ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tighten up gear change

Clio 172
Im looking to tighten up my gear change, I would like the changes to be abit closer together and firmer.

How can I do this other than the obv short shifter? I have read that these can damage syncros etc

There is a guy in the forsale section selling a gear linkage conversion kit, Its to give it better feel and a firmness without doing the damage of a short shifter.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
From the sounds of your posts you're trying to make your clio like your old fiesta. They're completely different cars with completely different characteristics.

b/g 182, meg tourer
i found that when i changed all of the gearbox/engine mounts, it tightened up the gearchanges and it felt more positive. didn't shorten the throw tho.

Clio 172
From the sounds of your posts you're trying to make your clio like your old fiesta. They're completely different cars with completely different characteristics.

Pretty much, I drove the zs for first time in months today and the gear change was fantastic and so direct. So I want a tighter change in my clio

Evo 5 RS
Im looking to tighten up my gear change, I would like the changes to be abit closer together and firmer.

How can I do this other than the obv short shifter? I have read that these can damage syncros etc

they certainly don't help the syncros. It will never feel like your Fiestas box, even with a recon. It's just not one of the cars strong points

i found that fitting the uprated engine mounts and dogbone mount bushes has made my gear changes much smoother on my phase 1. not the cheapest things to buy and fit (especially the dog bone bushes) but feels much better changing gear and handling 'seems' better and tighter.

Stripped yozza'd cup
A shortshifter DOES NOT damage your synchros, it's people trying to rush their gearshifts that do the damage.
Buy a shortshifter and a Powerflex dogbone mount.

Just to say I've bought the kit Tony listed above, it's not fitted yet but looks very good quality, keeps the OE look of the gearstick, I've also bought the 25% shorter throw as well but fitting the gearstick mod first
along with the twisted dogbone poly bushes. He's called Yanoo on the forum, very easy to deal with and only waited an extra day for the quoted 5 day delivery, just down to Chritmas and the weather.

Regards Russ......

340i