ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TonkaTruck's Clio dCi 100

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
TonkaTruck's Clio dCi 100 Project

Due to a couple of comments in the Non-Sports In Here.. thread, after I posting a few picture's.
I thought I'd create a timeline to show everyone how my dCi has grown. Hope you enjoy!

Service History Since Purchased:

41,685 miles - Serviced - Fuel Filter, Oil Change, - ~17/10/2010
41,685 miles - Taxed & Tested - 08/11/2010
45,365 miles - Remapped by PowerTune Scotland - ~25bhp ~50lb/ft - 07/07/2011
47,779 miles - New Genuine Cam Belt, Auxiliary Belt + New Tensioner's, Oil Change, Air Filter & Fuel Filter - 17/10/2011
47,870 miles - Passed MOT without any Advisory's + Taxed - 28/10/2011

For all services and oil changes I have only ever used G Force Full Synthetic 5W - 40.

Maintenance:
6258187424_be80af601f_z.png

6258191246_9bd7393627_z.png

Future Plans:
Just to make the car look clean, I don't want to go down the 'Sport Replica' route as I feel, why make it into something which it isn't?
If I wanted a sport I would have purchased one. So therefore Colour code throughout, Eibach Sportline's & Koni Adjustable Dampers.
Just to make the car look clean and presentable.

The Basic Car:
The car is a 2005, but has a 54 number plate. As standard the car comes with:
  • Cool Pack (Air-conditioning & Climate Control)
  • Automatic Headlight / Windscreen Wipers
  • Factory Fitted Xenon Headlight's
  • 6 Disc CD Changer
  • Electric Sunroof
6258363513_cbfde0474a_z.png

Extra Modifications:
  • Remapped to ~122bhp - ~180lbft
  • Recaro Trendlines
  • 172 Rear Half Leather Bench
  • 172 Rear Bumper
  • Renault Sport Front Grille
  • Front Silver Visions
  • Colour Coded Side Strips, Door Handles + Front Bumper Inserts
  • LED Rear Numberplate Light
  • 501 LED Sidelights
  • Polished Engine Mount
  • 5mm Spacers
  • Honda Civic Type R Aerial
  • Private Plate's
6258365259_e2e8b19333_z.png

The First Modifications:
The first round of modifications were simply, purchased SilverVision's for the front.
LED Rear Number Plate Light.
Honda Civic Type R Aerial.
Polished Top Engine Mount.
Mainly the cheap modifications, to make it look clean and tidy.

6258183674_20e8392ecb_z.png

April 2010
After realising when I put my foot down, quite a considerable amount of black smoke was coming out of the rear of the car, I decided to try and source the problem.
First port of call was to check the EGR Valve was clean. To my surprise it was 'clogged' up.
At the end of April I also decided to purchase myself a RenaultSport front grille. This was to tidy the front end up, due to the horrible non sport grille which look's a bit outdated.

November 2011
Finally got round to purchasing a Renault Sport 172 rear bumper. I had been looking for one, for a while now.
Didn't want to colour code a bumper and had to be in brilliant condition.
This one popped up on eBay after someone was sadly breaking their 172 Sport. Perfect condition and fit the bill correctly!

6258176984_6924ce0c4c_z.png

October 2011
Due to coming close to 50,000 miles and not having the Cam Belt changed in it's 6 year's life span I decided to order the part's.
A big thanks to Tom at West Renault's for helping me get theses sorted. Genuine Renault Cam Belt + Tensioner and Genuine Renault Auxiliary Belt + Tensioner.

After having no luck or trust in trying to source a garage in my area, I decided to take the bold decision, and do it myself.
At least I know myself it has been done correctly and not just a 'cheap job'. I stand by this decision as I know now it is all set-up correctly!

As well as changing the Cam Belt and Auxiliary Belt the car was also serviced. Oil changed with G Force Full Synthetic 5W -40, Air Filter & Fuel Filter.

6258180910_bd3983c507_z.png

Below are some picture's which I captured while in the process of changing both the belts & tensioner's.

6259001100_f5243b247e_z.png

6258476099_ab002a670a_z.png

6259004180_4bfe0fe9d0_z.png

Finally a video, showing the first time the engine has been started since the belts where changed.
We obviously did the test before hand, too check it was timed correctly by rotating the the cam shaft two turn's,
making sure it aligned with the sprocket locating hole and cam shaft locating pin. So we had all faith nothing could go wrong!

