ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tire choice

clio 182
hi all,

curerntly im running hankook rs2's but have just got a second set of wheels so i am looking to get some more track focused tires that dont need to be road legal.

my car is a 182 and mostly used on track, but im hoping to do some sprints/hills next year.

so what is everyone running on there cars? i know 888's are popular but is it more worth my time to get something like A048r's?

im new to tire choice and selection so any opinions or links so i can do some research is much appreciated!

thanks

Swift Sport
I'm sure Warren has used both RS2's and 888's, I think he rated the Hankooks but said the 888's were worth the extra.

If you're doing trackdays then 888s or A048s are your best bet. I run second hand 888s at the moment.

Nothing wrong with doing trackdays on road tyres though. RS2s are meant to be a good road/track tyre.

clio 182
the RS2's are very good on track, best tire i have used.... but with having the spare set of wheels i want to move onto more semi slick tires.

with the likes of A048's and 888's would you notice any differnce between them? is one better than the other?

im swaying more towards 888's as they are more popular so im finding more info and opinions about them!

I wouldnt have thought theres a staggering difference between the two, but I've only used 888s. And the difference between them and road tyres is staggering!

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm sure Warren has used both RS2's and 888's, I think he rated the Hankooks but said the 888's were worth the extra.

If you're doing trackdays then 888s or A048s are your best bet. I run second hand 888s at the moment.

Nothing wrong with doing trackdays on road tyres though. RS2s are meant to be a good road/track tyre.

I wouldnt have thought theres a staggering difference between the two, but I've only used 888s. And the difference between them and road tyres is staggering!

This to be honest. Hancooks are good for the money, but 888's are in a different league for me. You can run them to slicks and they'll still grip. And in the wet they are just as good as PE2's, if not better, on track. Can't comment on the road as i've got dedicated track wheels. Just get some second hand r888's. Mine weren't road legal when I got them, i've done two sessions at Oulton on them, and they still have plent left on them. I dont drive like a granny before anyone starts ;)

I was quite surprised how long my 888s are lasting too. Full day at Oulton and there was only a bit less tread. If you monitor the pressures etc and look after them properly they should be ok.

And as said, in the wet they were brilliant! People who say 888s dont work in the wet are chatting s**t. In full standing water then yes, they will be pretty scary, but in normal wet conditions they were shed loads better then I expected!

clio 182
Think 888's are the ones to go for then!

Will get myself a pressure gauge as well as the pressure seems to play a huge part in them!

clio 182
Think 888's are the ones to go for then!

Will get myself a pressure gauge as well as the pressure seems to play a huge part in them!