ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of getting cams

clio sport 172
Hey guys thinking of getting cams

are they worth getting and what brand would you say to go for

i have a 172 phase 2 with a sports cat and cat back exhaust

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Catcams 421's or the Pipers which are half the price but are re grinds.

RB Clio 182
Not really? £1500 of matched inlets, exhaust, cams, filter, map etc will still see ~15bhp. Same goes for RS2.

I wouldnt want to run my car on a generic map with those mods, id want a custom map tbh, but each to their own.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldnt want to run my car on a generic map with those mods, id want a custom map tbh, but each to their own.
My point is you said they're good with breating mods. I'm saying that they aren't in fact cost effective at all.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Can you tell the difference with the cams on the road mate? Or would you rather have £1400 knicker in the bank?

The cams were £320. The engine was apart anyway for other bits so £1400 got me cams, ported head, Supertech valves, new dephaser and a remap.

Can I feel it, yes the 173lbft is more torque than a RS2 manifold would have got me and for around the same or less money. Granted the 184bhp I've got isn't as much but in terms of torque it's much, much better.

Besides I'm getting ITBs this month so it'll be better again and the cams and headwork will come into effect more :)

Ph1
Same with mine Tom. Running Piper cams and ported head was making more torque than RS2's - iirc 175 lb/ft - 186bhp

phase 2 172
Not worth it IMO ,been there and done it ,had my 172 cup cammed by btm ,did feel a lot quicker at first , this was party due to the last owner cocking up the timing belt and it only running at 150 bhp,once cammed it ran at 175 bhp and 168 torque,But have since been in a friends 182 which ran 178 bhp with just normal breathing mods which felt just as quick.Looking at buying a 182 at the moment and will not be camming it ,think mine cost about 1500 all in this was Cambelt change ,cams and mapping by rs tuning here in Leeds.Hope this helps .

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I have Been to a rolling road days where good strong na Cars with other mods made more power than cammed cars waste of money imo. If your goin for decent power boost is the only way !