ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TOP SPEEDS? 160-170MPH can this be done?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I had an indicated 170 in the vee, GPS was 156, still going too! But had to break as there was a TVR gaining quickly!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
JC5 from a DCI and 400hp would get you there. Why bother though when for the same price as a 172 you could get something that can already do 170mph?

It's A Reno
Your main problem is the car's drag.

As we all know, the RS clios hits the wall at 115 to 120 mph.
Adding 30 mph to the top speed would require a serious increase in bhp nevermind anything else.

JC5 from a DCI and 400hp would get you there. Why bother though when for the same price as a 172 you could get something that can already do 170mph?

400bhp would cost an arm and a leg to acheive and must be a nacker to controll, i know id really honestly like a sierra rs500 cosworth that will cream up these figures easily, BUT i was just wondering if it could actually hit 170 at all..

i guess 140 is where il be stuck at for a while, just some of the people on here get 145 with engine/train work.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Drag isnt an issue if you have enough power, but gear ratios are.

182 has a theoretical limit of 155mph with an 8000rpm limiter.

But and this is the big question....

WHY!!!! Our limit is 70mph.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I can hit the limiter in my 172 very easily (got boost innit) . Not sure what it is reving out to, but have seen the speedo at 150mph without much trouble, but it feels unstable as hell.

RS 172+
As we all know, the RS clios hits the wall at 115 to 120 mph.
Really? Why do Renault advertise something like 139 mph max? If they clearly aren't capable of that sort of speed then they should be stating that surely?

I need education!

330i. E30 Touring.
Really? Why do Renault advertise something like 139 mph max? If they clearly aren't capable of that sort of speed then they should be stating that surely?

I need education!

They will get to around 140 eventually.

Saying they hit a brick wall is indicating they lose all pull at over 120mph.

I need education!

He means this is the point where the drag starts to become too much. It's also around about where you need 5th gear. They will do 140mph.

It's A Reno
They will do 138 ish, but the acceleration goes off at about 115 to 120 mph, and then they climb to max speed but it takes a little time.

Lol, too slow, what he said ^

can i hit 150mph in a 172 cup? upping the bhp yeah but i mean will the gearing allow it? faster 0-60 times ofcourse but i mean top end flat out, 150mph achieavable?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
142.1mph. is VMAX(GPS NOT SPEEDO) on my 182.

Autobahn tested. (on 15's)

Last edited:
  RS 172+
They will get to around that speed, but it takes a while.
Ah OK. A couple of weeks ago I had my 172 up to an indicated 125 and it was still pulling... albeit slowly.

The car felt very stable though and thought it may have given me a little more. 140 maybe?

(alas now back in the UK) :(

Black 172 PH2
Not being funny mate, but why are you chasing such high top speeds? just seems you'd be spending lots of money to get there mate.

I've got my 172 FF to just under 140 on the speedo, then realized just how fast i was going and slowed right down!!

There fast enough imo, unless you want to lose your license.

IMO cornering ability, and how your skills execute it, are far more improtant than power and speed. As for the road, forget it. You'll die trying to do both.

How many race tracks would the Clio get up to speed on? I've only tracked mine around Rockingham International Long so far, and the max I reached was ~115mph on the pit straight before braking hard for the chicane. In fact I barely bother shifting into 5th for the duration. I could have used lower overall gearing, not more speed.

I'm not sure about other circuits?

Mine was on the autobhan :)

Me too. Mine has done 140gps more than once. In fact I used to enjoy the liberating experience of doing whatever I felt was safe. Not much of a reason to spend thousands building a 160mph Clio, though. It's not what they are about.

Absolutely. I was certanlty enjoying suprising a 3.2 v6 s-line audi on accelerating upto 100mph, same with a fiat coupe. Trying to teach them its not all about top line speed. 160bhp and 1000kg is awesome round a track :)

Just once though its good to take it up to the end of 5th :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I wouldn't want to be able to do 140+ in a Clio.

A blow-out at anything above 100 would result in a messy end I would think.

I'd rather quicker acceleration than top-end speed imo

172 Race Car
How many race tracks would the Clio get up to speed on? I've only tracked mine around Rockingham International Long so far, and the max I reached was ~115mph on the pit straight before braking hard for the chicane. In fact I barely bother shifting into 5th for the duration. I could have used lower overall gearing, not more speed.

I'm not sure about other circuits?
Bedford's back straight is about 120-125 mph (I think, wasnt realy looking) You need 5th gear for sure.

Oulton Park is 100mph max

Bedford's back straight is about 120-125 mph (I think, wasnt realy looking) You need 5th gear for sure.

yeh, your gonna struggle anywhere else tbh, rockingham straight as roy said, brunters 'runway' and if you get a good run round thruxton you will crack 5th (back straight at donny too)

but its pointless to acheive/aim for the said speeds unless you plan to live on a runway or the utah salt flats

172 Race Car
Yea but loads of people have 'private runwyas' remember. I tried to buy one a while ago but they are all sold to cs members and barry boys

M2 Competition

You can top 130 before braking on back straight at bedford.

Is one of the quicker tracks though.

I think op was asking out of curiosity, he's not creating a drag clio, so no need for people to post 'why?'. Because he asked why, thats why!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
If you want proper speeds then spend £5000 ish on a proper superbike and frighten the crap outa yourself ! 200+ easy.....

Insignia SRi
Mines got an 8k limiter and mine will do 140 without too much hassle but dont like to do it very often as you dont want something going wrong at that speed!!

Absolutely. I was certanlty enjoying suprising a 3.2 v6 s-line audi on accelerating upto 100mph, same with a fiat coupe. Trying to teach them its not all about top line speed. 160bhp and 1000kg is awesome round a track :)

Just once though its good to take it up to the end of 5th :)
A 20vt one will do a genuine 155mph (in standard form) the speedo will say about 170 though. The also do a ton in about 14.5 secs (standard form) In a straight line they are a weapon, round bends not so though.
I had my old one round to 150 beans on a private run way, loads & loads left in it.