ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Things to look for buying 2nd hand 172s

Im looking to get a mk2 172 in the next couple of months... I was thinking of getting a new one but seeing all the little niggling problems people have been haing on here with there new cars I have decided to get one second hand thats done about 10k...

This way itll still have warranty remaining but any of the common problems should have surfaced and have either been sorted or be obvious on the test drive.

Just wanted to get peoples advice for the main things to look for when looking / test driving.

Cheers

erm test a few that way you can find a fast one

check for dents on every panel as they are very easy to mark check for wear on the front seats just on the bolsters just at the bottom they are 1400 each for seat covers

check brake fluid you will need to remove the engine cover check jacking points at the front to see if they are bent check for water in the spare wheel well and under rear seat pads.

see if it clonks when slowly moving on full lock

see if the clutch is easy to use it will be heavy but shouldnt stick or grate

check the dash says correct temperature and see if aircon works

reve the engine quickly once hot to 4 k and listen for a metallic buzzing rattleing sound

dont worry about rattles they all do especially passenger seat and dash

there is more but cant think

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

how old and wat sex the 1st owner was, i wouldnt buy 1 off a young lad/bloke that is 4 sure. if uve got that kind of cash look 4 one with a previous woman owner, ok you may have to sort out a few (many) scuffs caused by "shopping runs"and "parralel parking" & not to mention scratches on the windmirrors, rear pannels caused by trying to fit a car through a narrow gap which blatantly aint gona fit! but hey thats better than a thrased engine!

its under warranty for 3 years then just sell the damn thing lol

if the oil is cahnged and good quality oil is used you wont have any problems really

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

i thought the 3yr warranty on em didnt cover 2nd hand cars! so as swn as the 1st owner gets rid, even if it is b4 the 3yrs is up, the 2nd owner doesnt get any warranty?!

Yep warranty lasts 3 years 60,000miles, however many owners....bought mine with 7k on the clock, it was (and still is) unmarked coz the woman who had it before me was just as careful as I am with it.:)

Check that the headlight washerballs havent fallen out, about £7 each, but the labour charge is high to replace them...bumper off jobby.

Check that the washer bottle isnt leaking...replaced under warranty

Check that the temp on the air con is working..another warranty job,

If its an import then it will be cheaper....cant think of any thing else...:)

If its a UK car it will also be covered by Renault Assistance (AA) for 3 years - its the car thats covered not the owner so its transferable like the warranty.

Cheers guys - how much difference will there really be in full acceleration conditions between good and bad ones power wise? Will it be fairly noticeable?

If anyone can think of anything else let me know.