ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time to jump into the deep end... Which DSLR?

Clio 172 Mk2
Hi

Ive had a Panasonic FZ18 now for 2 months, and after spending a week snapping away in New York, I feel ready to get a `proper` camera. The FZ18 has been an excellent camera for me just to start off with, and the manual flexibility it has has given me the understanding to go all the way and get a DSLR. But what I want now is the extra quality of a DSLR especially at higher ISO/low light. One thing I had found was that the Image Stabilizer has been absolutely invaluable for me, and a DSLR for me must have this functionality. And it has to be reasonably compact.

Ive got 2 cameras shortlisted - Olympus E510 (twin lens kit) for £420, or a Nikon D60 (with VR lens) for £470. The Olys price looks good, especially bearing in mind it has 2 lenses (14-42mm, and 40-150mm) but most in the know swear by Nikons and Canons only.

Any ideas? Or perhaps another recommendations?

Last edited:
Yup your going to get lots of get a Canon or Nikon. The cost of high grade lenses and 2x crop sensor in the Olympus E-series is enough to put me off.

I'd go to a store and play with all the cameras in there, also take a look at what lenses you may want in the future and what you want to shoot and add up the cost for each brand. You may find that large aperture lenses are better than IS or a combination of both ultimately. Maybe the in Body IS in the Sony system is up your street etc.

You can now pick up a Canon 40D body only for 500 after rebate, its an amazing piece of kit, may also be worth having a feel in store... love mine :D

As Pete says get in a store and grab hold of all of the cameras, you will be surprised how your opinions might change. I had to use an Olympus E-400 for a while last year and I hated it, compared to my Nikon it just felt so awkward to use. Obviously your opinions might vary, so it's best to get a feel for them first.

The majority of us support Canon and Nikon because financially it makes a lot of sense. A 50mm 1.8 (as near to a must-have lens as it's possible to get) costs about £60-80 for the Canon and Nikon, for Olympus you are looking at £230+. They do have some amazing lens, but in the long run I would say it's best to stick with the 'big two'.

Also worth remembering that newer 'budget' Nikon DSLRs don't have an AF motor, so non AF-S/HSM lenses will not auto-focus. Go with a D80 upwards and you won't have that 'problem'.

^^ as above, although I find the AF motor is not an issue as there is a huge amount of lenses out there that have AF-S/HSM.

All depends how far you want to take your photography and in the long run how much you want to spend!

My D40 body costs less than the glass that sits on it!

As for compact... you wont get any more compact than the D40/D40x/D60! 400D/450D are larger.. but only by a tiny bit!

D40 + 18-55 + 55-200 VR - £414. IMO VR is not essential up to the 55mm.

http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/produ...ower-Twin-Kit&ProductID=2966&DepartmentID=100

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Mk2
Cheers for the advice guys! :)

Im now understanding the advantages of getting a Nikon or a Canon - the prices and sheer availability of lenses and accessories is much better than something like an Olympus, especially Four Thirds models like the E range.

I guess its all about how serious I am about photography and how far I want to go. The E-510 is seriously good value at just £420 with all the features it has, and off the shelf as it is, its unbeatable. Sure, the image quality with its smaller sensor is below a full DSLR, the viewfinder is a bit small, and the image size ratio is a bit wrong, but as an all in one package it seems perfect.

But.... if I do decide to go a bitfurther, and do decide to get a few more lenses, it works out considerably more expensive. Perhaps its worth getting the Oly, and selling the kit if I do decide to go further? JJ - that price for the Nikon kit is pretty impressive!

Im off work for the rest of the week, so Im gonna get out and about to get a feel of various cameras.

If anyone is interested in my FZ18 at a good price, have a look in the for sale section b4 i put it up on the flea bay.

I would stick with Nikon or Canon, but go use them both and sit what fits in your hand better and what menus you find better.

It's addictive once started.... my D40 has become less compact than it was, lol:

dsc00478ie2.jpg

Clio 172 Mk2
Right... it looks like Ill be joining the Canon camp! :)

Canon 400D with 18-55mm lens & free 2gb CF card from Tesco Direct - £360
Canon EF-S Zoom Lens - 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens from 7 day shop - £175

Total :- £535
Minus £45 cashback - Final total :- £490

Hows that sound?

E510 is miles better than the 400d! 400d is more comparable to the E410 which is just about to be replaced by the E420 which I had a play with at a preview at the weekend and is SUPERB!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Get your 400d from canon outlet. Its an ebay auction but it is direct from canon with a 1 year warranty and you can get it with kit lens for less than £300. I got mine 2 weeks ago from there and only paid £266 :)