ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tools for Diagnostics

Renault Clio 1.2 dynamiq
Hey guys,

I want to start getting a bit more technical with cars, including my own clio, and wanted to get some advice from you fellas......

I was wondering what sort of hardware i will need to get to be able to do diagnostics on my clio, and other cars. I want it for stuff like reading codes etc etc, and also checking airbag faults, erasing crash data possible, resetting lights...........

Also, where can i find, or buy good software for this use? i.e. airbag resetter by tachosoft, im going to be running it off a laptop obviously......

Whats the best way to go about this?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i was interested in this also , someone made a thread not to long ago saying they bought everything to do it . think you need a obd2 to serial cable thhen a serial to usb cable and the software loaded .

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
type in obd2 code readers on ebay that is all you need.
the little orange hand held thing. the 380 version will be fine.

cost about 30 delivered i think. plugs into the on board diagnostics port (obd) inthe car.

172 & LCR
http://www.enginecheck.co.uk/pro/

I'm using this software I've used it on Clios, Meganes, Nissan Primera, Ford Focus and its worked every time & clears fault codes.
Petrol cars 2000 onwards
Diesel 2004 onwards

It comes with an elm 327 interface to plg between laptop and car.

If you send them your details you can get trial software that will do the basics if you've already got an elm 327 interface.
Hope this helps.

Renault Clio 1.2 dynamiq
are all of these capable of reading airbag faults? Also, what about resetting the airbag light?

RS CLIO 197
are all of these capable of reading airbag faults? Also, what about resetting the airbag light?

yep - all should be capable of resetting/clearing codes faults :D

but you need to remember you have to clear the fault first then reset :D

Renault Clio 1.2 dynamiq
yep - all should be capable of resetting/clearing codes faults :D

but you need to remember you have to clear the fault first then reset :D

When you say this, do you mean for example, if the problem is with the passenger airbag, i should get the airbag replaced, then i can reset the light?

Will the elm327 cable be good for reading and clearing airbag lights on the clio?

RSC 182 Cup
From my experiences using an ELM 327a on my 2005 182 Cup (CB21) you can only get very limited connectivity to the engine ECU. Even then, only certain programs will work and they will not pick up all the engine fault codes.

I doubt very much you will get any airbag info from the OBDII port using an ELM327. You need the Renault CLIP system to do that sort of thing.