ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

time for a change maybe

Hows it going guys and girls i currently own a nissan pulsar aka mr unreliable spent the last two years more off the road than on:mad: . So i'm fancying out the jap scene been looking at the 172 cups but have heard of some people they too are unreliable just wondering how true this is cos i ain't buying another ornament.

172 phase2 since2003
had mine for 4 yrs and never had any problems what so ever but have heard alot of slating that renault build quality is poor but not in my case at present

Broken Diesel Megane :(
you get what you pay for. renault could easy make solid built, bulletproof engines and use high quality materials for exteriors/interiors. but then they would be priced like bmw's/ merc's etc.

in 1 year of ownership i have needed 2 tyres.

MINI JCW
Not true.

Renaultsports don't really break down that often, you'll find the 'majority' on here won't have had a breakdown.

spot on. Renault mechanical seem to be fine, its niggling problem such as rattles and lights on the dashboard! Also some dealers are rubbish

tiTTy & SV650
never been let down by mine in 3 years. I've had to have electronic sensors re-calibrated / replaced mainly - under warranty.

Leaking shock absorbers are the most annoying feature I've had.

172 phase2 since2003
yeah i agree on rattles !! and nedding tyres every 8-10 thousand and it is true with what renault garage you attend i purchased mine from new at hardings in bovingdon hemel hemstead and they have always been first class with any queries i might have had in the past :approve:

Octavia VRS
it's like anything, depends on luck at times. I know people whose 172/182s haven't missed a beat, other folk I know have had problem after problem with theirs

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
The only issues I have had were caused by replacing parts with upgraded items, rattling manifold bolts, popped CV gaitors etc.

cheers guys they ain't as bad as people have made out then time to sell the nissan turdbox ain't to cercerned about rattles n stuff just general mechanical failure

cheers guys they ain't as bad as people have made out then time to sell the nissan turdbox ain't to cercerned about rattles n stuff just general mechanical failure

I can guarantee, you can buy a cup and rag it day in day out and it will be fine, so long as its serviced etc.

Thats the beauty of these cars and why I enjoy it more than either of my two scoobs. I was always in fear that they were gonna go bang lol.

Audi A4
Yeah agree with the above comments. The engines can take a battering and with a little bit of love will go forever. Definately a plus for the sports

172 phase2 since2003
cant wait till the morning !!!!!!
time to try out my exalto 2 205 45 16 and to se how they handel against my old contisports lol

172 cup
ive got a broken horn switch but everything else has been servicing which isnt very bad as things dont seem to wear quickly
that said if i could afford the running costs, the integra is the better car

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
had mine nearly three years, gets a pasting once warm everyday,never missed a beat. I just make sure oil is done every 6k.... they love a good redlining

not bad for 70k....... ;)

cup1206009.jpg

cup1206023-1.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I tend to think of it as lack of finish, rather than anything major.

LY V6 with Recaros
Had mine for about a year and a half now, had no problems so far *touch wood* It's great fun to drive, although a few rattles!

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
Mines be fine so far.

Once fully warmed up mine gets driven fairly hard everyday, it won't harm it as long as you have some mechanical sympathy!

I found the build quality to be far superior to my 206, which i always thought was okay.

Tangoed Works
AND as an added bonus you wont be pissing fuel away. I have had over 40 mpg on motorway journeys and get over 33 mpg urban all the time on super.

M2 Competition
My mate has a pulsar, has spent more time in the garage than on the road so far this year. Latest is a clutch and freewheel. Lots of people buy em and tune em, but as soon as you start tuning they break down constantly. 172 cupa are good, get a nice one for 6k mate. Wont be anywhere near as quick as your nissan though.

172 cup
My mate has a pulsar, has spent more time in the garage than on the road so far this year. Latest is a clutch and freewheel. Lots of people buy em and tune em, but as soon as you start tuning they break down constantly. 172 cupa are good, get a nice one for 6k mate. Wont be anywhere near as quick as your nissan though.

isnt the idea that it will be 100% quicker :)

Clio 172 mk2

Sounds familiar...Pulsar weak spot always was the gearbox/transmission.

I can say from my experience that the Clo is reliable....I've had my 172 for nearly 2 years and it's been a reliable car.