Had the car in for it's MOT on 28/10/2011 and passed, with no advisory's too. So decided to paint my front grille gloss black.
Am currently just getting use to it. My first opinion was it looks a lot better than the 'grey' colour.
Not the best before and after picture but you get the idea. :)

6291035345_886535ae1a_z.png

November 2011
She has now been fully colour coded. Much harder than it seems to colour coded. Spent a good week preparing the strips to be primed,
then another week painting them and getting them shinning to put on the car. Pleased with the final result.

6363504779_21616deecb_z.png

I also fitted LED Side Lights to the car, purchased on the 5th, but did not receive until the 23rd. Better late than never though.
Look's so much better than standard. Take's the egg away from the front even more.

6390747813_ec64fd90f8_z.png

6390742821_fdba0bd786_z.png

December 2011
Patrolling the Internet on a Sunday night bored, I came across some Recaro Trendline's for sale which where literally 2 minute's down the road from me.
Sadly I couldn't get the time of work, so had to kindly ask my Dad to retrieve them. All I can say is, Thank you Dad.
Monday couldn't go fast enough at work as I knew that evening I could have a pair of Recaro Trendline's with Clio subframes sitting in the sitting room.
Fitted them that weekend, using a resistor from Maplins to make sure the Airbag light would not come on.
For anyone's future reference the code from Maplins for the resistor is M3R3.
They really do look beautiful in the Clio. Seating position is a little lower than standard seats, personally I love this.
Only dislike I have about them is, you need a small backside to fit in them properly. :lol:

6545045689_b532ae05f1_z.png

6643723001_f67e0839ab_z.png

Future Plans
Cup Spoiler
Eibach Sportlines
Koni Adjustable's?
Alcantara Doorcards
Spacers

If anyone has any of the above, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Cheers lads! :)

Managed to get a Cup Spoiler, so that should tidy up the back end even more.

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Cheers lads :)
Glad you liked the write up, been steadily adding to it as I have added modifications or anything substantial mechanical wise.

Cup spoiler will be going on this weekend after a good polish.

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
January 2012
Always wanted a cup spoiler, but didn't want to go through the hassle of painting one.
Then this popped up, so I snapped at the chance!
Had a little bit of a well know common problem though, with the connection to the LED brake light.
So dismantled it all, gave all the connections a good clean and now works a treat.
Here are some before and after picture's, with standard and cup spoiler.

6696387741_1120f9d533_z.png

6696399395_aa9ba6c976_z.png

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
March 2012
Not a major update, but the day has finally come. 50,000 miles!
First big milestone for her and still running sweet as a nut.

6807266028_2c4e2558fc_z.png

Hopefully when all the bad weather had disappeared she will be treated to Eibach Sportlines, Shocks & Spacers.

182+1.5DCI+S2000
Epic project i got the dci 85 and that's fun to drive ;) the 100 mapped must pull nice
only 50000 :p i got 90k on mine and nothing has gone wrong yet (fingers cross) its like a tank(the engine not the car *pokes plastic side panels lol ) ! had it since new.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Lovely looking motor.

I am thinking of getting one of these as i want to start focusing on putting money away to move out.

What are these like? How much to fill up? How many miles to a tank etc. Also is it worth getting them remapped? was there a big difference in the MPG?

Also is there any common problems i should look out for when viewing them.

I do apologise for all of the questions but your motor seems lovely so you must have done somethign right!

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Had quite a few updates since this.
Fitted Alacantara Doorcard's and a 172 rear bench.
Also have the following to fit:

RS 172/182 Steering wheel

DSCF2695-1.jpg

Eibach Sportline springs

DSCF2689-1.jpg

Xenon's with black inserts.

Lovely looking motor.

I am thinking of getting one of these as i want to start focusing on putting money away to move out.

What are these like? How much to fill up? How many miles to a tank etc. Also is it worth getting them remapped? was there a big difference in the MPG?

Also is there any common problems i should look out for when viewing them.

I do apologise for all of the questions but your motor seems lovely so you must have done somethign right!

It costs me £55 to fill the tank from nearly empty. With a heavy right foot, I still cannot get the trip computer to read less than 50mpg.
If you take it easy on the motorway, you will get 65+ mpg; without even trying.

As long as you look after the car, with regular service's it should last a life time.

Remapping the car has totally transformed it. A lot smoother and surprises many other car's.
4mpg extra, 45lb/ft and 25bhp.

