ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

topical topic - winter tyres.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
anyone know about best tyre/wheel combo for winter tyres - no half bait theories, experience led replies please.

I'm thinking re studded tyres with a thin 15" wheel etc.

Lionel Richie
there is info in the handbook on approved wheel/tyre sizes IIRC

when i lived in Sweden it was law to have winter tyres fitted between i think Nov 1st until March 1st, great idea, but a set of wheels and tyres was £800 for the cheapest set (the studded tyres were even more!) but you would get around 2-3seasons out of them

i think its law in the rest of euroupe

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
just getting about - i'd use chains if they'd fit :)

I've drove around Europe - did a lot in Switzerland and it's law there.

DJB

182 Cup RB Stripes
just getting about - i'd use chains if they'd fit :)

I've drove around Europe - did a lot in Switzerland and it's law there.

Chains do fit.....

I got it down to 2 mins per side for fitting in the end.

DSCN0132.jpg

there is info in the handbook on approved wheel/tyre sizes IIRC

when i lived in Sweden it was law to have winter tyres fitted between i think Nov 1st until March 1st, great idea, but a set of wheels and tyres was £800 for the cheapest set (the studded tyres were even more!) but you would get around 2-3seasons out of them

i think its law in the rest of euroupe

I dont think anywhere is Europe has a winter tyre law, there might be recommendations to use them but no specific laws as few European countries have a winter like Scandinavians ones where all 3 do have this winter tyre rule.

DJB

182 Cup RB Stripes
where did you get the chains from? do they not scratch the allows?

I got them from Halfrauds, only £55.

There is some potential for them to scratch the alloys, but they haven't yet.

I don't keep my car showroom clean, so i'm not fussed about scratches anymore.

Definately law in Germany. My boss lives there and he got done for not having them.

Only in certain [high alt.] areas AFAIK and is likely a case whereby if you're on the wrong tyre in the snowy conditions then you're liable to be fined/prosecuted (there's no period of dates that specify when winter tyres must be fitted). Most of Europe has a milder climate than ours!!

Last edited:
  Clio DCi 80
Its not law to have winter tyres on in the winter in germany. But it is illegal to have summer tyres on in the winter! (i.e., most uk cars would b illegal over there) You are allowed to have just all weather tyre on, but most uk drivers fit summer tyres, which would be illegal in winter in germany.

Chelsea tractor
Mud and Snow tyres are fine for anything that we are likely to encounter over here. You only really need studded tyres when there is a lot of ice and hard packed snow tbh.

Michelin Alpin's are what I've always had. They've survived a few ski seasons, have travelled about 25k and they've still got more tread than brand new summer tyres!

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
I've been told by 6 different people that chains don't fit a Trophy due to the lower clearance of the top of the tyre to the bottom of the suspension - it's a couple of mm lower than a cup due to different springs.

Anyone know what the thinnest wheel is that I can get away with with an offset of ET45 on a trophy?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Only in certain [high alt.] areas AFAIK and is likely a case whereby if you're on the wrong tyre in the snowy conditions then you're liable to be fined/prosecuted (there's no period of dates that specify when winter tyres must be fitted). Most of Europe has a milder climate than ours!!

I'm told by my swiss relatives that they have winter tyre rules - I think it's a liability ruling rather than a law as such though.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
I don't think you're meant to exceed 30kph having said that i'm fairly sure they're not meant to be used in the UK as the roads are gritted (when they get round to it)