ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ticking noise

172 MKII FF
Hi,

I've recently noticed a slight ticking noise which every person I spoke to said it is probably the carbon cannister.

The other night after work I needed to get my footie kit from the boot and at the same time i thought i would move the car nearer to the door. That night it was umbelievably cold so im not sure if this could be part of the problem. I started the car a second time (after changing) and there was a loud ticking noise coming from the right hand side of the car. Same noise as the quiet ticking i've heard but just louder. After leaving the car for a while and revving it, the noise went altogether.

I was paranoid about the quiet ticking but this one off loud ticking has made me even more paranoid.

By the way, the car is a 02 Clio 172.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything I can do to test if it is the carbon cannister?

The car seems to have been fine since Friday night when I heard it.

Thanks,

172 MKII FF
Carbon canister! disconnect the plug, but it will bring a warning light on!

And can the carbon cannister make a really loud noise as well as a small ticking noise? If I unplug it, will the warning light be on for ever? Or will it go as soon as I plug it back in?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
rev it to like 5k whilst stationary. The ticking should go, then re appear after 30 secs or so

172 MKII FF
i THINK it will go out, but dont quote me 100%! yes, the ticking can vary!

Thanks.

Do you know if this is an actual fault with the carbon cannister that can be fixed by purchasing a new one or is it just meant to tick?

Also, what causes the ticking? Is it a flap or something that clicks open?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its the solinoid of the cannister. The whole unit is approx £45. Easy to swap too.

172 MKII FF
Its the solinoid of the cannister. The whole unit is approx £45. Easy to swap too.

Is there a guide of some sort because my mechanical ways are shite. I don't really want to be booking the car in a garage as it is ALWAYS in.

172 MKII FF
I'm totally confused as to why the ticking is occuring. Initially I thought the problem was the carbon cannister but i noticed tonight that the ticking only occurs when I dip the clutch and slightly rev the engine.

If I rev the engine without dipping the clutch the ticking doesn't seem to happen.

Could it be a problem other than the carbon cannister?

Just to let you know that I definately have heard the noise ticking from the right hand side of the car.

Last edited:
My carbon cannister ticks..and I brought a new one and it still ticks so I checked
the pipes for blockages and thats was fine.I was then told to get my cat tested..the results were fine..I spoke to renault, who went through their computer data base and they could not find any other reason for the ticking, and they only normally change the carbon cannister if there is a front end smash. So after all that it still ticks..but you become immune to it.

But if you still want to change it. remove the o/s wheel ,take the arch liner out..use a 13mm socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the bugger in. then unclip the sensor and the two pipes going to and from the offending artical..and bobs you uncle. then just reverse the process to fit the new one.