ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To turbo charge or not to turbo charge?

Clio Sport 182
Whats your opinion guys, would you think its more worthwhile going down the turbocharing route with my 182, or better off just buying another car eg. leon cupra R?

My 182 is coming up to 95,000 on the clock and has just had the gearbox fully rebuilt.
Pro's and con's of going down the turbo route with the clio?

Thanks!

A cupra r standard for standard will match a 182, stage 1 map will pull slightly, but stage 2 on will obliterate a 182, handling wise they need a fair chunk of cash thrown at them to make them handle as well as a 182. But they are a great all rounder. My last one was awesome. 360bhp with 340lb-ft, kwv3's, rear arb etc. would have another tomorrow.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Had a stage 2 LCR recently, 280-290bhp went like a rocket ship, just had a lot of weight to shift about on track so wasn't that nimble. Strangly I did a wet track day in it and the driver aids made it a weapon lol

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
A cupra r standard for standard will match a 182, stage 1 map will pull slightly, but stage 2 on will obliterate a 182, handling wise they need a fair chunk of cash thrown at them to make them handle as well as a 182. But they are a great all rounder. My last one was awesome. 360bhp with 340lb-ft, kwv3's, rear arb etc. would have another tomorrow.
How would that compare to a 182 with say, 250bhp?

clio 182
if you like your 182 and you like boost, do it. epic cars once boosted and once you have put all the effort and research into how you want it done its alot more rewarding than just buying an already standard boosted car and just having it mapped

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
If you do boost it, you need to be committed to it for the long term (i.e. forever) else it just doesn't make sense financially. You need to make sure it delivers the power smoothly and puts it down (diff etc) else there isn't much point boosting it tbh. So, if you do go for it, don't scrimp on it. A badly boosted clio is worse than a standard clio IMO.

However, they are quick standard, but when boosted they happily sit in the 'fast car' category. :)

clio 182
I need to look at gearbox upgrades now, what do u have? Standard box and lsd? Seen people talking about the dci box. What a good strong setup and wat sort of price?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Depends what horsepower / torque and the 'nature' of the charged set up. On mine, it is a standard box with a Gripper LSD fitted. That is with 250 bhp and 220lb ft with a supercharger, so a smoother power curve. Big figure turbos which deliver it in one large post 4k packet will lunch a standard box quickly.

clio 182
Well its at CT now being forged running the same turbo i had on standard internals, GT2860rs and expecting 330/340. Im no mechanic so what the most cost effective way to get that 02 box and lsd and whas involved in making it fit a 182?

Well its at CT now being forged running the same turbo i had on standard internals, GT2860rs and expecting 330/340. Im no mechanic so what the most cost effective way to get that 02 box and lsd and whas involved in making it fit a 182?
Andy can do an vw box conversion for you,if its already there speak to him.

clio 182
Andy can do an vw box conversion for you,if its already there speak to him.
Yeh its ther, ive msged him. Could be abit tight for cash till after january tho with havimg this forged build atm aswell, could mayb squeeze it. Il see what he says.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Depends what horsepower / torque and the 'nature' of the charged set up. On mine, it is a standard box with a Gripper LSD fitted. That is with 250 bhp and 220lb ft with a supercharger, so a smoother power curve. Big figure turbos which deliver it in one large post 4k packet will lunch a standard box quickly.
how much did your sc build cost?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
how much did your sc build cost?

If you can get the kit secondhand (like I did) then to buy it and get it fitted and mapped I'd budget £5k all in.

But...I already had a gripper diff, which is another £2k fitted.

If you are budgeting for a new kit, with a diff, fitted and mapped, then I'd say you need £8k.

As I said earlier, you should only really do it if you're planning on keeping the car a while.

Clio 182
Would it be possible to do it on a cheaper budget? I dont mean by cutting corners, but if for example you built it within the capability of the standard engine, i guess it would be a low boost setup. Or for the gains would itb be a better route?

Just wondering thats all:relaxed:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Would it be possible to do it on a cheaper budget? I dont mean by cutting corners, but if for example you built it within the capability of the standard engine, i guess it would be a low boost setup. Or for the gains would itb be a better route?

Just wondering thats all:relaxed:

Mine is on a standard engine. It can be cheaper, I.e. without the diff, if you did the fitting itself etc.

Clio Sport 182
I would plan on keeping the Clio for a while because i do love it, but if i was to sell it and get a different car it would be one that is turbo charged. I think seeing as ive already spent a load on it having the gearbox done then i may aswell keep it anyway rather than loose money selling it.

I do love the idea of having work done to the engine and especially having a turbo conversion installed but seeing as im not very mechanically minded when it comes to specifics im still undecided.

Clio Sport 182
My best advice would be to see if you could get a passenger ride / lap in one local to you. It will help make your mind up either way.