Obviously, remapping the car put's extra strain on the gearbox and clutch.
But now with the option of buying a upgraded clutch from Black Diamond, it should be OK on the clutch front.
Saying that, mine is still running the original clutch and showing no signs excessive wear.

Common problem's I read about are probably only the Turbo & Sunroof rattle. Every now and again Injector's pop up.
With the turbo, if you let it cool down for the last 5 minute's of your journey; it should be OK.
There is a buyers guide on here from Edde

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Sweet, mine is remapped just shy of 98 bhp on a mild map. Going for an agresive map soon tho, bringing my 80 up to around 110bhp :). Those springs u have just got are the same as mine, had mine up on the stands today to do my hand brake cable.

One question, since you have had a remap, is your engine running quieter or more tappy, mine seems to be a little more tappy :S

172 Cup
It will look good with them bits on, Thought you have already got xenons? Ive just ordered my sportlines so they will be going on at the weekend!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
he has grey xenons hes now got black ones, dci owners have so much extra money from their low fuel bills they can afford to do crazy s**t like that (hence his recaros and surprized he doesnt have sachs yet ;) )

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Why no coilovers dude? :dapprove:

I tired them, but couldn't get away with them for work purpose's. :(
I have my finger's crossed the Sportline's will be a bit more friendlier.

he has grey xenons hes now got black ones, dci owners have so much extra money from their low fuel bills they can afford to do crazy s**t like that (hence his recaros and surprized he doesnt have sachs yet ;) )

I wish I was rolling in it. :cool:
As Martin has said; the car was fitted with factory grey Xenon's, but going to try black inserts to see if it suites the car or not.

One question, since you have had a remap, is your engine running quieter or more tappy, mine seems to be a little more tappy :S

She's a lot more quieter now, also a lot smoother.
Must have had a bad map or something is not working correctly.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
As it

It costs me £55 to fill the tank from nearly empty. With a heavy right foot, I still cannot get the trip computer to read less than 50mpg.
If you take it easy on the motorway, you will get 65+ mpg; without even trying.

As long as you look after the car, with regular service's it should last a life time.

Remapping the car has totally transformed it. A lot smoother and surprises many other car's.
4mpg extra, 45lb/ft and 25bhp.

Obviously, remapping the car put's extra strain on the gearbox and clutch.
But now with the option of buying a upgraded clutch from Black Diamond, it should be OK on the clutch front.
Saying that, mine is still running the original clutch and showing no signs excessive wear.

Common problem's I read about are probably only the Turbo & Sunroof rattle. Every now and again Injector's pop up.
With the turbo, if you let it cool down for the last 5 minute's of your journey; it should be OK.
There is a buyers guide on here from Edde

Hi mate keep up the good work.

Also thank you very much for the advise I really appreciate it.

I have read a lot about the egr valve going wrong do you know anything about this?

Also one last thing who done your remap and how much did it cost?

Thanks dan

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Yes they do. Any updated photos with the Sportline springs and 172 wheel steven? :)

Sportline's are still to fit. Keep getting side tracked every weekend I plan to do it.
They WILL be on before FCS... Hopefully!

172 Hillclimb/Sprint
I don't know what is neater, the write up or the car. A+ grade for sure. This makes me want to get rid of my 1.4 for one of these so much. what is the MPG like after the remap for a combined cycle, around town and leisurely driving?

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
This is still the best looking MK2 DCI imo

Thanks Glenn, brilliant praise! :)

I don't know what is neater, the write up or the car. A+ grade for sure. This makes me want to get rid of my 1.4 for one of these so much. what is the MPG like after the remap for a combined cycle, around town and leisurely driving?

Around town I get about 50-55mpg, but I only drive a 10 mile round trip to work and home.
So she doesn't even get warmed up, before I stop.

On long journeys I can get 60+mpg without thinking.
Obviously, if you drive the car like you did before you remapped it, you really notice the mpg improvement.
But if you have a heavy foot and use the extra power, you don't notice it too much or at all in some cases.

A little update:
I am currently in the process of refurbishing some Turini's in Anthracite.
Hard job refurbishing them yourself, really time consuming. But will be worth it in the end.
However my OCD is kicking in, I won't have them with a flicker wrong before they go on my car. :)
Hopefully be ready in a couple of week!

A little sneak peak of them fitted:
DSCF2790-1.jpg

I am still to fit Eibach Spotline springs, so the Turnin's should fit the arches brilliantly when finished.