 K16 was impossible and then Judd Power dropped the K20 which was not only a winner but was rumoured to be reliable to.

Shame Rover died though as there were some really interesting cars on the cusp of being released including a new C series common rail 2.0 16v diesel unit (it was bought by someone but can't remember by who) and a '180ps ZR... proberbly a K20 unit and I remember seeing the demo car at Autosport (they were also developing the ZR-X210 and that was deffo the Judd Power engine).

Racing Blue 182 Cup
I had a K plate Metro GTi back in 1997. It was a great car. My first hot(ish) hatch. Being a youth then i ragged it everywhere and it never ever skipped a beat in 2 years. Handling was ok but at the limit the rear was a bit bouncy, but good cheap fun. It was my pride and joy.

Turbos.
they were the same gasket from the factory so same as in any other model single layer , and did not become multi layer till much much later on , having had several elises and an mgf we know only too well .....

one of the main issues is the nylon dowels used to align the head , which were later changed to steel , and that's also the mod when doing the head gasket ....... don't know many elises that had not had a head gasket go and its cause by the head moving in 99% of plastic doweled . k series

if you want to see a powerful K series find a Judd stroked 1800 which makes it a 2.0 .

or just fit a decent engine ......... also one of the worst things about caterhams ....... until the k series forged pistons became a standard fit ...... oh the k series woes i have seen

The Judd engine is nothing out of this world, just super expensive with a posh name! When they used it for touring cars they used an engine a session.

120d M Sport
I've driven a few ZR's and I've always thought the K-Series has felt smooth, with a nice power delivery. Underrated.