Where are you based?
Thats a good shout, im down in the South West, near Plymouth.

320d
Seems pointless to me. Just buy a Megane R26, map it and get decent coilovers if you want to go fast on track.

If you want to just have fun on track nothing wrong with Clio with a bit of weight reduction, properly setup coilovers, decent brakes and track focused rubber. My Clio weights 989 kg (was corner weighted) and its great fun. I could afford to boost it, but to me its pointless.

Each to their own mind, a big boost Clio would be fun for a few weeks, but probably only for a few weeks, look how many are sold <6 months post boosting.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Seems pointless to me. Just buy a Megane R26, map it and get decent coilovers if you want to go fast on track.

If you want to just have fun on track nothing wrong with Clio with a bit of weight reduction, properly setup coilovers, decent brakes and track focused rubber. My Clio weights 989 kg (was corner weighted) and its great fun. I could afford to boost it, but to me its pointless.

Each to their own mind, a big boost Clio would be fun for a few weeks, but probably only for a few weeks, look how many are sold <6 months post boosting.

Have you driven a boosted clio?

A mapped r26 would run what, circa 270bhp. That's 196 bhp per ton. A boosted clio will be between 250 to 300 Bhp per ton. That is quite a difference and on track the two won't be competing (driver dependant).

I agree that a standard clio will be fun on track. But it won't be as fun as a boosted one.

Last edited:
  clio 182
like cub said earlier you have to be commited, its a huge waiste of money if you decide you want something else. i cant understnad why you would get bored of a well setup up and healthy running boosted clio tho. ive had mine boosted for a year and a half and ive just put it back in to have more work done and i cant see me getting shot of it in the distant future.

Westfield
I was so close to dropping my car to Clioturbo, but I was wary of spending 4k on a converison and being limited to around 250bhp+ by the gearbox. The thought of then spending a few more grand on a gearbox conversion to really use anything close to 300bhp+ made my mind up.
I was not confident that 250bhp would have kept me happy with the investment over a number of years I would have wanted to keep it after spending that much.
No doubt it would be great fun though, depends how you want to spend your own money really!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It is horses for courses. Regarding 250bhp per ton, to put some context on it and how much 'fun' it is;

- 2014 Porsche 911 (991) Targa S: 254bhp per ton

- Audi r8 Spyder v8: 240.9bhp per ton

- Ford Focus RS500: 238.4 bhp per ton

- Mercedes c63 AMG (2007 onwards): 260bhp per ton.

300bhp per ton has you in 997 Turbo and Aston DBS territory.

Whilst I'm not arguing the meagre clio has the same levels of refinement or engineering or curb appeal, the money I have spent to get similar levels of performance is significantly less.

@Cub. That's a perfect application of man maths and actual maths.

OP If you have the money and like the clio do it. The 'loads of people sell them after 6 months' whilst it may be true, it is also the case that lots of people chop and change cars whether they are turbo'd, charged, projects etc or not!

Westfield
I agree, the power to weight of a turbo clio is up there with much more expensive machinery and I love how raw the feel of a 182 is compared to other hot hatches I'ves driven.
Got friends with modified VXRs, S3s, GTIs all close or above 300bhp and I wasn't at all tempted to join them down that route.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I agree, the power to weight of a turbo clio is up there with much more expensive machinery and I love how raw the feel of a 182 is compared to other hot hatches I'ves driven..

Agreed. One of my best friends has an ep3 CTR and it feels fast, but it's almost too refined and just takes away the fun of it for me. You know you're going fast, but you don't feel it if that even makes sense.

Ph1
Would love to supercharge mine but read they don't like miles so probably no good for a everyday car and turbo-ing, would be worried it would ruin the way the car drives.

SQ5
Would love to supercharge mine but read they don't like miles so probably no good for a everyday car and turbo-ing, would be worried it would ruin the way the car drives.

It doesn't ruin the way it drives at all as it's such a linear power band, it just feels like a very powerful N/A car.

SQ5
It's all well and good buying a faster a car but then parts are usually more expensive aswell as most running costs.

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
i turboed my daily clio for £2200 including mapping, if you source parts from various places it works out well, i paid scoff to fit and map the ecu so the actual parts cost around 1k for everything bar ecu

If I had the cash I'd do it rather than buying a new car. Saying that the only new car I would probably buy is a Megane 275.

That said if I had over 2k I would be buying 2k's worth of suspension brakes and tyres over a turbo...

clio 182
Just buy a faster car!
People always say that to me and i can understand why. But i cant and never have had the same enjoyment out of gaining big power in wat still looks like a standard clio (or any well moded car). Evry one knows what to expect from standard high powered cars. But havin something that u av put time and effort into thats up ther with them or beyond is alot more rewarding. Buying something a company has created or driving something u have created to me is alot more satisfying.