ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towing a Car transporter

Clio Williams 1,2 and 3
Im after some advice on towing a car transporter, i have a Renault Kangoo Van 1.9D

Could some please advise whats the total weight i can tow, would i be able to tow a car transporter with a clio on the back ?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
No. Car and trailer combo will be heavier than the unladen towing vehicle.

From the DVLA

''Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle''

PH Quick
If you've got an old type license with either B + E or B1 ( I think ) then you can tow a trailor over 750kgs. If it's a newer license you can't tow anything that weighs more than 750kgs without doing a test.

Not sure if that helps

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
If you've got an old type license with either B + E or B1 ( I think ) then you can tow a trailor over 750kgs. If it's a newer license you can't tow anything that weighs more than 750kgs without doing a test.

Not sure if that helps

Incorrect.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

In need a B+E if your combo doesn't fit into this group...

''Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle''

So you can tow over 750kg.

The original poster would need to do the trailer test if he wanted to tow with the kangoo. If he had a heavier tow vehicle he'd be fine.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
For example its legal for me to tow my track clio.

Tow car 1500kg + Clio 900kg + trailer 400kg = 2800kg

Well under the 3500kg MAM

And the trailer at 1300kg is under the 1500kg of the towing vehicle.

Clio Williams 1,2 and 3
Right so i can tow a car transporter plus a car , but ill need to-do my trailer license?

I thought the Kangoo wouldn’t be able to tow a Car Transporter plus trailer?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You'll be able to tow it with out taking the license if you find a heavier tow car. Kangoo is too light.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Not really. It would tow it. But its a lot of weight behind one hense why i suggest getting a heavier car.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
No worries.

Its a massive gray area with most people. Generally people think us young en can't tow trailers at all.

Even had one trailer company that wouldn't rent one to me. Now i have a copy of that website page in my tow car.